PDA

View Full Version : How to fix hole in plywood siding.

Stan Calow
09-06-2017, 3:59 PM
I was asked to help fix this hole on side of roof made by squirrels. What the right way to patch this? I don't want to overcomplicate with flashing and caulk if not necessary. This is just an enclosure for vents on the roof, so there's no entry into the attic space. About 10"x 5" hole

Mel Fulks
09-06-2017, 4:12 PM
I would cut pieces of wood to make "imitation bottom rail insert overlays" for all the openings and stick them on with PL
brand polyurethane adhesive.

Jim Becker
09-06-2017, 5:10 PM
I would cut pieces of wood to make "imitation bottom rail insert overlays" for all the openings and stick them on with PL
brand polyurethane adhesive.
Agree, but taper the tops so water runs off and fully caulk.

andy bessette
09-06-2017, 5:39 PM
Squirrels will have a tough time with metal flashing.

Bruce Wrenn
09-06-2017, 9:13 PM
First, there is no step flashing anywhere behind plywood, unless it's painted black. Second there is a chimney flue in center of vent structure, which must have a hole cut that is 4" larger than diameter of flue. This means there is a 2" wide doughnut for squirrels to access the attic. As for me with 50 years in construction business, only option would be a new panel and step flashing. Before running vertical battens, add a piece of hardware cloth to lower 4 inches. Be sure and hold plywood up off roof deck 3/4". Prime and first coat everything before installation, especially bottom of plywood and battens.

Lee Schierer
09-07-2017, 7:39 AM
Since it is on a roof and not highly visible, I think I would make a piece of plywood I could slip in through the hole to the inside and screw it in place from the out side. Similar what you would do to patch a hole in drywall. Then I would "spackle" the patch with Minwax High performance two part wood filler so the surface is flush with the out side of the panel. Let that patch set up for about 15 minutes, sand it smooth and paint it to match.

Stan Calow
09-07-2017, 9:15 AM
Thanks everyone. Lots of good information and experience here. I'll see what the homeowner wants to do.

Al Launier
09-07-2017, 9:31 AM
Lots of good advice above, but something was overlooked: Make sure the squirrels are out first! :)

Stan Calow
09-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Al, that is a concern! All I can think of is "noodling" them out.

Jerry Olexa
09-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Temporarily you could use Great Stuff...Then later when u have time, repair as above,,,Try to use PT or Ext grade Ply and prime all pieces before installing...

Jerry Olexa
09-07-2017, 11:10 AM
And,....Caulk liberally before getting down from roof. :)

John M Wilson
09-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Temporarily you could use Great Stuff...

I tried this when I had some squirrels that chewed a hole in the top of my gable vent/soffit (the absolute highest elevation on my house, and the most inconvenient place to reach).

I figured the hardened foam would keep 'em out until I could fix it for real... boy was I surprised the next morning to see the darling little rascals running through my yard with their adorable cheeks just jam-packed full of Great Stuff. :mad: At least my wife found it funny.

Returning to their access hole, I stuffed it full of steel wool before replacing the soffit and vent panels.

Several years later, no return visitors. And I learned never to underestimate the chewing power of those hyper-motivated demon-spawned rats with fuzzy tails.