PDA

View Full Version : Minimax FS35 Smart. Thank you Creekers!

Roger Floyd
08-29-2017, 3:38 AM
My first post here but many of you have been invaluable to my understanding of jointer planer combo machines.
A special thanks to Jim Becker and Erik Loza for sharing your Minimax expertise.
It all started last year when I needed to joint, surface and Resaw some wide rough 8/4 Afromosia boards. For this I had to use a friend's shop and pay him some shop hours. He had a Grizzly 12" combo machine with the helical head. It was the first time I'd seen one and despite the indifferent opinions I have read here I was rather impressed. So when more projects started coming my way that needed that capacity I started exploring my options.
This is where I learned about the highly regarded Minimax and Tersa heads but I was really sold on the helical head technology. The Jet JJP 12HH looked better than Grizzly and the Hammer A3-31 even better. I considered the Hammer and might have stretched for that if people I met hadn't said such nice things about the Jet. I ordered one on line during their recent 10% off sale. That's a story for another day. In short I got scammed and was sent a non helical head version. By the time I resolved this and got my refund I had missed the sale and even a nice used one on Craigslist.
I decided to try, try again but as I was leaving for a couple of weeks thought it best to hold off until I returned.
Meanwhile on Craigslist... this FS 35 Smart with mortiser and a bunch of cutters. Hmmm, might as well ask, and ended up chatting to the owner and agreeing to buy it for the price of the Jet. It was obviously in good condition judging by photos and video that he supplied. I sent a deposit by PayPal and said I'd arrange to pick it up at the end of the month. It all went smoothly. I rented a trailer, borrowed an engine hoist and drove a couple of hours to pick it up.
Today I moved it into its permanent position in my shop and ran a new outlet there. The mobility kit is excellent but I won't need it very often.
I cleaned it up a little and polished the beds that were a little tarnished but not rusty.
Things I have found:
I was surprised to discover that the Tersa has 4 knives on this unit.
I am delighted with the quality, weight, and finish.
I didn't expect two speeds for the planer rollers.
I didnt expect that the massive tables would be so well sprung that I'd have to push down on them to lock.
The fence slides beautifully on a massive steel rod.
It's a 2006 model with the original knives, never turned.
Powered it up and it hums perfectly, dime wouldn't fall over on the outfeed but got blown over on the infeed.
8/4 rough cherry came out square removing 1/32". I did see a tiny bit of tear out but no snipe. I'll switch the knives tomorrow and order some fresh ones and though I doubt I would have ordered a mortiser, I look forward to using it.
I feel as if this machine was meant to be in my shop. I found a Euroguard on EBay yesterday for Technomax FS 35 new in box for $120 and bought it. This one came with a US style but not installed. I have a bunch of old massive cherry lumber that this jointer can tame as well as a few hundred feet of 70 year old local high school bleachers that are old growth vertical grain Douglas Fir, 10" wide and 17' long. The 14" Resaw capacity on my bandsaw also matches this machine's capacity.
Thanks again for helping make this happen.

Martin Wasner
08-29-2017, 7:02 AM
Do you have a link to that guard?

Roger Floyd
08-29-2017, 9:09 AM
Martin, it was a one off. Apparently the result of a shipping error and an extra one not needed. I expect to have it by Saturday and hope it fits into the two holes I see on my FS 35.

Martin Wasner
08-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Martin, it was a one off. Apparently the result of a shipping error and an extra one not needed. I expect to have it by Saturday and hope it fits into the two holes I see on my FS 35.

That's a bummer. I started making a bridge guard for my SAC 12" jointer, but I haven't had time to finish it.

Curt Harms
08-29-2017, 2:44 PM
You got that for the same price as the Jet? You must be livin' right. I have the non-helical Jet and am happy with it but if I were offered an even swap -- now how do I get one up out of the basement and the other down?

John TenEyck
08-29-2017, 3:18 PM
That's a beauty; looks brand new. I have the older, yellow, FS35 and would only part with it for a wider one. Mine has the mortiser on the back which I much prefer because you can leave it attached full time. Why they switched to the front side escapes me. Mine came with a pork chop guard. I know many people say the bridge guard is better, and I had one on my prior Inca J/P, but I prefer the pork chop guard.

