PDA

View Full Version : Sandcarving Cabinet

Grant Carson
09-01-2017, 7:21 AM
Happy Friday all,

I have used the wealth of information in this forum to guide me in purchasing a new laser, and I'm hoping I can do the same for a sandcarving cabinet. I would love to hear what you guys are using for a setup, and how much time you spend at the cabinet a day. Also, let me know how the setup is working for you. For my purposes, I estimate we will be standing at the cabinet for about 2-3 hours a day sandcarving small giftware (e.g. wine glasses). The Rayzist and Ikonics cabinets are so tempting, but so expensive for the simplicity. From the people who have experience with them, are they worth the money in your opinion? The cabinets that really caught my eye are the Rayzist 1924 (MSRP $3,699) and Rayzist 2034 (MSRP $5,799). I'm not sure how much Rayzist will budge on their pricing. I'm deciding between spending the money on one of these, or trying to piece my own together. I imagine I could save $1,000-$2,000 after parts and labor by building my own, but that will come with some added headaches from working out the bugs. From my research, the pressure pot and dust collector are necessary for carving finer detail on smaller items. I greatly appreciate the feedback

Moderator - If this is in the wrong forum, please move it. This is where I found most of the Rayzist threads.

Scott Shepherd
09-01-2017, 7:50 AM
Happy Friday all,

I have used the wealth of information in this forum to guide me in purchasing a new laser, and I'm hoping I can do the same for a sandcarving cabinet. I would love to hear what you guys are using for a setup, and how much time you spend at the cabinet a day. Also, let me know how the setup is working for you. For my purposes, I estimate we will be standing at the cabinet for about 2-3 hours a day sandcarving small giftware (e.g. wine glasses). The Rayzist and Ikonics cabinets are so tempting, but so expensive for the simplicity. From the people who have experience with them, are they worth the money in your opinion? The cabinets that really caught my eye are the Rayzist 1924 (MSRP $3,699) and Rayzist 2034 (MSRP $5,799). I'm not sure how much Rayzist will budge on their pricing. I'm deciding between spending the money on one of these, or trying to piece my own together. I imagine I could save $1,000-$2,000 after parts and labor by building my own, but that will come with some added headaches from working out the bugs. From my research, the pressure pot and dust collector are necessary for carving finer detail on smaller items. I greatly appreciate the feedback

Moderator - If this is in the wrong forum, please move it. This is where I found most of the Rayzist threads.

We have an Ikonics cabinet. Was it worth the extra money? In my opinion, 100% it was. The working area stays clean and clear and you can blast for hours straight if needed and never have to stop and let the dust clear. It's very very nice. If you can't see in the cabinet, you can't work, so what's that time worth to you?

You can easily pay for a higher end cabinet with one job.

Mike Null
09-01-2017, 8:54 AM
As you already know, sandblasting is dirty work and it can cause mistakes, sloppy workmanship and even health issues. Heed Scott's advise--don't cheap out on equipment.

Grant Carson
09-07-2017, 7:49 AM
Thank you Scott and Mike for your input. I have decided to go with the Rayzist 2034VX. I look forward to getting this thing in and putting it to work.

Mike Null
09-07-2017, 7:55 AM
Grant

You might want to list the equipment you have so that we can better see what your options might be. I have used my sand blast equipment for various jobs where my engraving equipment wouldn't produce the desired results.