PDA

View Full Version : Confetti Light and Candles

Dick Parr
10-29-2005, 5:54 PM
Found a confetti light at one of the local craft stores for $1.49 (filled with oil), but they only had the one left. Now I wish I had picked the bottom for the top on this piece of box elder that has been air drying since last Oct. It is 7"x3" and is finished with Watco and buffed with wax. Lots of curl in the batch of box elder.

The two candles are the result of the store only having one confetti light, but I kind of like them. Again box elder 5" and 6" in dia x 1-3/4" and these are finished with Mylands friction polish with a coat of Renaissance wax on top.

Chris Barton
10-29-2005, 6:00 PM
They both look great Dick. I am going to have to swing by Michael's and see if they have any of these lamps...

Dick Parr
10-29-2005, 6:05 PM
That is were I found this one Chris. The lady said some were on order, so I will be checking back.;)

Michael Stafford
10-29-2005, 6:19 PM
Looks great, Dick. Does Michaels normally stock these and is that a good price for a confetti lamp?

Glenn Hodges
10-29-2005, 7:03 PM
Good job, be careful those things are adictive.

Jim Ketron
10-29-2005, 7:20 PM
Nice Job Dick!
They all look great!

Robert Watsek
10-29-2005, 8:36 PM
They look great Dick!

I'm going to have to try those one of these days they look like fun.

Bob

Dick Parr
10-29-2005, 9:06 PM
Mike the answer is yes according to the lady I talked with there. These are little bigger then the ones sold at the turning places 1" to 1-1/2" in dia and this one is 2-3/8" in dia. The sell for $9.99 for 4 of them on the web.

Mark Cothren
10-29-2005, 9:33 PM
Lookin' good, Dick! Love that Box Elder!

Thanks for the picture!

John Hart
10-29-2005, 9:41 PM
I went everywhere today looking for those lamps....'cept for Michaels....Sheesh. Tomorrow is another day. If I can find some, I have a bunch of wood lined up that's perfect for this!! Nice work Dick....I think I'm about to get addicted too!;)

Joe Judge
10-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Ditto !

1- Ditto on the project.
I'm waiting for confetti lights from Packard, so I hit Michaels and found those exact oil lamps -- 1 down, 2 more to go for me.
Mine is ugly ... so I won't post this first/ugly one.

2- Ditto on the comments.
I like your picts. Those are some nice lamps/lights

-- joe

Dick Strauss
10-30-2005, 6:22 PM
Dick,
It seems that the box elder at my sisters place has some red flame to it like your work. However, the pieces with good color seem to have punky heartwood. Do you use punky wood and use a stabilizer? Do you have any suggestions for finding the best color in the wood? How is it to turn?

I'm sorry for all of the questions but I'm just getting started turning...

Dick

Charles McKinley
10-30-2005, 7:29 PM
Hi Dick,

Those look great. Unfortunately the Michael's in Butler, PA didn't have them. The search goes on.

Mike Ramsey
10-31-2005, 10:47 AM
Nice work Dick, Good looking lamps..Need to try some myself.

Keith Burns
10-31-2005, 8:56 PM
Like the rounded ones, especially the one with the grooves. Personnaly I'm not that fond of the flat one but thats just me.

John Miliunas
10-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Dick, those are slick looking and beautiful finish on them, as well! You're just cranking out the turned products of late! Must be feeling better, huh?:)

Now, a question for you or anyone else getting those lamps at Michaels: Can someone please, give me a stock number or part number or brand they're selling them by??? I stopped at our Michaels in Madison today and couldn't find them. The girl I asked, kind of looked "funny" at me (imagine that...A big fat guy in a craft store looking for some "little oil lamps"):D and said they didn't carry them!:( I'm not exactly convinced she truly knows, because this is a BIG store with all kinds of crafty stuff in it. Price sure beats Internet pricing with s/h!!! Thanks!:) :cool:

Dick Parr
11-01-2005, 8:10 AM
HI John,

The name of them is Liquid Candle by Ultra-Pure and the sku number on the scan tag is, 76354613351

But I have been informed by a friend that you can also get these lights at Wal-Mart for $0.99 each instead of $1.49

Hope this helps.

John Miliunas
11-01-2005, 8:23 AM
HI John,

The name of them is Liquid Candle by Ultra-Pure and the sku number on the scan tag is, 76354613351

But I have been informed by a friend that you can also get these lights at Wal-Mart for $0.99 each instead of $1.49

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, Dick! BUT, I think that possibly, the same "friend" dropped me a line, as well. The indication is that, these are plastic units. No biggie but, I understand they're not refillable. Yes/no???:) :cool:

Dick Parr
11-01-2005, 8:21 PM
John you are right about them not being refillable. But.

I went to Wal-Mart today and they only had 8 left on the shelf and were marked $0.97 each, so I took all 8. When the lady rang up my purchase they rang up as $.60 each.:D So I went back to have someone check the stock to see if they had more and Nope they didn't, but more were on order but they did not know when they would be in.:(

Oh well, 8 will keep me busy until I can at least start selling some of these.:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
11-01-2005, 8:30 PM
John you are right about them not being refillable. But.

I went to Wal-Mart today and they only had 8 left on the shelf and were marked $0.97 each, so I took all 8. When the lady rang up my purchase they rang up as $.60 each.:D So I went back to have someone check the stock to see if they had more and Nope they didn't, but more were on order but they did not know when they would be in.:(

Oh well, 8 will keep me busy until I can at least start selling some of these.:rolleyes:

Hmmm...at that price, I may have to check our local WM after all! And, now that I think about it, the wick has to go in through some type of opening in the top, no? Wonder if a guy couldn't pull the wick out and use one of those real small funnels or even a squeeze bottle with oil to refill those puppies???:confused: Just something else which might make a guy say, "Hmmmmmm....I wonder...!" Thanks for the additional info, Dick!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
11-01-2005, 8:34 PM
Okay, now, as long as I still might have your attention, I do have another question for you. I note that the bulk of the turned blank on these is still solid, which in my way of thinking, is good, so that there's a bit more of an "anchor" to keep something burning in its place. :) My question being: Are you using completely dried blanks then? You know...Something which has been air dried for a million years or dried in the kiln? I know: Dumb question, but I need to know before I venture too far into this, as I don't have a whole lot of completely dry blanks.:o Thanks!:) :cool:

Dick Parr
11-01-2005, 8:44 PM
John all 4 of these box elder pieces were cut last Oct and have been air drying since. I have not tried anything green yet but if I did I would soak it in DNA and let it sit a few weeks and then go back and clean up any wood movement. I have a number of pieces ( one complete birch tree) that I am going to start using along with another large number of Silver Maple that is only about 6 months dry.

Stuff this thick kiln dry would cost to much for my to buy.:(

Have fun.

Mike Ramsey
11-10-2005, 9:25 AM
Dick, went back to WM to get a few more candles and when they scanned
them in they were only 0.30! They said that they always mark them down
after Halloween. Ended up getting 30 more.

John Hart
11-10-2005, 9:30 AM
Wow! That's great news Mike. I know where I'm going after work! :)

Dick Parr
11-10-2005, 7:29 PM
Thanks Mike, will going back tomorrow.