PDA

View Full Version : Total Knee done Aug 16

David Ragan
08-27-2017, 3:49 PM
Hi

I was finally out of options, and after three years of daily unremitting pain (and very few pain pills:)), I finally had my left knee done w Conformis System-that is a custom "resurfacing" of the articulating surfaces of the joint-in my case, all three.

Had to wait 6 weeks for the 3-D printed titanium appliance to arrive from Germany.

It was done Aug 16.

I'm 59. Got real familiar w the PT staff, exercises, etc. in my attempt to wiggle out of this. The PT lady comes to the house M, W, F. I will start seeing my favorite PT, Maria, down @ her place in a week or so.

Today was my first day back down to bsmt shop-doing what I was many weeks before surgery-staring @ my tools.

Tomorrow, I start on the Schwin Airdyne daily, or at least 5 days out of the week.

What are you-alls experience w total knee replacement?

The surgeon has admonished me to take the pain meds, and be more active.....Heartless fellow.

Patience was never my strong suit.

Thanks, David

Ken Fitzgerald
08-27-2017, 4:03 PM
Glad to hear you are on the mend David!

While I haven't had a total knee replacement, my youngest sister has had both knees replaced and she says it's the best thing she ever did. My sister who is 18 months younger than I just had hers replaced on the 12th of August and she's still fighting through the post surgery pain along with her problems with pain meds.

Both of my knees are candidates but I am able to continue for now.

Matt Day
08-27-2017, 4:28 PM
My father had his knee done last year and stayed with us for a couple months during at home rehab until his first follow up with the doc.

What I observed was that he didn't do all his exercises and stretches like he could have done and now he doesn't have the flexibility he could have. He's better than he was before surgery and is happy he did it and in a good place, but I would strongly suggest you do everything possible post surgery from a PT/stretching standpoint. It will pay off down the road.

Larry Frank
08-27-2017, 6:59 PM
The road to recovery is thru the exercises and therapy. I have not had the knee butt have had two hips, back and both wrists. I understand that the knee takes lots of exercise and stretching. If your doctorates you to do the therapy and take meds so you can do them....follow his instructions.

It sounds like you are recovering well....good luck.

Frederick Skelly
08-27-2017, 7:00 PM
Get well soon David. Do what they tell you and you'll be better off for it. (Of course, you already know that but I've heard Doctors and Nurses make tough patients ;) )

Best wishes,
Fred

Jim Becker
08-27-2017, 7:12 PM
My mother had her knees done and my dad had a hip replaced. I know many others who have had similar, including one woman who had BOTH knees done at the SAME time. No matter how much of a "pain" doing PT is, the radical reduction of actual joint pain is pretty amazing... 'Glad to hear you're on the mend!

Bruce Wrenn
08-27-2017, 9:31 PM
4+ years out from Bilateral knee replacement. Had to have both of them done, so did them at the same time. Left one works great, and right one can be so-so. Funny thing is my disability insurance company sent me a notice that they were stopping to pay me as doctor and my employer said I could return to work. Called doctor's office to find out who told them that, and answer was NO ONE! As for employer, I'm self employed and I sure didn't say I could return to work either. A real moment of victory is when you can put on your under ware standing up!

Dave Zellers
08-27-2017, 10:18 PM
The road to recovery is thru the exercises and therapy. I have not had the knee butt have had two hips, back and both wrists.

Wait- there is wrist replacement surgery? That's a new one on me. Wow.

As I approach 66 my knees are not the best and I'm hoping against hope to stave it off...

John Terefenko
08-27-2017, 11:53 PM
My brother just had one of his done about 3 months ago or a little longer. He has been doing all the exercise and stretch which is very important. Had to take pain killers for a few weeks and now is off them. Yes there is still some pain especially at night but it gets less and less. Everyone is different but he said that when he needs his other knee done he will wait as long as he can stand the pain. Not much fun. He is 56 and has just gotten OKed for full disability retirement. Can't do what he use to do which was construction work.

