PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing lawnmower

Bruce Page
09-08-2017, 9:42 PM
My 3 year old Troy Bilt, Lowes special started a consistent RPM pulsing today; vroom, pause, vroom, pause.
Carburetion problem?

Mac McQuinn
09-08-2017, 9:56 PM
I would first check the fuel tank's vented cap. Second I would use a non-Ethanol gas if available, I like the Rec90 fuel I buy from my local BP station.
Mac

Bruce Page
09-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Ah! I didn't think of that!
Thanks

Leo Graywacz
09-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Narrow the spark plug gap. That's what I did for my Snowblower that did the same thing.

Lee Schierer
09-09-2017, 6:18 AM
Check the oil level it could be low. Also clean the air filter. Check for grass or debris on the automatic choke linkage.

Phil Mueller
09-09-2017, 7:25 AM
You might also try putting a little Seaform gas stabilizer in the tank each use. It seems to fix almost anything.

George Bokros
09-09-2017, 7:51 AM
Make sure you mix the Seafoam according to the directions on the can. Mix a gallon and just use it up in any small engine except for a two cycle which requires a different mix ratio.

Also it is a wise idea to Mac suggested use only non ethanol fuel. You can find some in your area on pure-gas.org

Bruce Wrenn
09-09-2017, 9:20 AM
Forget the Seafoam, as it's a mixture of naptha, alcohol, and diesel fuel. Head over to Home Depot, and grab a bottle of "Mechanic in a Bottle." Not the fuel shield, but true "Mechanic in a Bottle." I don't know what's in this stuff, but local repair place that fixes commercial equipment turned me on to it. I have salvaged small engines from local dumpster that would not run without choke (your engine has an automatic choke) on. Following directions on bottle, add MIB, start engine, and after a few moments, it would smooth out. No connection to manufacturer, only VERY SATISFIED customer. Keep a couple bottles on hand. I add StarTron to fresh non alcohol gas when I purchase it.

Stan Calow
09-09-2017, 10:05 AM
sometimes mine will do that when the spark plug cable is just a bit loose.

Pat Barry
09-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Air filter is plugged.

Dave Richards
09-09-2017, 12:10 PM
With all those things wrong with it, you might as well by a new one. :D

Leo Graywacz
09-09-2017, 12:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing. LOL

Rick Christopherson
09-09-2017, 12:49 PM
It's the governor. Clean the linkage pivots or put on a stronger spring.

Leo Graywacz
09-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Thought the same thing on my snowblower and played with it forever. Gapped the spark plug smaller and it solved the issue.

Rick Christopherson
09-09-2017, 1:06 PM
Thought the same thing on my snowblower and played with it forever. Gapped the spark plug smaller and it solved the issue.

No, you affected a symptom by decreasing the engine's performance, so the engine couldn't spool up as fast and cause over-rev. In other words, you slowed the engine's response to match the slow response of the governor, instead of speeding up the governor's response to match the engine.

Leo Graywacz
09-09-2017, 1:18 PM
You'd think I'd notice the loss of power on a fully loaded snowblower. I didn't. It's possible that the plug had worn a bit and I just adjusted to to the proper gap also. The snow blower is 22 years old and has had 2 plug changes. I only changed it by .005

Bruce Page
09-09-2017, 1:31 PM

Made me laugh!

I will start with the gas cap and go from there.
New air filter, oil change, links oiled, at start of the season. I don't expect that to be the problem but will check.

The vroom, pause, vroom, pause happened once before but smoothed itself out by the time I finished mowing. It did not recur until yesterday.

Thanks for the help!