PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a quality wrinkle black for metal

Malcolm Schweizer
08-26-2017, 9:53 AM
I want a high quality and durable wrinkle black finish for a project. Anyone have a good experience with readily available wrinkle black? I want something professional looking, but I don't want to have to send the parts to a powder coater.

Wayne Lomman
08-27-2017, 9:34 AM
In the absence of any other comments, talk to a paint rep you know reasonably well and ask them for a recommendation. Your existing relationship makes it more likely you will get reasonable advice. I can't recommend a brand as the products I have available ate fifteenth to what is available in your market. Have you priced the powder coat? It's probably quite reasonable, especially since you want black. Cheers

Malcolm Schweizer
08-29-2017, 3:48 AM
In the absence of any other comments, talk to a paint rep you know reasonably well and ask them for a recommendation. Your existing relationship makes it more likely you will get reasonable advice. I can't recommend a brand as the products I have available ate fifteenth to what is available in your market. Have you priced the powder coat? It's probably quite reasonable, especially since you want black. Cheers

It isn't just the cost of powder coating- it's the cost of sending it there and back. Also with powder coating I have to completely disassemble everything. Spraying a finish I can mask off areas where I don't want paint.

I'm afraid powder coating is probably the only really durable way to do it. I may need to choose another finish.

Wayne Lomman
08-29-2017, 3:57 PM
Would hammer finish do the job? Most industrial ranges include a hammer finish enamel product that is durable and easy application. Cheers

Keith Outten
08-29-2017, 11:19 PM
Wayne,

There is a rattle can product that is exactly what your looking for, I found some at Home Depot a few years ago for a sign I was making for a large General Contractor. Sorry but I can't remember the brand name but the paint was tough as nails and it was very difficult to even power sand the excess off the top surface of the sign. I have never seen a spray product as tough as this stuff was and it looked great. I do know that it wasn't Rustoleum.