PDA

View Full Version : Identify this small metal pot ?

Stephen Tashiro
09-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Can someone identify the purpose, vintage, or value of the small metal pot in the photos? - show beside a bottle of water, for size comparison.

Its from the estate of a couple that collected antiques, but I don't know that the pot is a collectible. The metal of the body of the pot and its lid is non-magnetic. The pot and lid are thick, but light. and show no rust, so my guess is that it's an aluminum pot. The residue in the pot seems to be grease. (The inside of the pot isn't rusty. It has a residue on it.)

There's a makers mark on the underside of the lid that I can't interpret.

Mel Fulks
09-04-2017, 11:29 AM
I think it's the type of hide glue pot that is kept in bigger pot of hot water.

Jim Koepke
09-04-2017, 2:27 PM
I think it's the type of hide glue pot that is kept in bigger pot of hot water.

That was the same thought that came to me before seeing Mel's post.

jtk

John K Jordan
09-04-2017, 3:59 PM
Maybe the same question asked on a non-woodworking forum would get a different guess. :)

I looked a bunch of images of cast metal glue pots and none of them had vented lids. I suspect the relatively large the holes are to allow some useful vapors to escape while boiling some liquid, perhaps for curing ills, herbal fragrance?

JKJ

Chet R Parks
09-04-2017, 6:01 PM
It looks to be pewter. I have a old pewter small cup and saucer that appears to look like your pot with thick walls. I can see a what looks like a parting line on your pot which would mean it was cast. Mine is marked cWp which I found out is Wilton Columbia Pa. and was/is a manufacturer of pewter. You might want to check out pewter manufactures. Good luck.
Chet

Mel Fulks
09-04-2017, 6:55 PM
I figured the holes were for glue brushes, but it might be potpourri pot.

Bill Jobe
09-04-2017, 7:51 PM
For melting lead?

Malcolm Schweizer
09-04-2017, 8:24 PM
This is a guess- but an educated one. It is not a glue pot- it would have a double boiler if it was. There seems to be no provision for one. It's not for melting lead. That would be done in a crucible with a pouring spout. I suspect it was for burning incense/oils. They were popular in the 1800's from the orient. I suspect this is an English version of one.

Sam Murdoch
09-04-2017, 10:25 PM
I'm with Mel & Jim - thinking that this is the inner part of a two part "double" boiler glue pot.