PDA

View Full Version : Finally used my coring set-up

Dick Parr
10-29-2005, 6:03 PM
I received a rather Large chunk of walnut from Mr. Mark Cothren a few weeks ago and finally decided to try my new to me coring set-up. I was able to get 3 bowls of out of the blank that started out at 15-1/2" x 5-1/2" rough. The smallest is about 7" and the largest is about 14-1/2" x 3-1/2". They are soaking for tonight but there are a few cracks already in each of them.:(

Glad I cored this blank because I carried out 2-1/2 13 gal containers of chips as it was, just from roughing.:rolleyes:

Chris Barton
10-29-2005, 6:07 PM
Which coring rig do you use Dick? I need to get one but, am undecided on which to buy. Had some guys say the Oneway is the best and others that like the McNaughton.

John Miliunas
10-29-2005, 6:19 PM
Looks like you're getting some good mileage out of it already, Dick! Cool.:) Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing which one you got. Also, how much of a learning curve and how long did it take you to punch those three out??? It'll probably be quite a while before I can get into one of those units, but good to know what works well. Thanks for the post.:) :cool:

Michael Stafford
10-29-2005, 6:22 PM
Pretty cool, Dick! Looks like you are getting some ring shake out of that blank. Be careful when you chuck that baby up so it doesn't come apart in your face.

Jim Ketron
10-29-2005, 7:26 PM
Nice Blanks Dick! Hope they work out for you!

Corey Hallagan
10-29-2005, 8:36 PM
Very nice Dick!

Corey

Dick Parr
10-29-2005, 9:00 PM
Thanks everyone, and yes Mike I will be watching out for the piece's when they fly. After I take the out of the DNA I will try adding some CA glue to them.

Chris and John I have the McNaughton standard set and so far I love it. This is only the second time I have used it, so I am still learning. The small bowl came out real quick, but the middle one took a little while (still learning). But these were easier then the first time I used it.

Which ever one you decide to get, if they have a video showing how to use it, get it. That made a big difference and helped a lot.:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
10-29-2005, 9:31 PM
Thanks everyone, and yes Mike I will be watching out for the piece's when they fly. After I take the out of the DNA I will try adding some CA glue to them.

Chris and John I have the McNaughton standard set and so far I love it. This is only the second time I have used it, so I am still learning. The small bowl came out real quick, but the middle one took a little while (still learning). But these were easier then the first time I used it.

Which ever one you decide to get, if they have a video showing how to use it, get it. That made a big difference and helped a lot.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the additional info and tips, Dick! Looks like you're enjoying it!:) :cool:

Mark Cothren
10-29-2005, 9:36 PM
Good goin', Dick! Sorry to hear that stinky Black Walnut is crackin' up on ya....:mad:

Dick Parr
10-30-2005, 3:20 PM
Thanks Mark, believe me I will salvage some bowls out this before I am done.;) They might be smaller then planned, but I will get 3 out of it.

Looks like this tree was under some real stress with all the internal shear cracks that are coming out:( But it is some really pretty walnut.

Will let ya know in about a month.:D

Thanks again Mark for the walnut.;)