PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Beech Burl Bowl

John Hart
10-29-2005, 9:35 PM
Found this chunk of Beech that really only looked good for pen blanks, but I figured that I'd give the leftover chunk a whirl as a bowl...if it exploded, then I'd burn it. I was pretty shocked at what was there. It needed a little epoxy to fill some voids but overall, I think it's pretty cool. It is 5.5" diameter and 3" high....finished in BLO, Shellac, and beeswax.

Michael Stafford
10-30-2005, 5:18 AM
Now that is nice, John. That is very rich in color and character. And what a nice backdrop for your work. Nice piece and photo.:D It does not look that small in the photos.;)

Karl Laustrup
10-30-2005, 6:04 AM
WOW!!! John that is stunning wood. I do believe the wood was most benefited by the design chosen.

Keep up the excellent work.

Karl

Keith Burns
10-30-2005, 6:22 AM
Another great looking piece. Great form and finish. Really like the rim treatment. Two thumbs up.:)

Chris Barton
10-30-2005, 7:27 AM
Wow has already been used so I will fall back on "amazing!" Where do you find this wood???

John Hart
10-30-2005, 7:35 AM
Wow has already been used so I will fall back on "amazing!" Where do you find this wood???

This piece came from a Pallet company. The nice thing about pallet companies is that they use the wood that no one else wants. This is usually the gnarly stuff...which we like!;)

Anyway, they get what the lumber companies don't want which are mountains of 4X4s and 6X6s. They cut off the ends and throw them in piles. I just sift through the piles and pick out what looks promising. From time to time, I'll spot a 12 foot piece that I really want and buy it outright, but most of the time, I'm a garbage picker.:D

Glenn Hodges
10-30-2005, 7:37 AM
John, you keep finding such beautiful wood and doing these super designs with it like the rolled lip on this one. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ed Scolforo
10-30-2005, 10:08 AM
John: Beautiful wood and nicely executed!

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Another beautiful addition to your collection.

Bruce

Carole Valentine
10-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Glad you didn't throw that one away! The rolled lip is becoming your signature. Do you use a spindle/detail gouge to do that?

John Hart
10-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks to you all. And, Thanks to you all for the inspiration!!!

Carole - I use my large skew for the lip. I get situated and move my whole body around coming up the shoulder to the lip and then the same thing going around the lip. I know that sounds kinda goofy, but it gives me a sense of rythym and flow....just rolling through it and keeping the cuts light.

Bill Stevener
10-30-2005, 2:08 PM
Hi John,
I have been watching your work, and must say it's taking off in leaps and bounds. This piece is gust great, the wood you have chosen and the style you have applied. The inside out rim is one of my favorites. When I posted one some time back, several could not believe it's done with the skew. I am glad you have chosen to try the same. Looks just great, and adds just the right touch to a fine form. Takes some time, and a keen eye on the point of things.

The skew is a great tool, once you have mastered it. Can't wait for your next one.
Have fun, Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

Dick Parr
10-30-2005, 3:34 PM
Another very nice save John, I really like this one:)

John Hart
10-31-2005, 7:07 AM
The skew is a great tool, once you have mastered it. Can't wait for your next one.
Have fun, Bill.>>>>>>>>:)

Thanks Bill...Your footsteps are ones that I would love to follow....Any helpful hints are most appreciated!!!!:)

Jeff Sudmeier
10-31-2005, 8:16 AM
Wow John!! I am glad you didnt' cut that into pen blanks! :)

Mark Cothren
10-31-2005, 8:25 AM
Nice form and finish on a great piece of wood!

Thanks for the picture!

Mike Ramsey
10-31-2005, 9:23 AM
Beautiful John!! I like the skew too but haven't progressed enough to
do that! Finish is gorgeous...

Sam Blasco
10-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Excellent depth. Spectacular.

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2005, 10:55 PM
That's a really wild looking chunk o' pallet. Nice job.