PDA

View Full Version : GRR-Ripper Push Block

David Justice
08-24-2017, 10:37 AM
So, I finally bought one of these. Does it freak anyone else out that your fingers pass right over the blade on every cut? It's so engrained in me to keep my fingers far from the blade that I just can't get used to this push block. I realize that there is something between me and the blade, but that plastic isn't going to stop a blade if I somehow leave the blade set too high.

Just curious if anyone else had this thought?

mike holden
08-24-2017, 2:14 PM
Yeah, it's scary at first. But then I had been using a handle on a 2X4 sacrificial block with handle, and had the blade running thru it. Like most things, evaluate the risks and decide if YOU want to do it.
BTW, if you want to sell your gripper.....(grin)
Mike

John Jenkins4
08-24-2017, 3:50 PM
I've grown to really like the Gripper. I especially like the control at the end of the cut as both pieces disengage the blade.

Bruce Page
08-24-2017, 4:12 PM
It felt uneasy at first.
I have 2 of them. IMHO, it’s the safest way to cut small pieces. Think each cut through and make sure not to set the blade higher than needed.

glenn bradley
08-24-2017, 4:17 PM
Similar to any non-through cut on various machines, you sometimes run the push block over the cutter. The Grr-Ripper is a bit different in that it is designed to straddle the blade and ride over it with you hanging on. Like Mike and John I am a fan and have a couple of them with various doo-hickys that I use with them. The control of both parts as you pass and after you pass the blade is a big plus for me over other pushing devices. Also great for thin or small parts.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-24-2017, 11:21 PM
I have had my Grrippers save me from 3 serious (potentially) injuries. I LOVE them. As mentioned, scary at first, but the ONLY way to safely rip small stuff in my opinion. Buy one for your other hand.

Darcy Warner
08-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Have one for each TS, a pair of the pads on each jointer and a set for the bandsaw. One of the best accessories I have bought.

Randy Heinemann
08-24-2017, 11:57 PM
For me it was just the opposite. I felt much safer from the day I started using them on the table saw. I also started using the on other tools, like my router table (for some types of jobs), and the jointer. I've owned one almost since they first appeared and then bought another later.

Earl Rumans
08-25-2017, 12:11 AM
I love mine and couldn't imagine working without them again. I never had an unsafe feeling when first using them, I guess it just felt better knowing I was in control during the entire cut.

Nick Decker
08-25-2017, 6:11 AM
Love 'em. I've just gotten in the habit of always leaning down and sighting through the "tunnel" before cutting.

George Bokros
08-25-2017, 7:04 AM
Similar to any non-through cut on various machines, you sometimes run the push block over the cutter. The Grr-Ripper is a bit different in that it is designed to straddle the blade and ride over it with you hanging on. Like Mike and John I am a fan and have a couple of them with various doo-hickys that I use with them. The control of both parts as you pass and after you pass the blade is a big plus for me over other pushing devices. Also great for thin or small parts.

Glen, what is the piece of plywood on the bottom in the one picture.

I have Gripper's and really like them. They also have so great ones for use on the jointer and any place you are not making through cuts.

Robert Parent
08-25-2017, 7:44 AM
I think they are the best safety tool following safety glasses.....

Robert

Frankie Hunt
08-25-2017, 9:11 AM
I really like them for smaller part cuts.

Have 2 Micro Jig GRR-Rippers for the table saw and 2 GRR-Rip Block Smart Hooks for the Jointer.

Great investment!

Kevin McCluney
08-25-2017, 9:33 AM
I bought one at a woodworking show, then quickly realized two would be better, so I bought a second one. There are cuts I can safely do on the table saw with the GRR-Rippers I wouldn't have even considered attempting before I got them.

glenn bradley
08-25-2017, 9:50 AM
Glen, what is the piece of plywood on the bottom in the one picture.

I have Gripper's and really like them. They also have so great ones for use on the jointer and any place you are not making through cuts.

That is the small piece of stock that I'm routing. It is captured under the large shoe with the tail hook the pad of the gripper and the fence. Great control.

These devices definitely seem to have a love them or hate them response from people. I'm in the love them camp.

Doug Walls
08-25-2017, 10:00 AM
have a couple of them with various doo-hickys that I use with them.
Like Glenn, I also have two of them along with various attachments including the 1/8" legs that let me cut thin strips. I use them all the time with smaller pieces or cutting a lot of similar parts. If I'm only making one or two cuts it's usually easier to just use a regular wooden push stick, Verses changing the configuration of the GRR-Ripper each time.

I've also used them on my jointer, They seem to have a little better grip than the standard flat jointer style push blocks.

Doug

Charles Lent
08-25-2017, 10:01 AM
It took me a long time to accept the Grripper after I first bought one. I had followed my uncle's 6" rule about keeping my hands at least 6" away from spinney sharp things so long that putting my hand that close above the blade was not something that I could accept. It was over 6 months before I could use a Grripper with my hand holding onto the Grripper and passing it over the blade. I have now managed to modify the 6" safety rule, by adding " unless my hand is holding onto a work holding/pushing device that offers protection between my hand and the sharp spinney thing" . I now own three Grrippers, two for the table saw and one for the router table and use them more than any other type of stock pusher that I own. I never use "push sticks" and only use Grrippers or shop made pushers that hold down the stock as well as feed it.

Charley

Mike Heidrick
08-25-2017, 10:16 AM
ever since my sawstop brake save I have used my overblade guard WHENEVER I can. I will use a push stick on thin cuts with that guard.

When the cuts get thinner than that is possible then I use my gripper. I like the super thin end you can add.

I also use mine on router table and jointer. On the jointer I use some Jet foam bottom blocks too - They work great.

David Justice
08-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I think Nick might have the key for me. I think as long as I bend down and look through the tunnel on every cut to make sure my blade is low enough. My only real concern with the GRR-Ripper is that I will forget that the blade is set too high and my fingers get lopped off.

Doug Walls
08-25-2017, 12:19 PM
My only real concern with the GRR-Ripper is that I will forget that the blade is set too high and my fingers get lopped off. It really depends on type of blade I'm using & the materiel I'm cutting, But I've always made it a habit to adjust the blade to only about 1/4" or so above the wood.

Doug

David Kumm
08-25-2017, 12:19 PM
I run blades up to 18" in diameter. Setting the appropriate height should always be done before any cut. Dave

Bill Berklich
08-25-2017, 12:57 PM
I've avoided a gripper for similar reasons as the OP. After reading this I may give one a try.

Rod Sheridan
08-25-2017, 6:33 PM
So, I finally bought one of these. Does it freak anyone else out that your fingers pass right over the blade on every cut? It's so engrained in me to keep my fingers far from the blade that I just can't get used to this push block. I realize that there is something between me and the blade, but that plastic isn't going to stop a blade if I somehow leave the blade set too high.

Just curious if anyone else had this thought?

Absolutely it freaks me out. In a work environment it would be prohibited because the blade guard is removed.

There are far safer methods than the grippr..............Regards, Rod.

Charles Lent
08-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I think Nick might have the key for me. I think as long as I bend down and look through the tunnel on every cut to make sure my blade is low enough. My only real concern with the GRR-Ripper is that I will forget that the blade is set too high and my fingers get lopped off.

Micro Jig designed in a special safety feature into the Grripper for that (maybe on purpose or maybe not). When you cut into Grripper plastic your nose will tell you something is wrong and stop the cut. It's amazing how fast this aroma travels. Trust me, when it happens, you will immediately know something is wrong. You won't cut very far either, just a slightly misplaced Grripper foot will do it. It's a smell like no other.

Charley