PDA

View Full Version : exhaust system for new laser

Jennifer Cox
08-28-2017, 6:53 PM
Newbie here,,,buying a new laser machine and the sales rep has quoted along with the machine an exhaust unit for over $5000 (cnd). Just wondering how others exhaust the fumes out of their shops? Wondering if I really need this unit or not?

Tim Bateson
08-28-2017, 7:01 PM
Depends. I'm assuming you are going to be burning, charring, melting, cutting..... All of which has some sort-of by product. Some more than others. You either breath it or exhaust it. If the $5,000 was just for the exhaust it's some sort-of indoor filter, very nice to have. The other option is venting outdoors with a $200 blower.

Mark Sipes
08-28-2017, 7:18 PM
Residential or Commercial ?....... Length of run to outside ?..... recommended CFM at laser table? ..........

I'm in a commercial area and I exhaust right out the machine thru the wall to the outside. 4" Inline fan unit. Low noise level, low friction loss, no odor complaints next to a gas station.

Residential may require a roof stack outlet to get the fume mixed so complaints are abated....requires larger fan unit to push/pull air depends on length of run.

$5,000 unit has carbon filters that are expensive to replace but in a trade show environment would be a necessity...

Hope this helps!

Jennifer Cox
08-28-2017, 7:44 PM
Yes, I will be burning, melting, cutting etc and I believe the exhaust unit is an upsell from the sales rep perhaps.

Jennifer Cox
08-28-2017, 7:47 PM
I will be putting the machine in my small shop at the lake so located in the sticks so to speak. Don't think exhausting to outside would be much of an issue around there.

Length of run would be very, very minimal

i figured maybe the $5000 unit was an unnecessary add on.

Tony Lenkic
08-28-2017, 8:40 PM
Jennifer,

In your case all you need is a dust collector style blower that will cost you less than $500.00 including all hardware and hose to vent outside.
Filtration systems are costly and will require frequent change of filters and odor eliminating carbon pellets.

Where in Canada are you? I may be able to suggest which blower to go with.

Jennifer Cox
09-14-2017, 3:24 PM
Hi Tony, I am in New Brunswick. Any info would be much appreciated.

Tony Lenkic
09-14-2017, 4:56 PM
Do you have a Busy Bee Machinery locally?
See their web page........ look at CT126 dust collector. That is what I have and it works great. They also have all attachments and hose you need.

http://www.busybeetools.com/categories/Dust-Collection/Dust-Collection/1HP-Dust-Collectors/

Jennifer Cox
09-15-2017, 9:55 AM
There is a Busy Bee close enough that I could get there no problem (4 hours). Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that online. I was also on the Quatro website looking at some units. I thought I might reach out to them as well.

Ron Sleeman
09-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Hello Jennifer: I too live on a lake in Canada, but in B.C. Here is what I have for a set-up. It's a 3 hp shop vac that take the fumes out of my Speed 400. It's 20 feet from my machine & I have no problem with it taking all the fumes out of my shop367922

Jennifer Cox
09-15-2017, 11:52 AM
Thanks Ron for the info. I am becoming more and more convinced that I don't need to invest in a $5000 unit as was suggested.
Isn't lake life wonderful!

Doug Fisher
09-15-2017, 1:19 PM
If it is four hours to drive, you can order a good fan via Amazon and get the tubing/ducting/piping from Amazon too if you don't have a nearby home center that stocks that stuff. Do a search here for past recommendations.

Ron Sleeman
09-15-2017, 1:49 PM
Hello Doug: Amazon kicks us in the butt when they have to deliver to Canada....lol

Ron Sleeman
09-15-2017, 1:53 PM
Jennifer: For what it will cost you to drive there, save the gas money. They will ship it to you free it the order is over $ 100.00. They did it for me & I live 6 hours from Busy Bee Tools. Yes, lake life is good. But my wife & I winter in P.V. Mexico for the winters..lol life is really good..lol

Gene Uselman
09-23-2017, 3:35 PM
Jennifer: For what it will cost you to drive there, save the gas money. They will ship it to you free it the order is over $ 100.00. They did it for me & I live 6 hours from Busy Bee Tools. Yes, lake life is good. But my wife & I winter in P.V. Mexico for the winters..lol life is really good..lol
We are going to Puerto Vallarta this winter for a week. Never been there but going with young relatives who speak Spanish. Gene

Phil Nolt
02-11-2019, 1:40 PM
Jennifer,

In your case all you need is a dust collector style blower that will cost you less than $500.00 including all hardware and hose to vent outside.
Filtration systems are costly and will require frequent change of filters and odor eliminating carbon pellets.

Where in Canada are you? I may be able to suggest which blower to go with.

Hi Tony,
I see that you use a Quatro 626 Fume Extractor. Could you share your thoughts?

Do you use it indoors (not venting to outside)?
Does it eliminate all odors?
Are the filter lifespans/costs reasonable?
Is there enough suction to remove smoke from laser bed?
Any other thoughts?

TIA

Tony Lenkic
02-11-2019, 3:12 PM
Hi Phil,

Do you use it indoors (not venting to outside)?.....................My setup is for indoor venting
Does it eliminate all odors?............................................ ....Not all, there is always some smell when lid is open after cutting job. When engraving only it is OK.
Are the filter lifespans/costs reasonable?.............................In my workload pre filter bag lasts couple of months, pleated filter and hepa 6-8 month and carbon pellets ~ 2years.
Is there enough suction to remove smoke from laser bed?.... Suction is OK but not as strong as direct outdoor venting with blower.
Any other thoughts?......................................... ............... If you can venting with blower would be less costly and better option.

Hope this helps.

Mike Thornbury
02-12-2019, 2:46 AM
Thanks Ron for the info. I am becoming more and more convinced that I don't need to invest in a $5000 unit as was suggested.
Isn't lake life wonderful!

You also have to question what you are being offered in the way of a laser and how much of an 'upsell' that is from what you need. If they are looking to take advantage of you with this, I would rate them untrustworthy enough to go shop elsewhere.

EDIT: Saw this was a couple of years old - hope you got a good deal.