PDA

View Full Version : Realistic selling price of a newly delivered Hammer A3-41 to buy a 5-way combo?

Joshua Bass
08-29-2017, 1:22 PM
Long story short, I rushed a purchase of this jointer/planer without thinking my full shop plans through. I love it, but now I regret not buying a full 5-function Euro combo machine. It has only been used once to test the cutting, so essentially it is brand new and comes with the silent cutting heat (helix), and digital height gauge for the planer. Shipping was around $600, and total sticker price ~7k.

Is there any chance I can get 6k for this thing locally (Tucson Arizona)?

I want to sell this along with my 52" Sawstop to fund what I really need/want.

Andy Giddings
08-29-2017, 1:25 PM
Have you called the dealer to see what or if they would offer as a trade assuming you are sticking with Felder/Hammer?

Joshua Bass
08-29-2017, 2:07 PM
Have you called the dealer to see what or if they would offer as a trade assuming you are sticking with Felder/Hammer?

yes. They are willing to work with me, but I would have to pay return shipping and they would sell it as a used piece of equipment and offer me what they make from it. They recommended I try to sell locally first.

Andy Giddings
08-29-2017, 2:14 PM
Couple of options that may work although I have no idea whether you'll get 6k - post it on Craigslist locally, post it on the classifieds here and post it on the Felder Owner's Group on Yahoo

Rod Sheridan
08-29-2017, 3:39 PM
Hi Joshua, is there a burning reason you want the square shaped 5 function machine as opposed to the saw/shaper and jointer/planer?

I went with the 2 machines because it's easier if you have a rectangular shop, the J/P goes against the wall to save space.

If you really want the 5 function, simply arrange your two machines in the 5 function shape, the only difference I can think of is that the rip fence for the saw changes profile, and part of it is is on the jointer outfeed table.

Talk to Felder about the possibility, the two machines should bolt together,

Regards, Rod.

James Baker SD
08-29-2017, 4:21 PM
People can be sticklers about what they considered "used" equipment to be worth, no matter how slightly used it is. I think your only chance at $6K would be to find a buyer who needs it ASAP, and is willing to pay to reduce Felder's delivery time. A wider advertising area, with potential higher shipping costs might help you find the ASAP buyer.

That said, I fully agree with Rod, as I have a pair of combos and would not want a single machine.

Joshua Bass
08-29-2017, 5:03 PM
People can be sticklers about what they considered "used" equipment to be worth, no matter how slightly used it is. I think your only chance at $6K would be to find a buyer who needs it ASAP, and is willing to pay to reduce Felder's delivery time. A wider advertising area, with potential higher shipping costs might help you find the ASAP buyer.

That said, I fully agree with Rod, as I have a pair of combos and would not want a single machine.

What is your reason for not wanting a single machine? Freeing up space was my main goal.

Andy Giddings
08-29-2017, 5:14 PM
Joshua, Rod is correct - you could easily create almost the same footprint as a C3 by purchasing a B3 and mounting it close to the A3 if that is your goal. Essentially the only difference is you have a wider jointer/planer (410mm vs 310mm). Even if you can't bolt them together, the footprint is not going to be substantially different. Might be the most cost effective route

Ben Rivel
08-29-2017, 5:45 PM
Not that you asked, but I say keep the separates!

James Baker SD
08-29-2017, 11:46 PM
What is your reason for not wanting a single machine? Freeing up space was my main goal.

Josh,
It fit my requirements better. I leave the slider/shaper permanently against a wall (limiting my right of blade rip, but never been a problem) and the JP is mobile which allows me to get it out of the way to put a car in between them. This was required to get permission from wife to buy them, as single combo even just stored against the wall, would not allow car inside. Guess I was a special case that may not be generally applicable. Still I've managed to convince myself that I got what I really wanted, so I am happy camper. And I've got a happy wife.
James

Joe Jensen
08-30-2017, 2:11 AM
Depends how fast you want to sell it. I'd say one board cut or a year won't make any difference on price. I am not opposed to buying used and I'm not one of those who automatically thinks used me 50% off. But I don't think I'd buy used for $6K unless it was equipped exactly like I wanted. Also I don't think the warranty transfers. I would seriously consider a saw + shaper to add. How big is your shop? I live in Tempe and have a Felder KF700SP saw shaper in a 3 car garage so you could judge that at least.

