PDA

View Full Version : Saw Rescue today

steven c newman
08-25-2017, 9:35 PM
Picked a saw at a garage sale today....price on tag said $2...paid $1.50....saw has some issues, besides being......painted.:mad:
This side, they regarded as the back of the "painting" 26" long, 8 ppi skew back. Three bolts of brass...nothing special?
Flip the saw over...disregard the painted stuff..
A medallion on this side? handle is an open top one. Feels a bit like an Atkins in the hand. Three finger grip, too..
Pheonix/ Warranted, with a "bird" and a few other markings I haven't been able to read, yet.
Wasn't any number stamped as to ppi..
Nor am I sure which side an etch ( if any) will be on.

Any ideas what I have here....will get the paint stripped off as soon as I can......

steven c newman
08-26-2017, 10:32 AM
While I am pretty sure this was made by Atkins....not sure of the reason they installed the medallion on that side of the handle. No sign that it was ever on the "correct" side, either. It has been "let in" to the wood of the handle. Will try to take the saw apart later,,,see if there are any other markings....60 grit paper to remove paint....

Pat Barry
08-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Left handed saw has medallion on opposite side. :)

Stew Denton
08-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Hi Steven,

If the medallion is on the wrong side I wonder if there is a chance that the etch is also on the wrong side.

It looks like the saw has a pretty good potential to me. I like the condition of the handle, but can't tell much about corrosion on the unpainted side. It looks like it could have some minor pitting and has a lot of patina, but can't tell for sure. Keep us in the loop, and it looks like you could end up with a pretty good the saw.

Stew

steven c newman
08-26-2017, 12:45 PM
Handle is off..
And the other side..
Left-handed saw?
Saw plate has been redrilled..more than once?
Medallion..
Phoenix
Patented
Trade ( bird ) Mark
Warranted

Plate has been stripped of all the paint....IF there was any etch.....pitting took it's place

Plate has been straightened....needs the teeth sharpened up. Plate has been given a light rub down with 3in1 oil, to keep the rust bunnies away.

Will get a few "After" pictures, later today

steven c newman
08-26-2017, 5:37 PM
Took it out side into the sunlight...
Medallion side...
I clocked the screw slots...
Still need to sharpen it up....