Larry Frank
08-28-2017, 7:29 AM
Wrists were not replacement the bones rearranged to provide a new surface. Surgery was called four corner fusion and took over 3 hours. The result is mostly pain free and good range of motion. Not very many orthopedic surgeons do this surgery but I was fortunate to have a great one.

BOB OLINGER
08-28-2017, 4:21 PM
Interesting - my wife had total knee replacement also on August 16. She's doing daily at home exercises and physical therapy appointments 3 times per week. From all aspects, she's doing above average. She's looking forward to getting all of this behind her.

Jim Becker
08-28-2017, 8:06 PM
Wrists were not replacement the bones rearranged to provide a new surface. Surgery was called four corner fusion and took over 3 hours. The result is mostly pain free and good range of motion. Not very many orthopedic surgeons do this surgery but I was fortunate to have a great one.
I had my left wrist done on 22 June and was able to have the proximal row carpectomy procedure (removal of the first row--three bones) rather than fusion. I'm sure my recovery has been very similar to yours and like you, was fortunate to have an excellent surgeon. The only motion I'm still struggling with a little is flexion, but the rest of the "directions" are where they need to be, considering. Hopefully, over time, the flexion will get more toward the 30º that the doctor wants, rather than the 16º it's stuck at right now. Regardless...it's wonderful to not have that "bone on bone" pain anymore!

Dave Zellers
08-28-2017, 8:35 PM

THAT is just seriously awesome.

Wowsers.

And for JB too. Incredible.

Larry Frank
08-28-2017, 9:37 PM
My 4 corner fusion was completed with no metal hardware left in the hand. I did have pins in my hand for 8 weeks with the wrist in a cast. The 4 corner fusion is a more complicated surgery but does not have the potential of developing arthritis down the road that is associated with proximal row carpectomy.

My flexibility in both wrists is quite a bit better than what Jim is reporting.

I did intensive reading about the procedures and found a doctor who has written numerous peer reviewed journal articles. He is also the nicest and easiest to talk to doctor. However, this was the most painful surgery I have under had. It was worth it.

When facing any type of surgery, it is well worth the time to read as much as possible about the procedure and the surgeon.

The wrist surgeries are why I do not do a lot of Neanderthal woodworking. My wrists were fixed once and I can not afford to damage or wear them

Jim Becker
08-29-2017, 7:45 PM
I'm really glad to hear your flexibility is great, Larry! I'm only a few months in, so I suspect things will improve on flexion over time...my surgeon has stated numerous times that 6-9 mos isn't unusual. I see her tomorrow for my last post-op followup, so I'm sure this will be discussed.

{We now return you to your regularly scheduled knee replacement topic. :D}

bill kaminski
08-30-2017, 9:15 PM
Hi David..good luck on your re-hab, of course. I had my left knee done on Apr 10, and my right knee on Jul 17. Yes, both this year.:eek: While it is not the easiest thing I have ever done, it is not impossible. Re-hab is your friend. The more diligent you are, results come faster. BUT, don't overdo it either. This takes time. I do therapy twice weekly, and it really does help, greatly. I also have a shop in the basement. I use trips up and down the stairs as extra therapy. I just finished nailing..yes, nailed..a birdhouse together. A simple project for sure, but satisfying. A sideboard is next. RE.the pain meds..TAKE THEM..if you do not feel as good as you can, you may slack off on therapy. I know..cause it hurts. It will get better. bill

Bill Jobe
08-31-2017, 3:36 AM
I'm facing a need to have my knee replaced, but I have as variable perhaps the others who have responded do not have to deal with: addiction to pain medication. If I take one I can't stop til they are gone. This is the one thing holding me back. I am affraid to face what I've been told is one of the most painful recoveries there are.
When I had both shoulders done years ago I had an excellent surgeon but he was death on narcotic pain meds. I had to beg for each and every pill. I had to call the nurse's station from home to request a refill and was always told they would call it in at another time if the doctor approved it.
He often became angry and hostile with me over to the matter. Why? I did not ask to become addicted. I had no control over it. I just don't understand why a doctor would become angry at me for something out of my hands.

