PDA

View Full Version : Universal V460 Laser producing low power

Alden Foy
08-25-2017, 9:33 AM
Looking for any additional ideas on troubleshooting my problem. I have a ULS V460 that has a 30W laser tube newly recharge that is producing low power (about 50% of setting).
I've replaced mirrors and lens. Alignment has been checked and rechecked. I also have a ULS M300 that has a 30W also and I've swapped laser tubes and the problem stays
with the V460. Took the CPU out of the V460 and sent it off to ESS and they voltage checked it and states that everything is fine. I've check the voltage going into the
laser tube and that also measures as it should. My next option is to sent the CPU to Universal and just have them completely go thru it for $250 but wanted to see if there
are any other ideas before I spend the money. In the attached pic, the top one is from the V460 and the bottom one is the M300, but using the same settings. To get the
V460 to look like the M300 I have to double the power settings. Thanks

Mike Null
08-25-2017, 10:40 AM
Alden

Welcome to SMC. Have you contacted Universal tech support? Who is ESS?

Kev Williams
08-25-2017, 10:58 AM
50% power in an RF machine usually points to a bad RF capacitor. My BIL has an LS800 Gravograph 40w laser similar to mine, just smaller- It's been running at 50% power for going on 3 years now due to a bad capacitor. But I think(?) the capacitors are part of the tube assy? If so, changing tubes and still having half power rules out a bad cap... However, it doesn't rule out a bad outside connection TO the capacitors.

The only other option I can think of is something bad in the optic train...

Alden Foy
08-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Alden

Welcome to SMC. Have you contacted Universal tech support? Who is ESS?

Yes on contracting Universal, tried everything they suggested other than sending the CPU to them. ESS has been a vendor for ULS for years and
is the first line of tech support. Everyone I've talked to is at a loss

Mike Null
08-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Did you try the newly charged tube in the M300?

I wouldn't rule out the new tube as being the culprit although I may well be the only one who suspects it.

Alden Foy
08-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Did you try the newly charged tube in the M300?

I wouldn't rule out the new tube as being the culprit although I may well be the only one who suspects it.

Yes, I did. Both my tubes are newly charged and no matter which tube I use in the V460 I get the same problem
and when I both the tubes in the M300 they work perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion

Bill George
08-25-2017, 1:19 PM
Heck, if you can get the power supply board out just look for swollen or blown up capacitors. Any good electronics person can R&R those for you. I have fixed several large screen Samsung TV's by either fixing the CB's or replacing.

Alden Foy
08-25-2017, 3:11 PM
Heck, if you can get the power supply board out just look for swollen or blown up capacitors. Any good electronics person can R&R those for you. I have fixed several large screen Samsung TV's by either fixing the CB's or replacing.

Thanks, I will give that a try