PDA

View Full Version : Retractable tip mechanical pencil

Jack Clay
09-04-2017, 8:53 PM
Hi,
I have made several mechanical .5 mm lead pencil from kits but the tips do not retract. Dose anybody know if there is retractable tip mechanical pencil kits available?

Thanks

Tom Wilson66
09-04-2017, 9:17 PM
I looked for one some time back and found nothing. Thought of using the works from one of the retracting tip pencils, but didn't pursue it. It might work like making one of the Pentel mechanical pencils. If you do figure out how to do it, would you post it for others to see?

Marvin Hasenak
09-05-2017, 4:52 AM
Don Ward one of the penturners has a tutorial on making a Pentel version, it is on his website, Red River Pens. I use a similar method, I first turn my blank between centers to 3/4" diameter. Then I drill using my 3/4" collet chuck, I drill the large hole, using both a 1/4 and a 9/32 drill bit, then flip it around and drill the 5/32 hole, The drill lengths etc., are on Don's website. More info is on the penturners site.

Eugene Dixon
09-05-2017, 7:13 AM
Retractable tips: do you mean the lead or the shield?

I've had some Pentels that the shield would retract. I think it was more of a failure but it could be convenient on occasion. It would also slide down on its own.

For the lead retracting, hold down the feed button (eraser on Pentels) and push the lead up.

Mark Greenbaum
09-05-2017, 8:25 AM
Mars-Staedler or Rotring used to make great drafting pencils for leads .3,.5,.7,.9 mm and the whole end would retract into the barrel, to keep the tips from puncturing through this geeks shirt pockets. I've dissected a couple of them, but have not tried to remake the shells in wood.

Jack Clay
09-05-2017, 3:40 PM
The whole end retracts into the barrel.

Tony Rozendaal
09-05-2017, 8:13 PM
Berea Hardwoods has a flattop and a roundtop European pencil that retracts the lead into the pencil with a twist. My experience with these is you have one shot at assembly. In other words, take your time and make sure everything is correct before you perform the final assembly of the pencil. Here is a link to the round top.

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/8240_P-Chr.html

Penn State claims this pencil extends and retracts with the twist: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKWDYSS.html

Jack Clay
09-05-2017, 9:06 PM

This is what I was looking for. I guess no kits are made.