PDA

View Full Version : Poplar Vase

John Hart
10-29-2005, 5:04 PM
I don't know if any of you remember way back when I decided to turn a giant hunk of tree...I can't find the thread....but it really treated me poorly. After all the broken tools and warping, tear-out and bad finish....I must admit defeat. Nevertheless, I am posting it's completion. Today, I decided that I am through with this thing. Parting is such sweet sorrow:D

It's spalted Poplar burl....11" Diameter, 9" High, Finished with BLO and Lacquer. It's got great colors but I hate it.:)

Chris Barton
10-29-2005, 5:09 PM
Now that I can see the pictures it looks great!

Dick Parr
10-29-2005, 5:18 PM
Very nice, it doesn't look very hard John.:D ;)

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2005, 5:29 PM
Well, I'm willing to "take one for the team": send it to me and I'll keep it out here on the west coast so you won't have to look at it any more, dredging up all those bad memories.:D

Michael Stafford
10-29-2005, 6:24 PM
What seems to be the problem here? I may need my prescription changed and I don't wear glasses but in these pictures I see nothing but a nicely turned and finished bowl!!!! Looks good to me!:D

Andy Hoyt
10-29-2005, 6:27 PM
Yup. I like this one too. UPS to to Benton Falls is cheaper than UPS to Anaheim. I'll keep an eye out for brown.

John Miliunas
10-29-2005, 6:36 PM
Andy, Lee...Forget it. I think I'm closer than either of you! Heck, I"ll even pick up the shipping.:D I can't quite figure out exactly what you don't like about it, John but, I think it's neat! Nice job!:) :cool:

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2005, 6:42 PM
UPS to to Benton Falls is cheaper than UPS to Anaheim. I'll keep an eye out for brown.Pffft. I don't know if UPS can even find Benton Falls.:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
10-29-2005, 6:49 PM
Pffft. I don't know if UPS can even find Benton Falls.:rolleyes:

They seem to find it just fine, especially now that TOL has discovered online spending.

Our sister city is Smackdab, Missouri

Loy Hawes
10-29-2005, 7:13 PM
I don't care what everyone else says John. If you aren't happy with it then Burn it!!! Build a little sacrificial alter,douse it in diesel, and let the matches fly! You will feel much better. Just remember to take pics. :D

Seriously, I think it looks nice. Every time I have a bad piece it makes the next one that goes smooth that much sweeter.

Randy Moore
10-29-2005, 7:22 PM
Smackdab Missouri????????:eek:

I will take the piece here in Olathe Kansas and will pay shipping. I would set it where the LOML will see it and maybe she will decide to let me get a lathe.:D

You turning looks good, sure glad it didn't it getting tossed in the fire.:)

Randy

Corey Hallagan
10-29-2005, 8:38 PM
Man, that is just so sweet John. Beautiful piece!

Corey

Mark Cothren
10-29-2005, 9:38 PM
Sorry you had a bad time with this, but like the others it looks just pretty dad-gum good to me!!! Your efforts were not in vain!

Nice piece of wood, too.

Thanks for the pictures!

John Hart
10-29-2005, 9:47 PM
Thanks everyone! It's not that I hate the bowl really.....No..I take that back....I really do hate it. I worked on it for 2 months and everything went wrong. (Murphy was in there somewhere) Anyway, I was about to cut it up in a bunch of pieces and ship it to you all :D , but then my neighbor came over and said she really liked it and will trade her Black Cherry tree for it!!! So tomorrow, I have to start hauling the whole tree over here. It includes a 3 foot diameter burl and then a stack of logs, all cut up nice and neat.

I think I like the bowl now!:) :) :)

Randy Moore
10-30-2005, 7:21 AM
John,

Very good trade you made. :cool: Want to see pics of the wood. Is it aready down?

Randy

John Hart
10-30-2005, 7:25 AM
John,

Very good trade you made. :cool: Want to see pics of the wood. Is it aready down?

Randy

Yup. They took it down last year and stacked everything out back. I just have to haul it. I hope that the bugs didn't get to it too bad....(Cherry is a tastey favorite)

Carole Valentine
10-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Looks great to me, John, but I sort of know how you feel. Some pieces are just not a pleasure to turn and you feel glad to finally be rid of them.:D
What a score on the Black Cherry...if it's anything like our wild Black Cherry we have down here, that stuff looks so darned beautiful when it's finished! The heartwood seems to get darker, richer red than other cherry.

John Hart
10-30-2005, 1:53 PM
Ok...I just spent the morning hauling wood to my house. We probably hauled about 1500-2000 pounds of cherry. One crotch piece was about 500 pounds and we had to cut it in half so we could manage it better. I'd say about half of the haul is only good for the fire and the other half is worth about a hundred bowls and vases. Woo Hoo!!! I'm going to go out there and cut off a chunk and turn something right now.

This is what I call a "Good Day";)

I put the chainsaw in there for scale...The large crotch is in the foreground.

John Miliunas
10-30-2005, 2:20 PM
Egads! That's one BIG tree!:eek: Yeah, I'd say you made a real fair trade! Looking forward to another work of art from your lathe!:) :cool:

Dick Strauss
10-30-2005, 6:40 PM
John,
I sure that you are busy sorting out your haul but let me know if you are interested in a wood swap. Cherry has always been one of my favorite woods.

I live outside of Toledo and might be willing to make a trip to Cleveland. I've got silver maple, locust, mtn ash, box elder, mulberry, and willow. After Tues my wood supply may change dramatically (after picking up my new lathe). Some of my willow and mulberry is still in log form roughly 30" in diameter and about 16-18" thick. Some of the mulberry is spalted.

I hope you find nice wood to show your fine talent and eye for form!

Dick

John Hart
10-30-2005, 7:20 PM
Perhaps that is possible Dick...'Course, I need to get my arms around exactly what I have first. I'll send you a PM. I sure would love to try some of the stuff you have. Thanks!!