PDA

View Full Version : Dust bag for lathe

jeff oldham
08-29-2017, 11:35 AM
I know you can get a Dust bag to cove your miter saw that catches all the dust...i have a key 16-42 lathe and thought it might be nice having the same bag under your lathe to catch everything that falls between the ways...anyone know of this product I'm speaking about...

Brice Rogers
08-29-2017, 12:12 PM
I have never seen a commercial product. I think that it is something you'd have to make. In my case, I suspect that it would catch about 10% of the total dust/shavings with the other 90% being propelled all over. Even with a "Big Gulp" hooked to my dust collector, there is a lot of stuff that lands on the floor, my head, and all over.

Harold Balzonia
08-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Catching lathe savings is like a 9 year old kid trying to catch house flies with a butterfly net.

If you come up with something, patent it quick and make lots of money!

You can put plastic totes under your lathe and that will catch whatever is heading that way... obviously, the bigger the tote, the more you'll catch.

If you specifically want a bag under the ways, you could get a trash bag and hold it under the lathe with neodymium magnets. I attach lots of things to my lathe with these magnets and 10-12 magnets would hold it nicely (5-6 along each edge), I think.

Mark Greenbaum
08-29-2017, 12:56 PM
I have a piece of the plastic corrugated board mounted to the wall behind my lathe, and bent to cover up most of my rolling cabinet under the lathe. It catches most of the downfall, which is about 20% of the shavings from a bowl turning. Most of the other swarf is flung onto me, and behind me into the garage. Really tough to keep it all swept up.

Jim Silva
08-29-2017, 2:43 PM
Hi Jeff,
You talking something like the Rousseau or the Fast Cap? I've got the Rousseau for my miter saw and love it. Was wondering about something like that for my midi lathe that I use in a production environment. I don't think either is big enough for my midi but would also like to explore options.
Nothing will help on my 3520b but the midi would definitely benefit from something like that
Jim

John K Jordan
08-29-2017, 5:36 PM
I know you can get a Dust bag to cove your miter saw that catches all the dust...i have a key 16-42 lathe and thought it might be nice having the same bag under your lathe to catch everything that falls between the ways...anyone know of this product I'm speaking about...

I use big bins from Walmart under the PM and the 1642:

Since I like my lathes near walls I push the bins all the way against the wall and they catch everything that goes down and back. I sweep around my feet. But not too often.

JKJ

ELY WALTON
08-30-2017, 1:10 PM
[...] Even with a "Big Gulp" hooked to my dust collector, there is a lot of stuff that lands on the floor, my head, and all over.

Confirmed. I have a big gulp right behind the lathe and, unless the shavings are propelled right into its mouth, they go to the floor. (Still of value because the fine dust migrates into the big gulp during sanding.) BUT (and it's a big but, Dottie), I also have a narrow floor sweep against a nearby wall. Just set the blast gates, take a broom to push everything toward the sweep, and it disappears into the turbine/trash can pre-filter...

I would think that some kind of carriage-horse diaper on the lathe would be more mess than it's worth ... Just sayin'

Ely