PDA

View Full Version : Laser software on Windows 10

Julian Ashcroft
09-08-2017, 2:32 AM
I currently run all my laser software off a Windows 7 32 bit computer, but the machine is starting to get a bit flaky.

I have EZCAD, RDWorks 6 and Power Cut.

just bought a Windows 10 machine with a solid state drive. Has anyone run laser software with a Windows 10 machine? Any driver issues?

Robert Bonenfant
09-08-2017, 9:17 AM
You shouldn't have any issues - Unless the software providers haven't update there products yet (Unlikely)
As long as the software your using is not discounted or End of life - Than they should have windows 10 fully supported (Its been out for a few years now)

John Lifer
09-08-2017, 10:16 AM
I've used Win 10 for ezcad vers 2.12.1, and RDW from .18 to .24 with no issues.

Kev Williams
09-08-2017, 1:51 PM
Good luck... some of what I deal with in running 15 machines of various ages:

My 2 Casmate's are so old they'll only run on WinME or older, because the dongle's plug into the LPT1 port, which is read by DOS when the programs start- WinXP and above, there's no DOS and 'command prompt' is divorced from the LPT ports; dongle can't be read, programs won't run. So I have an old HP running Win98se just for them...

My Quickbooks software and HP officejet printer won't run with any OS above WinXP 32. I use an XP in the office--

My GCC laser's driver won't install onto any 64 bit computer, might work with a Win8 32 but not sure. I'm using an XP to run it and the other 3 machines in the garage shop-

My EZcad won't run on Win8 unless I do the compatibility thing, which means probably a complete no-go on Win10. I'm running it with an XP at the moment...

My Gravostyle 5 won't install on Win7 without compatibility settings... and even though it runs fine on Win7 once installed, the Gravo5 laser driver won't "see" the laser because Win7 is too new. But the driver works fine in Corel...

My Gravostyle 7 will run my LS900, but not with the Gravo7 laser driver because the machine is too old and won't load the Gravo7 firmware. I can load the driver and it will run it, but the laser will do some crazy stuff... Gravo7 DOES work with the Gravo5 driver, but only barely because IT'S too old--still works but no neat stuff...

And finally, after getting tired of Corel working ssssoooooooo ssslooooooowwwly with a screen full of graphics and just overall computer sluggishness, I broke down and bought a new-to-me Dell Workstation, 8-core dual Xeon 3.16 processors, 12 gigs of ram, Win7pro64 -- but as for Corel, I'm totally disappointed as it runs no faster than it does on my 12-ish year old single 2.8 Intel pocessor/1 gig ram E-machine... The Dell LOADS Corel and everything else much faster, accesses folders and such almost immediately, and I can zip thru 10 megapixel pics almost as fast as I can press the 'next' button, so I KNOW this computer is fast-- but my Corel x4 with a busy screen reacts to commands no faster on this computer than on the E-machine. Same with Gravostyle for that matter. I don't understand what's behind the molasses-speed they run, but a killer computer didn't help...

-So your problem may not be the computer ;)

Matt McCoy
09-08-2017, 3:13 PM
Good luck... some of what I deal with in running 15 machines of various ages:

My 2 Casmate's are so old they'll only run on WinME or older, because the dongle's plug into the LPT1 port, which is read by DOS when the programs start- WinXP and above, there's no DOS and 'command prompt' is divorced from the LPT ports; dongle can't be read, programs won't run. So I have an old HP running Win98se just for them...

My Quickbooks software and HP officejet printer won't run with any OS above WinXP 32. I use an XP in the office--

My GCC laser's driver won't install onto any 64 bit computer, might work with a Win8 32 but not sure. I'm using an XP to run it and the other 3 machines in the garage shop-

My EZcad won't run on Win8 unless I do the compatibility thing, which means probably a complete no-go on Win10. I'm running it with an XP at the moment...

My Gravostyle 5 won't install on Win7 without compatibility settings... and even though it runs fine on Win7 once installed, the Gravo5 laser driver won't "see" the laser because Win7 is too new. But the driver works fine in Corel...

My Gravostyle 7 will run my LS900, but not with the Gravo7 laser driver because the machine is too old and won't load the Gravo7 firmware. I can load the driver and it will run it, but the laser will do some crazy stuff... Gravo7 DOES work with the Gravo5 driver, but only barely because IT'S too old--still works but no neat stuff...

And finally, after getting tired of Corel working ssssoooooooo ssslooooooowwwly with a screen full of graphics and just overall computer sluggishness, I broke down and bought a new-to-me Dell Workstation, 8-core dual Xeon 3.16 processors, 12 gigs of ram, Win7pro64 -- but as for Corel, I'm totally disappointed as it runs no faster than it does on my 12-ish year old single 2.8 Intel pocessor/1 gig ram E-machine... The Dell LOADS Corel and everything else much faster, accesses folders and such almost immediately, and I can zip thru 10 megapixel pics almost as fast as I can press the 'next' button, so I KNOW this computer is fast-- but my Corel x4 with a busy screen reacts to commands no faster on this computer than on the E-machine. Same with Gravostyle for that matter. I don't understand what's behind the molasses-speed they run, but a killer computer didn't help...

-So your problem may not be the computer ;)

Kev: You might need an intervention. :)

Kev Williams
09-08-2017, 11:01 PM
What I really need is a vacation :D

Julian Ashcroft
09-09-2017, 2:48 AM
I couldn't get EZCAD and my fiber to work at all with Windows 10. Tried various versions of the software and the drivers. The version I have on my Windows 7 PC is 2.5.3 but there appears to be no drivers for Windows 10 64bit. Tried later versions such as 2.9.9 which has the right drivers, but it would not see the softdog in the machine.

Currently loading Windows 7 onto the Windows 10 computer, it might be old software, but it'll do what I want and with the SSD, increased ram and faster processor should be a lot faster and hopefully more stable.

Erik Goetheer
09-09-2017, 6:36 PM
I've used Win 10 for ezcad vers 2.12.1, and RDW from .18 to .24 with no issues.

Second this. Win10-64bit user.

Alan Carrier
10-05-2017, 1:14 PM
My Chinese 30W fiber laser came with a 32 bit driver and wouldn't work on my 64 bit installation of Windows 10. I installed a 32 bit version of Windows 10 on the PC and boot from the 32 bit version when I want to use the fiber laser.

Jerome Stanek
10-07-2017, 8:39 AM
I just got a new windows 10 and run RDcam 6 on it