PDA

View Full Version : Delta dj20 knives

Chris Daleo
08-26-2017, 4:27 PM
Hi all I just recently purchased a used delta dj20 8" jointer. I'm in the process of changing out the knives due to them being very worn out. The previous owner gave me a set of new knives with the machine but when I went to install them they were bigger than the ones in them. So I purchased a new set on amazon that were specific to the dj20. When I received them they were actually bigger than the other ones. So my question is did I get the wrong ones.

The knives i got got from the previous owner were c100 knives and when installed they stood up above the outfield table. And the new knives I purchased delta 37-355 knives stood up even higher than the previous ones. Am I to assume that I need to reset the outfeed table to accommodate the new knives or did I get the wrong ones.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. By the way this is my first jointer purchase and my experience on this is completely novice.

I have attempted to add to add a pic of my jointer, hopefully it showed up. Thanks

M Toupin
08-26-2017, 5:53 PM
Used equipment can be a great value. but the down slide is you never know the history. Do you know if the correct knives are in the machine? Its entirely possible the PO changed out the knives and put the wrong ones in there. Same with the extra set, without knowing exactly what's supposed to be in there you're relying on the PO knowing what they were doing. Sometimes yes, sometimes no... Download a manual (http://www.utpb.edu/docs/default-source/utpb-docs/artsci/art/delta-dj20-jointer-manual.pdf?sfvrsn=4)and check out this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnrWOwun68)to set up your knives. If you need new knives I'm partial to Woodworkers Tool Works (https://www.woodworkerstoolworks.com/). They are a small family owned business and the owner, who's very knowledgeable, even answers the phone. Both a huge plus in my book.

Mike

Bill Dufour
08-26-2017, 6:23 PM
Quite likely the PO has sharpened the previous knives. If so the he had to adjust the lifters in the cutterhead up so the new edges are the correct height. My guess is you have to lower the knife lifters all the way down to fit the new knives. As long as you have everything out I would remove as many parts in the head as you can and clean everything real good so they adjust smoothly. Maybe polish the screwheads if the bear on the knives to lock them down.
Bill D.

David Kumm
08-26-2017, 6:29 PM
I believe those knives are 1/8" thick and 13/16" deep ? Thickness is critical but depth is limited by how much adjustment is in the jack screws. the old knives may have been sharpened several times and the screws raised to accomodate. The back of the bevel of the knives should only slightly protrude the head diameter. How did you adjust the Look at some youtube on knife setting. Dave

Bruce Wrenn
08-27-2017, 9:53 PM
I believe those knives are 1/8" thick and 13/16" deep ? Thickness is critical but depth is limited by how much adjustment is in the jack screws. the old knives may have been sharpened several times and the screws raised to accomodate. The back of the bevel of the knives should only slightly protrude the head diameter. How did you adjust the Look at some youtube on knife setting. DaveExactly right on size, as per Global Tooling's web site 8 1/16 X 13/16 x 1/8. Set of three - $20.45 plus shipping.

Nelson Howe
08-28-2017, 7:48 AM
Chris, be sure to follow the instructions in the manual for the knife installation. You will have to reset the outfeed table afterwards to eliminate snipe. There are probably plenty of youtube videos on how to do this. There are also lots of purchased or shop made jigs to be used in setting the knife height, which has to be exactly the same for all three knives. Take the time to get the outfeed table right when you're done, and you'll have a nice jointer.

Nelson