So....I face the very likely probability of going through this without meds. My condition had reached critical mass. The sound of my knee particularly going up and down stairs creeps me out. There is obviously bare bone on bare bone. My with thinks walking more will fix it. How, if there is no longer softer tissue remaining?

I'd be most appreciative of others who have faced this procedure without opioids sharing their story with me.

Anyone use medical marijuana? Did it help you through the rehab to the very end?
In Illinois we now have medical marijuana available, but I understand it is difficult to qualify.

All comments and suggestions welcome. I can't go much longer with this knee.

Larry Frank
08-31-2017, 7:27 AM
I have chronic pain issues from my back, hips and other things. I think you should find a "good" pain management doctor and discuss your issues with him. They will have some good ideas. My experience is that orthopedic doctors do great with surgery but not as good with handling the pain issues.

My pain management doctor has been a great help to me and suggesting options.

David Ragan
09-01-2017, 1:43 PM
I'm facing a need to have my knee replaced, but I have as variable perhaps the others who have responded do not have to deal with: addiction to pain medication. If I take one I can't stop til they are gone. This is the one thing holding me back. I am affraid to face what I've been told is one of the most painful recoveries there are.
When I had both shoulders done years ago I had an excellent surgeon but he was death on narcotic pain meds. I had to beg for each and every pill. I had to call the nurse's station from home to request a refill and was always told they would call it in at another time if the doctor approved it.
He often became angry and hostile with me over to the matter. Why? I did not ask to become addicted. I had no control over it. I just don't understand why a doctor would become angry at me for something out of my hands.

So....I face the very likely probability of going through this without meds. My condition had reached critical mass. The sound of my knee particularly going up and down stairs creeps me out. There is obviously bare bone on bare bone. My with thinks walking more will fix it. How, if there is no longer softer tissue remaining?

I'd be most appreciative of others who have faced this procedure without opioids sharing their story with me.

Anyone use medical marijuana? Did it help you through the rehab to the very end?
In Illinois we now have medical marijuana available, but I understand it is difficult to qualify.

All comments and suggestions welcome. I can't go much longer with this knee.

Bill, I am completely empathetic w your predicament-more so than I can say.

For myself, I am texting my mother in law every time I take the pain meds.

I must say that it's all about motive.

I agree that a Pain Mgmt doc would be an excellent choice for you. And, the ortho will be glad to have that monkey of her/his back.

Given the crisis in opiate deaths in the US currently, there is a national database that allows physicians.....oops "providers" to see all Scheduled meds filled by any particular person.

There is a lot of evidence-good evidence, and not 'new'-that verifies that when you wait too long to take the meds, the nervous system get sensitized to the pain stimulus (more problems), and the person begins to display certain behaviors just to get well-deserved pain meds (another problem).

Plus, I can tell you that despite my reluctance to take the meds, my recovery has seemed to go a little faster since I am not limping around all the time, moaning and groaning (ie, am doing more, thus better recovery).

So, if you have one in your area-get a Pain Mgmt consultant. This is the exact scenario these fine folks trained for. Use them. Everyone involved in your care will appreciate it. Then, don't fret over it. Just check your motive, and be a patient.

David Ragan
09-01-2017, 1:47 PM
Hi David..good luck on your re-hab, of course. I had my left knee done on Apr 10, and my right knee on Jul 17. Yes, both this year.:eek: While it is not the easiest thing I have ever done, it is not impossible. Re-hab is your friend. The more diligent you are, results come faster. BUT, don't overdo it either. This takes time. I do therapy twice weekly, and it really does help, greatly. I also have a shop in the basement. I use trips up and down the stairs as extra therapy. I just finished nailing..yes, nailed..a birdhouse together. A simple project for sure, but satisfying. A sideboard is next. RE.the pain meds..TAKE THEM..if you do not feel as good as you can, you may slack off on therapy. I know..cause it hurts. It will get better. bill

I have accidentally flexed my knee a couple of times more than I normally would (I never knew getting up/down from commode would be an issue), and it hurt like crazy at the time, now, a few days later, I can go down stairs somewhat normally. Excellent.

