PDA

View Full Version : Glue for fresh pressure treat?

Wade Lippman
08-23-2017, 9:19 AM
I am making a raised bed garden with 2x12 pt. To keep everything in alignment while I screw them together, I want to throw some dominoes in; and I might as well glue them in. But what glue? The wood is still wet, but not sopping like some is.
Epoxy? Polyurethane?

Jim Becker
08-23-2017, 9:40 AM
Polyurethane would be a good choice since it's moisture-cured. If this raised bed is for food plants, you may want to carefully consider about using PT... ;)

Ted Calver
08-23-2017, 11:54 AM
I used PT 2x12's to make my raised beds. Was concerned about using PT for this purpose, so I used stainless steel staples to attach a layer of heavy duty pond liner to the side of the beds. I used Timberlock screws to hold everything together with 2x4's at the corners and spaced every few feet along the bed to anchor them in the soil. No glue involved so they can be taken apart if need be. Also added hardware cloth to the bottom to keep the dang moles out. It has worked!

http://www.finegardening.com/are-pressure-treated-woods-safe-garden-beds

Jamie Buxton
08-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Can anybody explain to me why raising the growing beds is a good thing? If you put the same dirt flush with the surrounding ground, don't you get the same effect, but without the expense of the wood? (..and the worry about chemicals in the pressure-treat..) What is the magic about raising the plants ten inches or so?

Ted Calver
08-23-2017, 2:51 PM
Can anybody explain to me why raising the growing beds is a good thing? If you put the same dirt flush with the surrounding ground, don't you get the same effect, but without the expense of the wood? (..and the worry about chemicals in the pressure-treat..) What is the magic about raising the plants ten inches or so?

Heavy clay soils is my reason. If you created a pit and filled it with good dirt it wouldn't drain worth a hoot.

Wade Lippman
08-23-2017, 4:04 PM
Heavy clay soils is my reason. If you created a pit and filled it with good dirt it wouldn't drain worth a hoot.

That, and its a better height for weeding and such.

I wasn't going to depend on the glue; just to keep everything together while I screwed it up.

Everything says that ACQ is harmless.

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2017, 4:15 PM

Like Ted, this is the same reason why I have raised beds, PLUS, I have a high water table in my back yard and most garden plants dislike constant wet feet. :)

Wayne Lomman
08-23-2017, 8:19 PM
Don't waste time and effort on gluing. Line it up and just drill and screw.

Your reason for raised beds is exactly right. I don't need them where we live now but my last place had about 2" of top soil and then clay.

I'm not one for pressure treated timber with food production. When we had the dairy, we had to eliminate all PT timber because the residues are detectable in milk. Cheers