PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irma ... anyone concerned?

Tim Boger
09-03-2017, 8:05 PM
We're in Lexington, SC and about 125 miles inland from Charleston, SC

The next Hurricane coming across the Atlantic seems to be taking aim at the Carolina's ... I'm concerned, should I be?

Tim

Malcolm Schweizer
09-03-2017, 8:42 PM
I need her to jog to the north a few degrees. Today it was beautiful clear blue skies and white puffy clouds, but the birds were silent and I didn't see any lizards. That's a bad sign.

Tim Boger
09-03-2017, 8:53 PM
Looks like it's time to batten down the hatches. Hope it misses you.
Tim

Malcolm Schweizer
09-03-2017, 8:57 PM
Thanks. On the good side- surf's up! Amazing swells from this one. We are on the south side of it. On the north the prediction is 60 foot swells. :eek:

Bruce Wrenn
09-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Here in central NC, any Atlantic hurricane is worth watching. Did monthly generator test run last week, gas cans are full of fresh (before Harvey) gas. Hopefully cold front coming through on Wednesday will track Irma out to sea. It's a wait and see game for right now.

Keith Outten
09-04-2017, 8:16 AM
I'm with Bruce, any storm in the Atlantic is worth watching. I am on the coast of Virginia and have seen my share of both NorEasters and hurricanes over the last 60 years. Any storm that comes my way that is a Cat 3 or stronger I will hit the road. The plan is to load up as much as possible in my van including the SawMill Creek server and all of out network components so don't be alarmed if we drop off the Net unexpectedly. My wife will drive the car and I will pull a trailer behind the van. I expect everyone knows that we are on the Virginia coast so there shouldn't be any surprise if we disappear for a few days. We live just barely above sea level on a peninsula that borders the Chesapeake Bay, the York River and Sarah's Creek. A bad rain can put over three feet of water over the only exit road we have.

I won't wait until the last minute because every possible route West will be a parking lot. Can't go north or south...wouldn't want to as the storms are to wide so West is the only option. Most of the other woodworking forums will post a message concerning our fate so you should be able to keep up with our status.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-04-2017, 8:38 AM
As of today at 8:36 local, 12:36z, blue skies, calm wind, calm seas. You would never know a storm was coming except the absence of birds- they know.

Mike Cutler
09-04-2017, 8:39 AM
We're in Lexington, SC and about 125 miles inland from Charleston, SC

The next Hurricane coming across the Atlantic seems to be taking aim at the Carolina's ... I'm concerned, should I be?

Tim

I'm pretty sure you're safe from tidal surge, unlike Keith, but the winds can have an effect, downing trees and taking power lines with them.

John Terefenko
09-04-2017, 9:33 AM
Any hurricane is worth watching and being prepared. Went through Sandy here in NJ and that was enough to really open one's eyes to the destruction a storm can do. If we would have gotten the rain that Texas had with Harvey, who knows what this state would have looked like. We still are battling the government down the shore and other places over that storm. Texas is in for a long haul and many many problems to follow. I wish them well. Have my generator ready to go once again if needed.

Bruce Wrenn
09-04-2017, 9:25 PM
Any hurricane is worth watching and being prepared. Went through Sandy here in NJ and that was enough to really open one's eyes to the destruction a storm can do. If we would have gotten the rain that Texas had with Harvey, who knows what this state would have looked like. We still are battling the government down the shore and other places over that storm. Texas is in for a long haul and many many problems to follow. I wish them well. Have my generator ready to go once again if needed.When Sandy came ashore in NJ, she wasn't a hurricane, only a tropical storm. But don't tell that to the thousands who suffered damage.

John Terefenko
09-04-2017, 10:31 PM
When Sandy came ashore in NJ, she wasn't a hurricane, only a tropical storm. But don't tell that to the thousands who suffered damage.

Call it what you may, it did some damage. The other thing those people in Texas will deal with is the contamination from so many sources and people will want to do their own clean up and there will cases of sickness and long term problems. 9/11 is around the corner and we all know the long term effects from that clean up. God be with those people. Hopefully some of the aftermath from our storm can be of use to them.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-05-2017, 7:00 AM
As of today at 5AM local, NHC predicts a near direct hit of my island with 145mph winds currently being clocked at the eye wall. My house has survived 180 years of hurricanes so I am ok but a bit worried about the roof. It is a very powerful storm, but fortunately very compact. 20 miles makes all the difference in the world- 145mph versus 95mph 20 miles out, and 60mph 30 miles out.

I would appreciate praying folks to keep us in your prayers. It needs to make a turn to the north.

Jim Becker
09-05-2017, 9:24 AM
Stay safe, Malcolm. "Stuff" can be replaced...your family, however...is most important.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Stay safe, Malcolm. "Stuff" can be replaced...your family, however...is most important.

Thanks. It's a worst-case scenario. Category 5 with a direct hit forecast. Strangely, it is a beautiful day today.

Edwin Santos
09-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Malcolm, It can only be the smart thing to do to remain concerned and err to the side of safety, even if it means some inconvenience. All hopes and prayers for the best.

