PDA

View Full Version : Re Use Mineral Spirits

Jay Knoll
10-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone

I was looking at the gallon "recycle container" that I pour used mineral spirits into. It has been sitting for awhile, and the bottom is full of sludge.

I was wondering if anyone had "decanted" the top layer through a paper coffee filter and re used the spirits. Does the liquid still retain its solvent ability?

Jay

Charlie Plesums
10-30-2005, 11:06 AM
The solvent part still works fine, but some of the color remains. I decant (just transfer to a new container, without even filtering) for use as brush cleaner, but use virgin mineral spirits as when I need thinner.

John Scane
10-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Jay,

As an artist I have been doing this for the last 20 years. I go through a lot of mineral spirits and I'm constantly recycling the used stuff. In the painting class that I teach we have a 5 gallon container that we skim the clean spirits from. It probably won't be as clear as when it's new but it works the same.

Steve Beadle
10-30-2005, 3:38 PM
I've heard it recommended that if you recycle your mineral spirits for brush cleaning (a VERY good idea!), that you do the final cleaning with virgin mineral spirits, not the recycled stuff. And then, of course, the FINAL final cleaning with water and orange cleaner.