John

Erik Loza
08-29-2017, 5:34 PM
Does look brand new, congrats. I was sad to see the FS35 go. It sold well for us here in the US but apparently, no place else in the world.

Erik

Roger Floyd
08-30-2017, 1:16 PM
Curt, I feel fortunate that it was available, the seller was a good man who was willing to work with my schedule and that it wasn't snapped up quickly as Minimaxes don't come up for sale very often here in Southern California. As to moving it into a basement, it was hard enough getting it over a 6" step into my shop!
John, I'm sure you're right about the mortiser on the other side but in my space it fits close to the wall and for me it's easier to mount and dismount the mortiser than move the machine. It gets in the way when jointing anything longer than 36".
It came with everything including the manual except for the bolt that attaches the pork chop. So far I love using it without a guard. 😉
I often use SOSS hinges and made a jig for my router that does a good job but gets a little unstable when cutting near the ends of doors and face frames. My first exercise on the mortiser was successful in cutting the two step mortise for this. I will make a jig that fits over the table with centerline index and magnetic stops for second depth and width cuts. Next, make a wall plate to store it mounted to a wall. It's heavy.
I'm in the "getting to know you" phase and removed a knife to begin flipping them over. It was very easy but discovered the other edge was well used and blunt. Oh well. I think they are the cheaper chrome ones. I've ordered M42s. I want to judge their finish and longevity before springing for the carbide. I can buy 7 sets for the price of a carbide set. A gentleman on the Minimax Yahoo Group uses a pair of carbide and a pair of steel at the same time.
Eric, the manual describes a 3 knife Tersa head but this FS35 has four. In every other way the manual is exclusively for this model though it covers both the Smart and the Elite mortiser. Under what circumstances is it best to use the 14m/minute planing speed?
John, how many knives on your FS 35?
Thanks,
Roger

Martin Wasner
08-31-2017, 6:10 PM
I can buy 7 sets for the price of a carbide set.

I'm wrestling with this same dilemma. I'm sure the carbide is worth it in longevity for me, but the price tag is a little obnoxious.

Jim Becker
08-31-2017, 7:14 PM
Roger, my FS-350, which is the direct predecessor to your FS-35 has a three knife Tersa head.

Martin, I've been pretty surprised at how long the M2 knives last on my J/P. I might consider carbide if I was planning on working on some pretty difficult material, but the cut and finish of the HHS?M2 knifes is pretty darn good and flipping only one at a time (which you can do on a Tersa head) helps keep things really smooth for longer.

Martin Wasner
09-01-2017, 8:19 PM
Roger, my FS-350, which is the direct predecessor to your FS-35 has a three knife Tersa head.

Martin, I've been pretty surprised at how long the M2 knives last on my J/P. I might consider carbide if I was planning on working on some pretty difficult material, but the cut and finish of the HHS?M2 knifes is pretty darn good and flipping only one at a time (which you can do on a Tersa head) helps keep things really smooth for longer.

For as little as I use a planer, we'll probably be fine with the m42's. We're putting at most a couple thousand feet a month through it.

Roger Floyd
09-07-2017, 2:42 AM
Tersaknives.com delivered 4 new M+ Knives (that's what the M42s are called now) and my EBay purchased guard showed up but didn't include the bridge so a made a couple, one long, one short for when the fence is close. I'm with Jim Becker on this one. I find it easy to span the bridge with my fingers and thumb and it's a relief to have those blades covered at last.
I've been using it a lot too. It's very satisfying, a beautiful machine that makes jointing and thicknessing easy.
-Roger

Rod Sheridan
09-07-2017, 9:48 AM
Roger, I'm really glad you like your new machine, they're very nice.

I like your wood guard, I think I'll make a pair for my Hammer J/P...................Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
09-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Wow...that wooden bridge guard is nice!! Perfect thing for a woodworker. :) If you have the inclination sometime, please post a pictorial about how you milled the pieces as I suspect there will be others that might like the option of alternative lengths without the cost of buying the aluminum ones.