PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane M2 Cyro tools

Guy Mueller
08-23-2017, 3:46 PM
Like to hear from turners that have bought these and what they think of them

Bob Bouis
08-23-2017, 4:54 PM
They look very similar to the other "cyro" tools made by Crown and sold under various names. I've never used one but I assume they're very good tools.

I think they're kind of oddly positioned in the market, though, as for a little more money you can get the CPM super steel tools.

Roger Chandler
08-23-2017, 5:03 PM
Crown makes these tools for several vendors. I have the Pinnacle 5/8" cryogenic gouge by them made for WoodCraft. It holds an edge about 2 to 3 times longer than regular HHS. Crown makes David Ellsworth's signature gouges, and some other notables......they are generally good tools/higher end stuff.

John Keeton
08-23-2017, 6:26 PM
M2 HSS is the lower grade of HSS. I think you would be better served with either M42 Cobalt or V10.

Reed Gray
08-23-2017, 9:47 PM
Like John said, M42 or V10. I was chatting with Dave Schweitzer of D Way Tools about metals a month or three ago, and his comments about the cryo work is that it does a little, but it depends more on the metal than the freezing work. The 'lasts 2,3,4,5 times longer' means that it can keep a working edge longer, but you still want a fresh edge for finish cuts. He's forgotten more about metal than I will ever learn, but then again, I just know how to grind it...

robo hippy

Mel Fulks
08-23-2017, 10:47 PM
M2 HSS is the lower grade of HSS. I think you would be better served with either M42 Cobalt or V10.
Not a turner. But I've ordered ,ground ,and used lots of high speed steel. M42 is a "higher grade" HSS. But I dare say that the biggest problem with M2 is that since there is a "semi high speed steel" of "same hardness" as M2 ....many times it is sold as M2. Unlike M2 it has little heat resistance and quickly degrades. It's a big problem that will eventually make a big law suit. Few years back I wrote to one of the big woodworking magazines about it . They made no reply.

John Keeton
08-24-2017, 6:16 AM
The three characteristics often discussed and considered regarding turning tools are hardness, toughness and wear resistance. Getting a good balance for all three is desirable, but some woods present different challenges for each characteristic. A good discussion can be found here - https://www.crucible.com/eselector/general/generalpart1.html.

Harold Balzonia
08-24-2017, 2:18 PM
The three characteristics often discussed and considered regarding turning tools are hardness, toughness and wear resistance. Getting a good balance for all three is desirable, but some woods present different challenges for each characteristic. A good discussion can be found here - https://www.crucible.com/eselector/general/generalpart1.html.

Thanks a lot for the link, John... now my brain hurts. I think I blew a synapse or something....