I was really worried for Lowell when when Harvey got going and he posted something to the effect of "this is not our first rodeo, we're not too concerned". I hope he and his family are okay. Every victim has seen worse until they haven't.

All hopes and prayers for the best. Please post back and tell us it missed you or dissipated and it was much ado about nothing.

Fascinating how the animals know more than we do about these things.

Alan Rutherford
09-05-2017, 1:36 PM
Florida panhandle. Heck yes we're worried. It is expected to turn right after passing the Keys. No one knows how far right. Everyone on the Gulf should be worried.

Malcolm McLeod
09-05-2017, 2:29 PM
RE: the current track into the Gulf... I'd hate to see it hit anyone, but please don't let it be Houston area! Giggle the web for 'Indianola, TX' - that is the only place it exists now (and maybe a few history books).

Malcolm, take care of my name and all it's attached parts, pieces, and relatives. (Would it be crass to admit I've been studying the aerodynamics on that new Veritas plane you got? ....I know the lift off speed and terminal velocity required to get it to N.Texas. ;))

Keith Outten
09-05-2017, 2:54 PM
Just a suggestion:

Occasionally, and before any big storm, I wander around my shop, home and outbuildings with my video camera to document as many items as I can just in case we have to file an insurance claim. When I'm in my shop I open the drawers of tool boxes and record the contents of every drawer, I will also open boxes if they contain anything of value. Walk around every vehicle and structure to document its condition, if a picture is worth a thousand words a video may be priceless if you cannot find a receipt to prove ownership and physical condition to an insurance company.

Videos are also good protection from fire and theft if either happens. My neighbor recently had a very expensive tool box stolen that was full of Snap On tools that he uses for his business but he doesn't even have any proof that he owned the box or its contents.

Rod Sheridan
09-06-2017, 8:51 AM
Keith, thanks for that excellent suggestion, I'll do that.................Hope you're safe during the storm..........regards, Rod.

Pat Barry
09-06-2017, 9:14 AM
Looks like Malcolm and family are taking a huge hit today. Hope they are all safe and OK.

James Waldron
09-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Friends in St. Martin are out of touch. Malcolm got a near miss, bad enough for everyone I"m sure. Hope all are safe and well. It's just about at its worst for Malcolm as I write this. Yikes! 180 mph, gusts to 225! Record setting wind strengths for an Atlantic hurricane.

Here in NE FL, we are preping for the worst and hoping for the best. The computer models are not all that encouraging. Gen set all fueled and tested, cars all with topped up tanks. We are on a bluff overlooking the St. Johns River, high enough to not worry about storm surge here, but the boat is another matter. It's well tied off, canvas all stowed and ready as it can be, but there's talk of 20 foot storm surge and that is more than our ties can handle. Anything more than 10 feet would be a big problem.

As Texas shows, these things can be devastating. I just hope Irma doesn't add more proof than any of us needs. Be safe, all.

Edwin Santos
09-06-2017, 2:03 PM
According to the Weather Channel a few minutes ago, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos are right in the path. I'd love to hear that Malcolm is safe. I hope for the best and hope he checks in as soon as possible. It looks really severe.

Christopher Charles
09-06-2017, 5:13 PM
Been thinking of Malcolm and family as well. And all the others in the path.

Best,
Chris

James Waldron
09-07-2017, 1:18 AM
Some USVI communications have survived, since there are YouTube and Weather Channel videos of damage in St. Thomas. Bad as it looks, it doesn't appear to be as bad as Barbuda and St. Martin. Hope Malcolm and his family are okay and we hear from him soon.

God help all those in the Turks and Caicos and the southern Bahamas. Some of those are such low islands they are at risk of being completely submerged by the storm surge. Puerto Rico, Hispaniola and Cuba are all higher ground and while the storm surge can do damage there, those people have some place to go to get away from the flooding.

All be safe and make sure you're prepared for this monster in FL, and coastal GA, SC and NC. It appears all are at risk over the next days.

Keith Outten
09-07-2017, 11:51 AM
I hope that by the time Irma gets to the Virginia coast its lost most of its power. Even if its just a small storm it can knock out power lines and blow over trees which can keep us offline for several days. Given what happened to Harvey when it went back offshore and returned to land I have a newfound respect for what can happen even though its a low probability.

Joe Tilson
09-07-2017, 12:52 PM
If she goes a little more East, not to concerned. If she follows the current track, concerned of the rain fall. We are supposed to have winds of 60-70 MPH. People really need to heed warnings, and get lose objects in the yard put up, because they can really hurt someone by flying through the air. Be careful and may God protect all in Harms way.

Bruce Wrenn
09-07-2017, 10:34 PM
RE: the current track into the Gulf... I'd hate to see it hit anyone, but please don't let it be Houston area! Giggle the web for 'Indianola, TX' - that is the only place it exists now (and maybe a few history books).

Malcolm, take care of my name and all it's attached parts, pieces, and relatives. (Would it be crass to admit I've been studying the aerodynamics on that new Veritas plane you got? ....I know the lift off speed and terminal velocity required to get it to N.Texas. ;))Indianola exists on Texas Road Trips show. Saw the episode.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-08-2017, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the well wishes- I am very grateful. I posted a separate thread. Will not be comminicating further for a while.