PDA

View Full Version : hampshire sheen

joe zarnitz
08-22-2017, 4:29 PM
can this be softened anyway----mine became hard and crusted over---tks,joe

Ted Baxter
08-22-2017, 6:25 PM
yes I melted mine and poured it into my wife's muffin tin about a 1/4" thick. Made nice silver dollar size pieces that I can press to the turning and then friction polish it works better than trying to get it on a paper towel and then applying it to the turning

David M Peters
08-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Joe if you know what solvent is used to soften the material then a bit of that will help re-soften it. According to its material safety data sheet (http://www.hampshiresheen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Hampshire-Sheen-MSDS.pdf) it looks to be mineral spirits (it's listed as White Spirit in the sheet).

Len Mullin
08-24-2017, 10:59 PM
Joe, did you call the manufacturer to see what could be used to soften it, is this a common occurance with Hampshire Sheen?
Len

Reed Gray
08-25-2017, 11:05 AM
I know there is a distributor here in the US, but don't know who. I did chat with the maker at the Symposium in KC. If nothing else, look up Mike Waldt in the UK, well Wales actually, he would respond quickly, and has a bunch of good videos out there...

robo hippy

Len Mullin
08-25-2017, 3:56 PM
Joe, you could contact Martin Sabin Smith what to do when it hardens. He is the one who is came up with the recipe for the stuff, and he has a You-Tube site that you could contact him through.
Len

Richard Madden
08-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Do a search for The Walnut Log located in Missouri. Jeff is the owner and distributor for Hampshire Sheen in the U.S.