PDA

View Full Version : FYI Negative rake scarper use

Bob Coates
09-08-2017, 7:03 PM
Got a email from craft supplies with discount on NRS. Looked at the ad and noted that the said "Note: Tool is used with the long bevel in the upright position." which seemed opposite to all I have seen. Tried it and found no noticeable difference.
Any one try this?

Link
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/129/1909/Robert-Sorby-M2-HSS-Negative-Rake-Scraper

Bob

Reed Gray
09-08-2017, 9:13 PM
I haven't seen that variation. I would consider it a good one for end grain and a hand burnished burr. No idea what the bottom angle is, but it looks to be almost 90 degrees, which is a bit steep for my taste.

robo hippy

John K Jordan
09-08-2017, 11:57 PM
I can't see the bottom angle either, but the length of the bevel should not make any difference - it should work either way if the bottom angle is reasonable. Maybe they think it will be more stable with the cutting edge closer to the tool rest.

I grind some of mine with the same angle on both sides, cutting edge in the middle. This way they work identically turned on either side - just need to burnish a burr in the correct direction. I actually keep two sharpened identically but burnished so one is for left hand use and the other right. I make a mark to show which side is up so I don't have to figure it out when I pick one up. These are Thompson steel:

I think it was Glenn Lucas, production bowl turner in Ireland, who showed this grind. Good for inside or out. BTW, I use these without handles since they are for light finishing cuts.

JKJ