PDA

View Full Version : Laser protection eye glasses are a must, but today they came in handy in another way.

John Kleiber
08-21-2017, 4:05 PM
Eye protect is a must in this business. Today they came in especially handy.

I attempted to photo the eclipse today despite the Houston cloudy sky. I got a small break in the cloud cover about 15 minutes prior to eclipse peak of 1:16 PM Central Time.
I used my iPhone 7+ with my laser eye protection glasses and positioned the glasses between the camera lens and the Sun.
Most of the images were out of focus or too brightly distorted, but this image turned out pretty good.

Bert Kemp
08-21-2017, 7:07 PM
nice shot were you able to look at the eclipse with those glasses?

Dave Sheldrake
08-21-2017, 8:27 PM

Not a good idea, LPG's only protect within a given wavelength spread, sunlight covers a huge spectrum

John Kleiber
08-22-2017, 8:37 AM
Not a good idea, LPG's only protect within a given wavelength spread, sunlight covers a huge spectrum

There's no way I could hold everything together and tap in 2 places to focus and take a picture at the same time.
So I mounted my iphone to a iphone clamp and the clamp to a bi-pod. Then I secured my glassed over the lens with a tie wrap.

Alignment was done through the iphone.

John Kleiber
08-22-2017, 8:56 AM

Everything was done through the iphone while filtered with the protective glasses.

John Lifer
08-22-2017, 6:13 PM
Dang good picture!