PDA

View Full Version : v board.

Brad Barnhart
08-29-2017, 3:13 AM
This may sound like a dumb question, but, I'm in a spot with a customer, & dealing with their "specifics" shall we say. She walked into my shop a few weeks back, & being an older lady, I stopped what I was doing & asked her to have a seat. She had three pieces of paper in her hand. One with one of the projects drawn out to the letter. The other two had pictures of the projects she wanted constructed. And this young lady is a retired school marm at that! I look over her dream list, & ask the usual questions. How soon? Any particular colors? RUSTIC she says! As rustic as possible! Well, I can accommodate that part easy enough, I explained to her. Then we got around to the budget word. She says "I have no budget." I looked at her for a minute, & asked her if she had any idea what the price of barnwood was a bdft? She said no. I calmly said, well, you're probably not going to like it. On top of $25/hr shop rate. Her grin faded. So, after she left, & before I went back to the scroll saw, I was studying one of her pictures. It has v board in the project. Now, here's my question. How, or is there a way I can make this "V" board for her project at a reasonable cost? I've never worked with it, but no doubt, it's going to be hard to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And my sincere apologies for the length. Brad.

John K Jordan
08-29-2017, 6:44 AM
...It has v board in the project. Now, here's my question. How, or is there a way I can make this "V" board for her project at a reasonable cost? I've never worked with it, but no doubt, it's going to be hard to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And my sincere apologies for the length. Brad.

I give up. What is a "V" board?

JKJ

Martin Wasner
08-29-2017, 6:58 AM
On top of $25/hr shop rate.

Stop working for free.

I give up. What is a "V" board?

JKJ

I'm guessing tongue and groove?

Brad Barnhart
08-29-2017, 6:58 AM
well, its panels with v's in it. You can buy it at hd for a high price. It was also used in older houses. Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought. my apologies for lookin' for advice. I'll just make it myself. Enjoy the day.

Brad Barnhart
08-29-2017, 7:02 AM
I don't live in a community that will support a higher wage. And the post wasn't about wages. Let me worry about that part. You take care of you. I'd appreciate it.

Brad Barnhart
08-29-2017, 7:09 AM
nope. not tongue & groove. I think I've got it figured out. I should've done my research before I posted. Like I said, my sincere apologies. thanks for the help, oh, & the wage advice, too. I'll pass that to my boss. Our community is 1300 folks. Enjoy the day, & don't do anything for free!!!!

Larry Frank
08-29-2017, 7:11 AM
Yes, you could make "v board".

Just make tongue and groove 1x 6 and then cut the small 45 near each side with a router.

I am shocked that people do not know what v board is. Try a Google for "pine v board".

Matt Day
08-29-2017, 8:35 AM
Is v board the same as bead board?

Martin Wasner
08-29-2017, 9:14 AM
nope. not tongue & groove. I think I've got it figured out. I should've done my research before I posted. Like I said, my sincere apologies. thanks for the help, oh, & the wage advice, too. I'll pass that to my boss. Our community is 1300 folks. Enjoy the day, & don't do anything for free!!!!

Use a magic moulder or similar tool in the tablesaw. I've made acres of beaded panels this way. When they get big, it can be tough to keep it moving smoothly without a powerfeed.
Or, sub it out to someone with a cnc.
Or, you could do it manually with a hand held router, a straight edge and a V bit, but that'd be a massive pain.

Rick Potter
08-29-2017, 11:46 AM
For a one shot deal, I would just use plywood, with a straight edge, a router and V bit. Spacer it over to keep the pattern going.

Yonak Hawkins
08-29-2017, 12:15 PM
On top of $25/hr shop rate.

Stop working for free.

I would rejoice and take my wife out to dinner if I could get $25 an hour regularly in my area.

John K Jordan
08-29-2017, 1:51 PM
well, its panels with v's in it. You can buy it at hd for a high price. ...

Thanks, learned something. I had searched google for "v board" and mostly found a bunch of links for "Brown v Board of Education".

Yes, boards with v's shouldn't be too bad to make. It might be more difficult to make freshly cut v's look "rustic" to one customer's eyes!

JKJ

Pat Barry
08-29-2017, 1:52 PM
Use a magic moulder or similar tool in the tablesaw. I've made acres of beaded panels this way. When they get big, it can be tough to keep it moving smoothly without a powerfeed.
Or, sub it out to someone with a cnc.
Or, you could do it manually with a hand held router, a straight edge and a V bit, but that'd be a massive pain.

My shop is in a town of 235 people. Woopty do.

Try not being a snot, you'll get treated like dirt pretty quickly on the interweb.
You really need to look in the mirror instead if through your rose colored glasses.

