PDA

View Full Version : Table tops for TV Tables

Philip Fiorio
08-24-2017, 5:52 PM
Hello again. I hope you don't mind me making a bunch of posts of my first projects over the course of a few months.

After making a few cutting boards, I decided to build table tops for our TV Tables that we use all the time.

The first one I asked my wife to pick out and arrange the wood for. This was before I had a saw so we got 1X2's from Home Depot and I butt-jointed them all together. This is finished with poly.

The second one I designed using walnut, padauk, and my favorite–ambrosia maple. I love the way ambrosia maple looks! This is finished with BLO and shellac.

After the first table, I attempted to make the legs out of mahogany, but failed to make it well due to not having the skills and a drill press. Perhaps one of these days, I'll finish the rest of the legs but for now, I'll just use the ones that came with it.

What do you think?

Is there any suggestions or things you would have done differently?

Next post will be my favorite so far–a step stool for my wife and daughter.

Thanks!

Bruce Page
08-24-2017, 9:04 PM
Looks good! The legs tell me you have the same TV trays we have. If so, I think you made a big improvement changing out the tops.
Is the small step below the edge radius intentional? It would look better without it, IMO.

Ps., welcome to the Creek!

Mark Stutz
08-25-2017, 2:34 PM
Very nice! I love the ambrosia maple.

You are proving that one doesn't need a lot of tools to do good work. As your projects get more complicated tools will come that let you do things better or safer. And keep an eye on Craig's list for that DP. You never know what might be just down the street.