PDA

View Full Version : Really stupidly high quality wood...

Chris Hachet
08-28-2017, 3:56 PM
So I share my shop with an aspiring guitar builder and he is building guitars that sound and look fantastic. He would like to find really highly curly maple, clairo walnut, high quality exotics, etc. for some of his work.

Is there a place that one can readily buy spectacular lumber in small quantities?

Steve Eure
08-28-2017, 4:40 PM
Woodcraft and Rockler are two that I occasionally buy from when I need smaller quantities, but be forewarned, the prices are much higher when buying smaller pieces. Also, the shipping can be a factor. Rockler has free shipping for orders over $35 so that helps a bit. Woodcraft has good sales occasionally with specials on shipping. Regardless, prices can be 3 to 4 times higher per BF buying smaller. I've actually saved money driving 300 plus miles to pick up wood from woodworking supply stores to hand pick wood for a project because shipping cost were so high. I usually buy in larger pieces though.

Harold Balzonia
08-28-2017, 5:33 PM
So I share my shop with an aspiring guitar builder and he is building guitars that sound and look fantastic. He would like to find really highly curly maple, clairo walnut, high quality exotics, etc. for some of his work.

Is there a place that one can readily buy spectacular lumber in small quantities?

where are you located?

Don Parker
08-28-2017, 6:29 PM
Luthiers Mercantile International
Old World Tonewood
RC Tonewoods
West Penn Hardwoods
Hibdon Hardwood
A. Hix Tonewood
Colonial Tonewoods

John K Jordan
08-28-2017, 6:34 PM
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/

Click on the type of instrument to see the wood they offer. Not cheap. When I see the prices it almost makes me want to sell some of my stock. Almost.

JKJ

roger wiegand
08-30-2017, 8:41 AM
Don Parker's list is very good. I've used Hearne and Hearne in PA in addition to several of those listed. I've also found spectacular boards on ebay-- mostly by communicating with sellers of individual boards that were close to what I wanted if they weren't showing exactly what I was looking for. Talarico also has some very nice, highly figured wood. Years ago LMI was excellent for sitka spruce, I haven't bought any in quite a while.

Stan Calow
08-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Bell Forest Products is good source for curly maple. Don't know if they pre-cut for guitar sets.

Chris Hachet
08-30-2017, 10:51 AM
where are you located?

Columbus Ohio!

Chris Hachet
08-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Luthiers Mercantile International
Old World Tonewood
RC Tonewoods
West Penn Hardwoods
Hibdon Hardwood
A. Hix Tonewood
Colonial Tonewoods

Thanks, this should be helpful.

Chris Hachet
08-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Bell Forest Products is good source for curly maple. Don't know if they pre-cut for guitar sets.

I can cut anything I need, I own the mother of all home band saws...

Brad Shipton
08-30-2017, 1:26 PM
Hearne Hardwoods (http://hearnehardwoods.com/) might be another to consider. They have tons of specialty wood for projects like this and they do sell individual boards.

Jerrimy Snook
08-30-2017, 1:33 PM
nwtimber.net (http://nwtimber.net)
gilmerwood.com (http://gilmerwood.com)

Don Parker
08-30-2017, 1:54 PM
I gave the list earlier. Another thing to mention: An acoustic guitar turns out better if most of the pieces of wood that are used to make it are quartersawn. The more vertical the grain is, the better. That's why I would recommend buying from suppliers who cater to luthiers. They obtain and cut the wood so as to yield what guitar makers need.

David Bassett
09-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Global Wood Source (https://www.globalwoodsource.com/acoustic-sets/) is local to me, so I occasionally wander through drooling over their selection. They seem to specialize in guitar body wood.

Since seeing is so important, I'm not sure they're as good for your friend, nor am I sure how competitively priced they are. (They collect stickers & posters from luthiers & guitarists that have been customers & I'm not sure they're missing any from the west coast. I'm neither a luthier nor a guitarist and the Santa Cruz Guitars was the biggest company I recognized, but I'm sure there were smaller more prestigious luthiers too.)

John C Cox
09-24-2017, 1:39 PM
I get most of my guitar wood by carefully picking through the piles at the local woodworking stores..

A lot of woodworkers and cabinet makers want flat sawn wood because its easier to match in large projects than quartersawn.. And while they may appreciate the beauty of a really unique piece of wood - the trouble becomes matching it... And so it gets left behind for somebody like me..

John Blazy
09-26-2017, 3:28 PM
I get most of my guitar wood by carefully picking through the piles at the local woodworking stores..

A lot of woodworkers and cabinet makers want flat sawn wood because its easier to match in large projects than quartersawn.. And while they may appreciate the beauty of a really unique piece of wood - the trouble becomes matching it... And so it gets left behind for somebody like me..
I think what Don was referring to was that quartersawn wood expands and contracts half as much as flat / plainsawn, which is important in guitars.

John C Cox
09-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Yes. I build acoustic guitars as a hobby. I get most of my quartersawn wood from exotic and domestic hardwood lumber...

If you don't want to saw your own (perfectly valid) - there are several very good luthier supply places that sell it in the dimensions you need....

Don't overlook Aaron Hix and Bob Cefalu. Allied lutherie often has some good stuff.

There are also individual
Luthiers who will sell out of their stashes such as John Hall...

Matt Lau
02-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Huge props to Old World Tonewood.
The guy is a violin maker who started the company to get his own stash.
He has the nicest Euro Spruce that I've had the pleasure of working with.
His maple and other stuff is likely great too.

Colonial tone woods is great.

Luthier's mercantile can be hit or miss. I've had great wood, and some very bad wood too.