PDA

View Full Version : Older Grizzly 6 x 48" stationary belt sander G1014Z help please

David Tolsky
08-22-2017, 7:06 PM
Hi guys, I haven't replaces a sanding belt on this machine in a while and I am having trouble tightening the new belt down. I thought most of it would come back to me but I'm still having trouble. I rely heavily on this machine to do all types of work so it's important for me to get it up and running again. Looking at the system though, I gotta believe that there's a better way to do this? Someone has got to have come up with a better and faster way to lock in new sanding belts without all the fine tuning it takes to keep the belt running straight? Anyway, I appreciate any help or advice I can get on this. I'm sure it's similar to most stationary belt sander systems out there...PS: tried calling Grizzly but just missed closing time and I'm trying to get some work done tonight. Thanks!

Larry Copas
08-22-2017, 8:04 PM
If a new belt is just a hair long my sander won't tension it properly. To adjust I shim the idle end. The idle end is loose in the holder so I stick a shim in there. Usually a finishing nail on each side works perfect. Than if I get a belt the exact right size or even a smudge shorter I pull the shims (finishing nails) out and tension normally.

I bought my sander years ago, new ones may have corrected the problem.

Steve Kohn
08-22-2017, 10:08 PM
You might want to try buying a different belt. I've gotten belts from the factory that simply won't stay running true. I replaced it and the problem went away.

glenn bradley
08-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Are you saying the method in the manual doesn't work or that you need the manual (http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g1014z_m.pdf)?

Ronald Blue
08-23-2017, 7:24 PM
If you look on page 50 of the operators manual it tells the procedure for adjusting sanding belt tension. If you don't have the manual go to Grizzly's web site and download it.