PDA

View Full Version : Lennox Trimaster carbide bandsaw blade questions.

Rick Potter
08-31-2017, 2:33 PM
I just unloaded that 24" Agazanni off the truck. It came with a 3/8" blade that looks like a Timberwolf, and is in great shape. It also came with a 1" wide blade that had some surface rust on it, and I just threw it in the truck. Now that I look at it, it says 'Lennox Trimaster carbide tipped' on it, and looks unused, exept for the rust which comes right off with a scotch pad.

On Lennox website it says this blade is for cutting aluminum, tool steel, stainless,......and wood. Does this mean I can use it for all these things, or does my saw run too fast for metal?

Thanks,
Rick

PS: I looked up the blade...185", and found it costs $285 at Bandsaw Direct. Whoa!

PPS: Just plugged the saw in.....runs smooth. I think it has been unused for about 10 years, and looks like little use before that.

Ben Rivel
08-31-2017, 3:59 PM
Great blade to get for free! I just bought one and it cost me around $280. Many of us use Tri-Masters as our dedicated resaw blades.

Andrew Hughes
08-31-2017, 4:08 PM
That's a good blade Rick.I wouldn't use it for metal on your saw that would be very bad for your tires and probably runs too fast.
But great for wood.
Is it hot enough for ya :(

Mike Cutler
08-31-2017, 4:47 PM
Rick

It's the same blade I use on my 18" Rikon at home. You're going to like it a lot.
Yes it can be used on metal. It is the same blade on the Do-All and Marvel at work, different tooth configurations. Both of those saws have pretty fast blade speeds and coolant reservoirs to spray the blade and material being cut. I think that would be rather messy in a wood shop. ;)

Rick Potter
08-31-2017, 7:04 PM
Thanks guys,

I thought it would be too fast, but I was surprised the same blade is used for wood and metal. Just curious, I have no intention of cutting metal other than possibly some aluminum T-track with it.

Andrew, perhaps you could give me some pointers on the saw. Come on down, I have an AC unit in the shop.

909-241-6695

Rick

Andrew Hughes
08-31-2017, 7:33 PM
I sent you a PM :)

Jim Becker
09-01-2017, 10:07 AM
It's fine for non-ferrous metal like aluminum, although I wouldn't want to use it a lot for that purpose while also using it for fine cutting. That's a premium blade and you are fortunate to have received it with the saw, especially if it was unused! I miss mine for sure...I buggered it accidentally and it was unrepairable. A very expensive mistake.

Rick Potter
09-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Message received, Jim.

Cancel the thought about cutting aluminum. I will use an old blade on my 14" saw.

Rick Potter
09-02-2017, 2:28 AM
Just want to share that I had a very nice morning today, with a visit from Andrew Hughes. He owns an Agazzani band saw, and graciously came over and showed me some tips and tricks for Aggie, my new favorite saw. He actually spent the time teaching me how to properly adjust them 'Furrin blade guides', as well as how the motor/belt adjustment is done. The only things we found wrong with the saw was that the belt needs tightening, and all the adjustments were either loose or out of line (probably from people trying out all the knobs at the estate sale). We also discussed how to make a nice miter gauge and/or sliding jigs, as putting some wheels under it.

Not a bad saw, considering I could not even plug it in before bringing it home. It's a keeper.

I knew I was in over my head, after looking at Andrew's blog (check it out). He makes things I can only dream of making. Pictures of his work show an artistic touch, and some really nice joinery. Pretty heady stuff for a DIY guy like me.

Thanks Andrew.

David Eisenhauer
09-02-2017, 9:20 AM
Good story all the way around Rick. Sounds like you have a new "best friend" in the shop and another good one down the road in Andrew.

Jim Becker
09-02-2017, 9:26 AM
Glad that Andrew could stop by and help you get things going!!