Victor Robinson
08-30-2017, 2:28 AM
Well, I'd be one of your potential buyers if we were in the same area, but truthfully I don't think I'd be tempted at 6k, especially if what Joe says about the warranty is true.

Mike Heidrick
08-30-2017, 6:02 AM
No informed hammer potential customer would buy even a no cut as new hammer from you without major discount. Why would you give up the warranty and dealer relationship?

Get separate saw shaper like a 700 felder :) Tool opportunity.

Chris Parks
08-30-2017, 9:40 AM
Seperate machines have the advantage that if something goes wrong the whole machine is not put out of commission or if one part of the machine no longer suits the work you are doing it can be replaced.

Mick Simon
08-30-2017, 1:20 PM
Two weeks ago I ordered an A3-41 with SilentPower, mobility kit, digital aluminum wheel and a 16" extension with two mounting rails and it was $6847 including $800 freight. As James said, unless someone just has to have it now or doesn't bother to check, $6000 is a little strong.

Joshua Bass
08-30-2017, 3:13 PM
Two weeks ago I ordered an A3-41 with SilentPower, mobility kit, digital aluminum wheel and a 16" extension with two mounting rails and it was $6847 including $800 freight. As James said, unless someone just has to have it now or doesn't bother to check, $6000 is a little strong.

Did they offer you a significant discount from what is listed on their eShop?

Mick Simon
08-30-2017, 4:38 PM
Did they offer you a significant discount from what is listed on their eShop?

AWFS special.

Mike Hollingsworth
08-30-2017, 5:44 PM
No informed hammer potential customer would buy even a no cut as new hammer from you without major discount. Why would you give up the warranty and dealer relationship?

what relationship?

They won't give him diddly for the machine he just bought to trade up for their machine. I'd be talking to MiniMax.

Mick Simon
08-30-2017, 9:03 PM
what relationship?

They won't give him diddly for the machine he just bought to trade up for their machine. I'd be talking to MiniMax.

I wouldn't be so quick to slam Felder for not wanting to take the machine back at a higher price than what they paid for it the first time. They've already paid the salesperson. They've done all the work on their end. I would not think it would be reasonable to expect them to do it all over again and have to sell it at no profit. Their suggestion is the best solution. He will get more for it selling it direct to an end user.

Dan Friedrichs
08-31-2017, 12:10 PM
I'd also second the idea of looking into a separate saw/shaper. Doesn't the B3 have tilting spindle on the shaper, as well?

The full combo is nice, but there are definite downsides to the 4-function. For instance, if you're sawing something with a long off-cut on the right of the blade, you have to be set in jointer mode and swing the jointer guard out of the way. It's a bit of a pain if you were set up to plane. Also, if you had the fence on the jointer, you have to take it off.

Unless you really don't have the space, or the cost of the full combo is much less, I think the saw/shaper and j/p (as "separate" 2-function machines) are better.

Brad Shipton
08-31-2017, 1:18 PM
I agree with separates too. Many times separates can save more space if you are rolling the machines around a little bit. A combo pretty much has to sit in the center of the room or at least have enough space on both sides for working. I have my J/P against one wall, and the S/S near another. The common space between them is my work space. Maybe you have looked at your layouts and proven it is more space efficient in your case, but if not, you can find sketchup models or simple CAD files of many of the hammer machines to compare which is more efficient for your shop.

From a functionality point of view separates are nicer. Maybe you are more organized than I am, but I cannot wait for the day until I have enough space for all my machines to be single use.

Cost wise, the combo unit is more cost effective, but I tend to think that ship has sailed now that you have taken delivery. $6k will not fly for most.