I start outpatient PT next week.

Yes, I'm down in my shop today a little w my Jobst stocking on. Cleaning up mostly. Still dreaming about doing some real WW before long.

Bill Jobe
09-02-2017, 3:03 AM
I was sent to a pain management clinic about 15 years ago. I had asked my doctor for hydrocodone for damage to my neck from a rear end collision over 40 years ago. No deal, he told me, and sent me to the clinic. I thought "Oh Boy. NSAIDs 'aplenty!

But they put me on amitriptyline and after about 4 or 5 weeks a pain on the side of my face and neck that was often debilitating was gone. I had suffered 20some years needlessly.

But that drug only works on what they referred to as systemic pain. Probably won't do anything for knee surgery.

By the way, I had someone very close to me die from long-term use of maximum doses of hydrocodone and an anti-psycotic (sp?).

David, are you saying you have an addiction problem but are able to control your use of hydrocodone?
For me any of that stuff is like getting hit broadside by a train. Don't matter how many cars it has, it's that first one, if you understand what i'm trying to tell you.
I just can't see myself controlling its use.

As it is right now, I have been wearing a brace 24/7 and my knee is pretty much pain free. But that bone on bone....gives me the creeps.

Jim Becker
09-02-2017, 9:24 AM
I'm one of those folks that cannot tolerate the "good drugs"...for my recent wrist surgery, I only used them for one day post-surgery and then switched 100% to ibuprofen alternated with acetaminophen. Why? The "good drugs" have some side effects I don't prefer. While constipation is the most well known, I'm one of a small percentage of folks who get constant hiccups from drugs like Percocet, etc...and that's MADDENING! That one day post-surgery, I had the hiccups from 5am through midnight, non-stop. Nope...I'll deal with the pain in another way, thank you very much! That said...I do believe there's value in mitigating post-surgical or chronic pain in whatever way works best for the individual and folks should accept what's best for them.

Bill Jobe
09-02-2017, 10:19 AM
For hiccups eat a spoon full of sugar.

Codeine is the only narcotic that constipates me.

For some reason hydrocodone works better for me than percoset. They always give me (what they consider stronger) Percocet at first, then put me on hydrocodone, supposedly not as powerful. They work just the opposite on me.
I had both rotator cuffs done, appendix and tonsil, one right after the other. The tonsil scared me because my doctor told me he was almost certain it was a fast growing throat cancer that has about a 5 percent survival rate. That was long 2 weeks waiting on the biopsy !!!
It was an infected tonsil.
The appendix almost took me out. The surgeon told me he almost lost me. I had gangrene.

David Ragan
09-02-2017, 11:22 AM
David, are you saying you have an addiction problem but are able to control your use of hydrocodone?

Bill, to be clear: No-I have no illusion of "controlled ______ use". That simply does not work for me.

It sounds like you have had a reasonably positive experience w Pain Mgmt before.

Brace? Man, if I could still be pain free w a brace (I coupled the brace w TENS unit, and Thermacare heat packs all @ the same time), I would not have had the surgery.

Fortunately, I did not wait until there was structural joint deformity-which makes an optimal outcome more difficult.

Bill-I wish you the very best, and have tried to be helpful; however, I am not keen on going down this particular road further.

See an orthopaedic surgeon that you trust, and let them give you your options. :)

I'm one of those folks that cannot tolerate the "good drugs"...for my recent wrist surgery, I only used them for one day post-surgery and then switched 100% to ibuprofen alternated with acetaminophen. Why? The "good drugs" have some side effects I don't prefer. While constipation is the most well known, I'm one of a small percentage of folks who get constant hiccups from drugs like Percocet, etc...and that's MADDENING! That one day post-surgery, I had the hiccups from 5am through midnight, non-stop. Nope...I'll deal with the pain in another way, thank you very much! That said...I do believe there's value in mitigating post-surgical or chronic pain in whatever way works best for the individual and folks should accept what's best for them.