Mike Henderson
08-29-2017, 2:00 PM
You can ignore an individual poster or a list of posters. Click on "forums", then "forum Actions" "general settings". Under "my account" on the left hand side (list), click on "edit ignore list". Add the person's name to that list (the name they use on the forum). You will not see any more of that person's postings.

Mike

Mel Fulks
08-29-2017, 2:15 PM
I had searched google for "v board" and mostly found a bunch of links for "Brown v Board of Education".

It overturned "Plessey vs. Ferguson"...so I did learn something in school

Since the "V"s in old work are planed and smooth ,I can only imagine that the "rustic" would come from a sawn surface.

Brad Barnhart
08-29-2017, 2:42 PM
thank you for the replies & ideas. The benefit to this is I don't have much to make. That was another reason I was curious about just making it myself.

I also appreciate the support from those that understand my question, & understood I wasn't bein a "snot." I'm not new to woodworking, but like others, have questions & am willing to learn from others point of view. But refuse to be talked down to by anyone, as I'm sure you all are. Thank you again for your help & replies.

Nick Decker
08-29-2017, 2:52 PM
Brad,

I once made some "v board" as a decorative touch on a small box lid. I would advise not using a router bit that forms a real acute angle, as it ends up not looking much like a "v". As always, do some scrap first.

Ted Reischl
08-29-2017, 3:48 PM
I am thinking that "v" board is something that used to be called "car siding". It was typically low quality pine that was tongue and groove with that V milled on the edges. At one time it was cheap as dirt, then it got to be trendy..... Oh, it was called car siding because it was used to line the inside of railroad cars, why I do not know????

BTW, Marty? It looks like the "interweb" thinks you are pretty much a royal PITA. See ya around, Marty.

Jim Finn
08-29-2017, 4:25 PM
Yes, you could make "v board".

Just make tongue and groove 1x 6 and then cut the small 45 near each side with a router.

I am shocked that people do not know what v board is. Try a Google for "pine v board".
I would call it "paneling" Not "V" board.

Lee Schierer
08-29-2017, 4:58 PM
Instead of repeating comments made in poor taste, please just report the offense and let the moderators deal with it.

Brad Barnhart
08-30-2017, 12:58 AM
i wondered about that, Nick. I'm willing to try anything feasible. I'm more cautious with old age.

Brad Barnhart
08-30-2017, 1:06 AM
For a one shot deal, I would just use plywood, with a straight edge, a router and V bit. Spacer it over to keep the pattern going.
this is exactly what I'm thinking, Rick! Thank you, Sir! After doin' some research, this is the solution I've come up with. Thank you Sir!

Rick Potter
08-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Sir? Wow, have I moved up in the world. You should hear what they call me at home.;)

Thanks, glad to help.

Shoot us a pic, when it's done.

Jason Mikits
08-30-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm going to make some paneling with this set from mlcs.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/graphics2/tongr2.jpg

Bruce Wrenn
08-30-2017, 9:33 PM
I'm going to make some paneling with this set from mlcs.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/graphics2/tongr2.jpgBeing in the repair business, more than once I have had to match existing boards. Because today's lumber is narrower than older stuff, I have to start with the next width board, and cut it to width. Instead of T&G, I use lap joints. Cut the "V" using my Sears molding head. Corab cutters makes cutters for both Sears and Delta molding heads, FYI. Be aware that the chip bin fills rapidly. DAMHIK!

Brad Barnhart
08-30-2017, 9:59 PM
where I come from Mr. Rick, it's called respect, brother. I appreciate your suggestion. At this point, I haven't been able to find any used v board panels, so I'm going to go with your suggestion. Using pallet wood glued together to make a panel, I'm just going to cut v's in the panel, & go from there.

Rick Potter
08-31-2017, 1:35 AM
The pallet wood should take care of the 'rustic' problem. Sounds like a good idea.

Brad Barnhart
08-31-2017, 1:25 PM
thank you, Mr. Rick.:) If I took the time to type out how my customer wants this to look in her words on the paper she handed me, it'd take me all afternoon:confused: I'm "technologically illiterate" in a lot of ways. I ain't figgered out the picture part yet onto here yet, but am working on it.
I figgered w/the pallet wood, I could get darker to lighter colors in the same panel, which is what she wants. I just hate the thought of running pallet lumber thru my planer & jointer.:( But, at the moment, all I can do is research & gather ideas for the project. I'm confined to the house w/sinus & ear infection:mad: my allergies have had a mind of their own for goin' on a month. I may be ringin' your phone for more assistance, if you don't mind. Thank you again for your time, Sir. Ya get a chance, & want to, jump over to our fb page "Sawdust Haven" & have a look see at our work. I'd be interested in your feedback.