PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Spindle Sander Sleeves?

Mark R Webster
08-28-2017, 12:57 AM
I ended up with several 60 grit sanding sleeves 3/4 to 3" sizes for my spindle sander. They happen to be twice as long as what the tool calls for. I would like to cut them in half but assume the process will dull/ruin anything I use to cut them. What do you guys find to be the least offensive method to accomplish this? Thanks;)

John K Jordan
08-28-2017, 7:04 AM
I ended up with several 60 grit sanding sleeves 3/4 to 3" sizes for my spindle sander. They happen to be twice as long as what the tool calls for. I would like to cut them in half but assume the process will dull/ruin anything I use to cut them. What do you guys find to be the least offensive method to accomplish this? Thanks;)

I keep special heavy duty scissors just for cutting sandpaper but that wouldn't work on the sleeves. I haven't tried cutting sanding sleeves but my first thought would be to try a thin 4.5" abrasive cutoff wheel on an angle grinder, perhaps while rotating the sleeve. The sleeves I use are pretty stiff but if not I might slide them on a wooden mandrel for support, held in a lathe chuck. If the grit wore down the cutoff wheel too quickly a diamond tile/stone blade might do it. Interesting problem.

JKJ

Cary Falk
08-28-2017, 8:57 AM
I would try a box cutter.

Yonak Hawkins
08-28-2017, 10:30 AM
I use an old steel saw blade that came with my radial arm saw many years ago which I have never found a use for except exactly this purpose. I set the blade low on my table saw, use the fence and do many at a time so they're always available.

Mike Ontko
08-28-2017, 10:47 AM
I kept the cheap-o blade that came with my bandsaw for just such purposes.

How about using a hacksaw in a home-made miter jig (if a straight 90-degree cut is needed)?

Wayne Jolly
08-28-2017, 11:41 AM
Hacksaw + jig?

Mark R Webster
08-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all your ideas, just what I was hoping for. I used a hacksaw on the first one before I posted. I mounted it on the rubber mandrel for support extending off the end so I could make the cut. It worked... but, the saw won't cut much else at this point. Hadn't thought of the cut-off wheel or the old blades... that is what I love about forums :D