This is great information for many reasons. Thanks, Jim

Bill Jobe
09-02-2017, 12:40 PM
David, I apologise if it seems I hyjacked your thread. You as well as other posters have been very helpful.

I guess I see my doctor next Friday. I had 3 weeks from Friday in my calendar but they called me about getting blood drawn yesterday and that usually preceeds an office visit by a week.
I'm still recouperating from serious anemia. Found out today they have only been measuring the amount of iron in my body, not where and what form it's in. They're just throwing mega-doses of iron at the problem and I'm not improving.
I had to take a proactive stance since they've dropped the ball twice already when a simple blood test would have sufficed. Instead I got a full GI scope including the camera you swallow, a heart stress test and twice they ran the camera up through my heart and main arteries.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did all that, but why no full iron panel? Got it yesterday at my request. Should have results Tuesday.

Again, thank you all for the support and advice.
David, careful with that new knee. And I hope you the very best and you're able to control the pain.

David Ragan
09-02-2017, 1:09 PM
David, I apologise if it seems I hyjacked your thread. You as well as other posters have been very helpful.

I guess I see my doctor next Friday. I had 3 weeks from Friday in my calendar but they called me about getting blood drawn yesterday and that usually preceeds an office visit by a week.
I'm still recouperating from serious anemia. Found out today they have only been measuring the amount of iron in my body, not where and what form it's in. They're just throwing mega-doses of iron at the problem and I'm not improving.
I had to take a proactive stance since they've dropped the ball twice already when a simple blood test would have sufficed. Instead I got a full GI scope including the camera you swallow, a heart stress test and twice they ran the camera up through my heart and main arteries.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did all that, but why no full iron panel? Got it yesterday at my request. Should have results Tuesday.

Again, thank you all for the support and advice.
David, careful with that new knee. And I hope you the very best and you're able to control the pain.

Good wishes all around Bill.

But, dang, I noticed that was post # 666 w you.:eek:

Bill Jobe
09-02-2017, 2:12 PM
That's ok. Jesus has me covered.:)
Besides I'm on 667 now.

bill kaminski
09-09-2017, 8:24 PM
I have accidentally flexed my knee a couple of times more than I normally would (I never knew getting up/down from commode would be an issue), and it hurt like crazy at the time, now, a few days later, I can go down stairs somewhat normally. Excellent.

I start outpatient PT next week.

Yes, I'm down in my shop today a little w my Jobst stocking on. Cleaning up mostly. Still dreaming about doing some real WW before long.

Way glad you are getting better, and I hear you about the commode!! Sort of the way I approach this re-hab..goals such as the commode thing. Sunday past, I lost my BIL, and now am charged with make a box for his ashes. Shop time is now somewhat urgent. I am improving, and you will too.This past 7-10 days have seen a marked improvement. Keep at it. bill

David Ragan
09-11-2017, 9:11 AM
Way glad you are getting better, and I hear you about the commode!! Sort of the way I approach this re-hab..goals such as the commode thing. Sunday past, I lost my BIL, and now am charged with make a box for his ashes. Shop time is now somewhat urgent. I am improving, and you will too.This past 7-10 days have seen a marked improvement. Keep at it. bill

Thanks, Bill

Sorry about your BIL....I did my most inspired work making an urn for our little cat-an entirely different situation, but I did love that little cat.

