PDA

View Full Version : Pacemaker/Defibrillator

Steve Plunkett
10-29-2005, 6:43 PM
This may be a little off topic, but I recently had a pacemaker/defibrillator installed to correct some irregular heartbeat issues. I wondered if any of you have one and if it has caused you any problems working with your lathe or other power tools. I would appreciate any comments or advice.

John Shuk
10-29-2005, 7:47 PM
I would certainly check with a doctor about working with a dc motor or something like the Nova DVR or a Poolewood. I hope you get the right answer.

Jim Ketron
10-29-2005, 7:49 PM
I don't Know Steve?
But I hope you can, I would just ask the DR.
what type of lathe you got? I know they say that variable speed lathes mess up am radios so I would look into it closely

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-29-2005, 8:06 PM
We had a local woodworker who had one and ran into a problem with a power carver. It knocked him down and the Doctor told him to stay away from ALL power tools!

Please check with your Doctor before starting up any tools.

Bruce

John Hart
10-30-2005, 6:32 AM
Steve, I would think that there are certain electronic devices within certain power tools that could cause a problem for you. It would be a crime if it stopped you from doing what you enjoy. After further research, you find that you should avoid these devices, maybe you could retrofit some tools the way that the Amish do. Some use a pulley system, driven by diesel motors and others use pneumatic systems to drive all the tools in their shops. The pulley system seems to be the most cost effective.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2005, 9:06 AM
Steve as stated by others check with your doctor. I will give you one piece of advice based on professional experience. BE SURE to advise any medical professional that you have this device before any medical procedures especially MR scans. I've seen several patients that had their pace makers program wiped out by the magnets in an MR scanner. Luckily in the limited number of cases I've been around, the patient was rolled down to ER and their cardiolgist was able to reprogram the pacemaker. Check with your cardilogist about woodworking tools and pacemakers. As stated by John you might have to change your tools or maybe go powerless (become a neander) but I wouldn't let this stop you from woodworking. Good Luck!

Dick Heifner
10-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Steve,
Iv'e had the combo since 1993, since then Iv'e had two more replacements and the only thing I have to stay away from is Margritais. I went to the hospitol the first time it went off and it knocked me on my butt, the nurses were afriad to touch me. As far a wood working machinery I haven't had any problems.
Good luck ,
Dick