PDA

View Full Version : Steel beams protruding beyond carport roof

Stephen Tashiro
09-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Is there a structural reason why steel beams supporting a carport roof need to protrude past the edge of the roof?

I'm dealing with situation shown in the photos. The protruding beams cause rain water to flow back under the roof. It's tempting just to cut the ends of the beams off even with the roof line - although it might be laborious to cut them.

I could build a miniature roof over the end of each beam and use flashing to deflect the water.

Wayne Lomman
09-02-2017, 2:14 AM
No. Get out the grinder or gas axe and trim them back as far as the outermost rafter. Cheers

Jim Becker
09-02-2017, 9:30 AM
Honestly, that's likely just lazy construction effort. I can think of no structural reason for them to protrude other than perhaps the current carport roof is a replacement that was pre-sized differently than whatever preceded it. If cutting them off is a challenge, then capping with a sloped flashing to direct water away would be a reasonable, albeit not great looking, accommodation.

Matt Day
09-02-2017, 10:38 AM
That's only sticking out a 2-3 inches isn't it? If it's not an eyesore - is it worth the trouble?

Stephen Tashiro
09-02-2017, 11:31 AM
That's only sticking out a 2-3 inches isn't it? If it's not an eyesore - is it worth the trouble?

I'm not worried about the appearance. The problem with the protruding beams is that rainwater runs off the roof onto the ends of the beams and then back along the top of the beams under the roof. In the photos, there are short lengths of 2x6's along top of the beams that are new replacements for the previous wood that rotted.

mark kosse
09-02-2017, 11:57 AM
My guess is they stuck out so they could be added onto to extend it in the future. What about caulking the joint to stop the water intrusion.

Norris Randall
09-02-2017, 4:06 PM
I'll bet if you check the decking, if it is plywood, the size is in multiples of the plywood size. Someone probably had the steel beams salvaged from another job.
I'd cut the beams so rain would not run back under the wood. $0.02

Mel Fulks
09-02-2017, 4:24 PM
If it was DIY it was " too much trouble to cut them". If it was done by hire it was " I ordered them long...gives it more of that pergola look"

John K Jordan
09-02-2017, 5:47 PM
Honestly, that's likely just lazy construction effort. I can think of no structural reason for them to protrude other than perhaps the current carport roof is a replacement that was pre-sized differently than whatever preceded it. If cutting them off is a challenge, then capping with a sloped flashing to direct water away would be a reasonable, albeit not great looking, accommodation.

I agree - my first thought was "just lazy." I would rip off what looks like facia in the second photo, cut the beams back, maybe at a bit of an angle, and put on new, perhaps wider facia to keep the water away from the steel.

It will be a big job to trim them in place. I'd probably try a portaband saw for part of it, a plasma torch for part, (since that's what I have on hand) and a lot of grinding to clean it up. Or add a wooden cap cutout to hid the ragged cut! Or better, weld a flat piece of steel on the cut end, caulk and paint.

Might be easier to extend the roof or put on a new roof!

JKJ

Stephen Tashiro
09-06-2017, 12:18 AM
I hired a local artist and metalworker, who used a grinder. Ah, much better now!

Lee Schierer
09-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Looks like you have some fascia and rafter repair work to do before the job is complete.

Russ Filtz
09-13-2017, 6:16 PM
Just me, but I would have cut them back at a slight angle. Would give it a "softer" more interesting line.