Brad Barnhart
09-13-2017, 12:48 AM
My mother just had her right knee done the end of July, & healing has been a slow process for her.
Kind of off the subject a little, but, I drove OTR 35 years. In 2009, I came in off the road w/flu like symptoms. Body aches, head ache, etc. but the pain was gettin' worse all the time. When I parked the truck in our yard in hoxie, Ks., & the mechanic & the owner of the truck seen the shape I was in, they got my clothes bag & paper work out of the truck for me, got me in my pick up, & headed me home. Normally it's about an hour & 15 minute drive home. It took me over 3 hours bcause of the pain & bein' sleepy. my bride had the law lookin' for me, the boss had the law lookin' for me. When I finally got here to the house, I didn't know my wife, our dogs, nothin'! The last thing I remembered was parkin' my truck in the yard, talkin' to the boss. I kept askin' my wife what she done with my truck. I couldn't see the runnin' lights, or hear it runnin'. Couldn't smell diesel smoke from it or the reefer cyclin' on the trailer! I was lost! My wife took me to the ER, & by that time I was nearly unconscious. They toted me into the ER, run my vitals, & the Sawbones on duty decided to do epidurals in my back for pain, instead of IV. She stuck me 4x & missed everytime. So she ended up w/IV & morphine in my left arm. The testing began. They tested me for everything they could think of. It finally came back I had viral meningitis. I laid in that hospital for 8 months. Lost the use of both legs, & partial use of my left arm. With tons of therapy, I had to learn to walk again, & build the strength in my left arm.

This lead to two major back surgeries, about a year of therapy, & the news of 3 more back surgeries to go. I spent a lot of time healin', & tryin' to walk & move on my own. Big mistake. I'm able to walk & get around on my own now, but have severe limitations. No longer able to work, so I spend my time in the wood shop til the pain gets to me.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but the point I'm tryin' to make is, let your body do it's work during your healing process. You'll heal faster, & more efficiently. Mind what your Sawbones says, & heed every word. They've got the education. My apologies for the length. Get back on your feet soon!

David Ragan
09-13-2017, 1:25 PM
My mother just had her right knee done the end of July, & healing has been a slow process for her.
Kind of off the subject a little, but, I drove OTR 35 years. In 2009, I came in off the road w/flu like symptoms. Body aches, head ache, etc. but the pain was gettin' worse all the time. When I parked the truck in our yard in hoxie, Ks., & the mechanic & the owner of the truck seen the shape I was in, they got my clothes bag & paper work out of the truck for me, got me in my pick up, & headed me home. Normally it's about an hour & 15 minute drive home. It took me over 3 hours bcause of the pain & bein' sleepy. my bride had the law lookin' for me, the boss had the law lookin' for me. When I finally got here to the house, I didn't know my wife, our dogs, nothin'! The last thing I remembered was parkin' my truck in the yard, talkin' to the boss. I kept askin' my wife what she done with my truck. I couldn't see the runnin' lights, or hear it runnin'. Couldn't smell diesel smoke from it or the reefer cyclin' on the trailer! I was lost! My wife took me to the ER, & by that time I was nearly unconscious. They toted me into the ER, run my vitals, & the Sawbones on duty decided to do epidurals in my back for pain, instead of IV. She stuck me 4x & missed everytime. So she ended up w/IV & morphine in my left arm. The testing began. They tested me for everything they could think of. It finally came back I had viral meningitis. I laid in that hospital for 8 months. Lost the use of both legs, & partial use of my left arm. With tons of therapy, I had to learn to walk again, & build the strength in my left arm.

This lead to two major back surgeries, about a year of therapy, & the news of 3 more back surgeries to go. I spent a lot of time healin', & tryin' to walk & move on my own. Big mistake. I'm able to walk & get around on my own now, but have severe limitations. No longer able to work, so I spend my time in the wood shop til the pain gets to me.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but the point I'm tryin' to make is, let your body do it's work during your healing process. You'll heal faster, & more efficiently. Mind what your Sawbones says, & heed every word. They've got the education. My apologies for the length. Get back on your feet soon!

Dang, Brad-what an ordeal!

Fortunately, such a tragedy has never been visited upon me.

As far as my knee goes, I started my regular home program in earnest yesterday. Takes 55 minutes in our bonus room. Along w the PT's regimen, I do the exercise bike; started w 6 minutes, and add a minute every day.

