PDA

View Full Version : Simple and effective band saw sled for short logs

Noah Magnuson
08-25-2017, 3:05 PM
So I have had a handful of short "logs" waiting to get milled with my 17" Grizzly, and I finally got around to making a sled. I grab these whenever somebody takes down a good tree and I happen to be driving by. I hadn't seen this method used to secure the logs to the sled, so I thought I would throw it out there. It worked fantastic even on a 36" x 14" round and the strap makes it very easily adjustable and very secure.

It is pretty self explanatory, and I can't say I would change much. I made this one 4' and the base 8" wide.
Here it is with a short piece of birch.
Watch your straps ;)

A couple of 8/4 pieces of sweet gum. Nice and straight.

Bob Bouis
08-27-2017, 10:41 AM
I'd be worried about those dinky little d-rings breaking in the middle of the cut.

Seriously, though, if it works -- great. I hate mine, so I might try it!

Noah Magnuson
08-27-2017, 3:14 PM
I'd be worried about those dinky little d-rings breaking in the middle of the cut.

Seriously, though, if it works -- great. I hate mine, so I might try it!

Lol. The 1/2" D-rings were $16 for 4 on amazon. The smaller ones were a bit more for some reason. I realize the overkill, but I also got 3000 lb straps (I hate crummy ratchet ties). I think the only thing I would change is running the 2x backer the full length. I was trying to save weight and cut this one shorter, but you get a little flex at the ends if you really crank it.

AL Ursich
09-05-2017, 4:27 PM
The excess strap scares me... A lot of bad can happen in moments...

Stay safe :)

Noah Magnuson
09-07-2017, 8:27 PM
The excess strap scares me... A lot of bad can happen in moments...

Stay safe :)
Yeah, I need to figure out how much is the right amount for a maximum sized log and trim it. For now, it is pretty easy to just keep it on the far side. If you can't manage that, you need to stay of the shop IMO. I am pretty over-cautious about snaggy things, so it is the first thing I check each pass. In this case though, I think all you would see is a broken blade and a snarl of strap. There isn't enough torque to flip the loaded sled.