PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Style stepstool

Gene Collison
10-29-2005, 8:48 PM
LOML recently commisioned me to build a step stool to reach the high areas of the house, kitchen etc. This was my best shot, built mostly from plans from Jointech mostly because I wasn't able to come up with anything better in addition to the fact that we both liked it a lot. It is not built exactly to Jointech project plans, I cut the small dovetails on an Akeda jig by choice and cut the large dovetails on the Jointech smartfence. The cross supports were also cut on the Jointech using the jointer setup on the router table in conjunction with the dovetail bit. The woods are of course Cherry and Jatoba, the finish is Polyurethane for durability. This could make a nice Christmas gift for someone with enough time to build one or two.;) :D

Dick Parr
10-29-2005, 8:53 PM
Very well done Gene, very nicely done.:)

Richard Wolf
10-29-2005, 8:54 PM
Nice job. I also like to add defects in cherry sometimes, adds charater.

Richard

Vaughn McMillan
10-29-2005, 8:55 PM
Looks very nice, Gene. The dovetails look great, and the cherry works very nicely with the jatoba. (I just finished up some cherry and jarrah cutting boards, and they have a similar contrast.) Great job.

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
10-29-2005, 9:29 PM
Well, I'll be dipped...He does do stuff with all those tools he "collects"! (Bwaaaaa-haaaaaa-haaaaaaa-haaaaaa!):D Seriously, that is really nice, Gene! The DT details are sweet. I especially like the large DT's on the cross supports. Really makes it more unique.:) Well done, my friend. :) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
10-29-2005, 9:39 PM
Very nice indeed Gene. Great project, the joinery adds some class to the project along with the finish.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2005, 9:42 PM
Nice job Gene. Love the dovetails. Makes it really stand out.

Gene Collison
10-29-2005, 9:59 PM
Thanks for all of the nice comments guys, I appreciate it. You too John M.:D

Martin Shupe
10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Very nice, Gene, welcome to the SMC Shaker style group! One of these is on my list, if I ever get back to the shop. (Building fence this month for the new dog.)

Jason Tuinstra
10-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Gene, looks great. The contrasting woods makes for a nice look as well.

Mark Singer
10-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Gene,
It really looks great! Great detail and I bet you used a plane or 2...

Alan Turner
10-30-2005, 2:40 AM
Nice job. I see that the DT's are not symetrical. Was this a design decision or a limitation of the jig you used?

Dan Forman
10-30-2005, 4:39 AM
Very nice. Another one of those " I gotta make me one of them" things.

Dan

Jim Knauss
10-30-2005, 5:41 AM
Looks great Gene, I am trying to decide on a dovetail jig or system and every time a nice piece like this comes up it gets me antsy again!
Thanks for showing!
Jim Knauss

Karl Laustrup
10-30-2005, 5:56 AM
Great looking stool Gene. Almost too nice to step on.

That jatoba is so nice. It's one of my favorites to work with.

Karl

Joe Unni
10-30-2005, 6:27 AM
Gene,

Very well done!!

Richard,
"... I also like to add defects in cherry sometimes..."
When I saw the big knot, I said to myself shaking my head, "wow, he embraced the defects." It adds a ton of character. I've not done this yet...but will for sure now.

-joe

John Hart
10-30-2005, 6:42 AM
Very nice Gene. I'm a big fan of step stools and people love to get them as gifts....especially when they are as classy as the one you've shown us. Watch out for tipping on that one!! The one I made like that for our kitchen years ago really loves to topple. Over the years, we've learned to keep it up against the cabinets and to distribute our weight subconsciously....But in the beginning...lots of falls and lots of near misses!

Dan Larson
10-30-2005, 7:16 AM
Gene, great job on the stool! I've always loved the look of through dovetails. Just out of curiousoty, which of your 2 dovetail jigs do you prefer to use?

Dan

Frank Pellow
10-30-2005, 7:57 AM
That's a great looking stool Gene. In fact, the stool looks so good, that I wouldbe reluctant to use it.

Jim Becker
10-30-2005, 9:29 AM
That's lovely, Gene. Most of the time, I see these with one species, but I really like the contrast on your piece. As I have a similar unit on "my list", I may just steal that idea from you!! ;) Great job!

Gene Collison
10-30-2005, 9:49 AM
Nice job. I see that the DT's are not symetrical. Was this a design decision or a limitation of the jig you used?

It was a design decision Alan, I could have made it symetrical.

Gene

Gene Collison
10-30-2005, 9:55 AM
Very nice Gene. I'm a big fan of step stools and people love to get them as gifts....especially when they are as classy as the one you've shown us. Watch out for tipping on that one!! The one I made like that for our kitchen years ago really loves to topple. Over the years, we've learned to keep it up against the cabinets and to distribute our weight subconsciously....But in the beginning...lots of falls and lots of near misses!

Yes John, it looks and probably is tippy. Even though it is pretty heavy it is narrow. Thanks for the advice, we'll be sure it's up against something while in use.

Gene

Gene Collison
10-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Gene, great job on the stool! I've always loved the look of through dovetails. Just out of curiousoty, which of your 2 dovetail jigs do you prefer to use?

Dan

Dan,

I bought the Jointech to compliment the Akeda for boxes and other joinery. The Jointech will certainly do everything the Akeda will do and much more, but is not as simple to use, particularly when making through dovetails. There are more steps required for using the Jointech or Incra system and plenty of opportunity for mistakes. But to be fair, I am not really up to speed on the Jointech either. The Jointech fence and clincher can do a lot of things the Akeda can't do such as small Dovetails, box joints, double dovetails and more. You just need a lot of wood! Hope this answers your question.

Gene

Steve Beadle
10-30-2005, 3:21 PM
Love the stool, Gene! I've made a couple step stools myself, of a different design, but with the top dovetailed to the sides. I notice that your tails are on the sides, with the pins in the horizontal pieces. I made mine the other way, with the tails in the horizontal. My thinking in doing so was to prevent any tendency for the sides to pull away from each other. What do you think? Any real advantage to that?

Gene Collison
10-30-2005, 4:01 PM
Love the stool, Gene! I've made a couple step stools myself, of a different design, but with the top dovetailed to the sides. I notice that your tails are on the sides, with the pins in the horizontal pieces. I made mine the other way, with the tails in the horizontal. My thinking in doing so was to prevent any tendency for the sides to pull away from each other. What do you think? Any real advantage to that?

Hi Steve,

From a visual standpoint, I think I like to see the pins from the side. However I haven's seen it your way, maybe if I did I might prefer it. You might have something from the strength standpoint, pretty much impossible for yours to come apart. Time will tell on this one. Thanks for the compliments.

Gene