My flexion is good.

The PT that I have is very good. I mean she is great.

Maria (PT) and I started about a year ago-before surgery, trying to get through this w/o procedure.

I told her then---I am not going to be the guy that, when I leave, you all laugh and say "Can you believe he came here (to Physical Therapy) to do stuff that he coulda done @ home?!"

So, when I show up, have already done all the stretching, exercising, rolling, etc....So, then, we get into the advanced stuff. Including the soft tissue massage--man, that feels sooo good.

All is well; supposed to resume my role in Society Oct 2 (my job).

Currently am doing some carving, and looking over a buncha jigs trying to decide on one to make.

Roger Feeley
09-14-2017, 4:27 PM
Hi David,

How was your range of motion before surgery and how is it now?

0 degrees is straight (most people can go slightly negative but 0 is the target)
90 degrees is a right angle (just being thorough)
120 degrees is what you need to rise from a dining chair without pushing off

It's unlikely that you will ever be able to squat again.

I had my knee replaced and I have a LOT of experience with rehabbing range of motion, both flexion and extension. I went through about 3 years of PT to get full range back.

Roger Feeley
09-14-2017, 4:30 PM
Time is still on your side but less so that it would have been 20 years ago.

The good thing about waiting is that, as you age, you lose the ability to feel pain. That's why replacement surgery goes easier on older patients. You are entering that sweet spot.

But don't wait too long. Make sure that YOU choose the time for the surgery so that it best fits your life. Don't let the knee choose it. In my case, I put it off and the knee locked up one day and that was it. Had a replacement not been available, I would have accepted amputation. The pain was that bad.

I forgot to mention that I would do the replacement again in a heartbeat.

Brad Barnhart
09-15-2017, 1:14 AM
yes Mr. Dave, to say the least, it was an ordeal. The amount of pain drugs bein' pumped into me on a daily basis then, the daily epidurals, not to mention the oral narcotics for pain were unreal. My body is paying for it now. Since the meningitis, I'm not able to handle the heat, don't do well in the cold. My taste buds have changed. Physical limitations are extremely less than what they used to be. The list goes on. And after the two back surgeries, I'm not able to sit for very long, my legs give me more issues, but I learn to do deal with it for the most part. There ain't much they can do for me. At this point, I'm living w/out pain meds unless things get out of hand. Like I said, my wood shop keeps my mind & hands busy, & gives me new challenges with each project. I've met several people here online that help me a lot, too. Thank you for your kick back. keep in touch. I have a fb page Sawdust Haven that has our projects on it. Have a look see & let me know what ya think. Have a fine evening. Brad.

David Ragan
09-15-2017, 1:25 PM
Hi David,

How was your range of motion before surgery and how is it now?

0 degrees is straight (most people can go slightly negative but 0 is the target)
90 degrees is a right angle (just being thorough)
120 degrees is what you need to rise from a dining chair without pushing off

It's unlikely that you will ever be able to squat again.

I have, on a good day, now ~115* flexion, full extension.

I am going to be able to squat-you can count on that.

My surgeon is/was excellent, and I have the Conformis implant-customized according to a CT of my knee; I have already been through thick and thin trying to PT my way out of this to avoid surgery. I am fully confident of a bright future of pushing planes around, standing @ my sharpening station, and yes, squatting....w/o crying the blues about knee pain.

Time is still on your side but less so that it would have been 20 years ago.

The good thing about waiting is that, as you age, you lose the ability to feel pain. That's why replacement surgery goes easier on older patients. You are entering that sweet spot.

But don't wait too long. Make sure that YOU choose the time for the surgery so that it best fits your life. Don't let the knee choose it. In my case, I put it off and the knee locked up one day and that was it. Had a replacement not been available, I would have accepted amputation. The pain was that bad.

I forgot to mention that I would do the replacement again in a heartbeat.

Yes, it was rough. No anatomic deformity, though.