PDA

View Full Version : Face frame/doors thickness?

John Miliunas
06-23-2003, 8:46 PM
So I went and got a bunch of Oak for LOML's kitchen island project. Pretty good looking stuff, in general. After work today, I decided to see what it looks like all cleaned up. Not bad BUT, after jointing and planing, I'm shy of 3/4". It's sitting at about .712 on the digital calipers. I'll let it sit and aclimate for a few days, but if I end up having to touch it up on the planer again, I'll be getting close to 5/8", albeit a real strong 5/8". Is this acceptable for finish cabinetry? Just for the heck of it, I checked the thickness on our current kitchen cabinets (I forget the OEM, but they're pretty high end, I guess.) and they're closer to 5/8" than 3/4", as well. What say you, oh wise ones of the Creek? :cool:

Phil Phelps
06-23-2003, 9:09 PM
You can customize just about anything. Some Euro hinges may be close to bottoming out at 5/8". Be careful. Some rail and style sets, CMT, call for minimum 3/4" to 7/8" max. Just plan ahead now that it's 5/8".

John Miliunas
06-23-2003, 9:15 PM
You can customize just about anything. Some Euro hinges may be close to bottoming out at 5/8". Be careful. Some rail and style sets, CMT, call for minimum 3/4" to 7/8" max. Just plan ahead now that it's 5/8".

Thanks for the GREAT "heads up", Phil. I had planned on doing some test pieces out of Aspen, to be sure my rail & stile set would work OK, but I completely missed the hinge thing! Fact is, I *had* planned on using Euro-style hinges. May have to rethink that one! Any suggestions for a good, adjustable, non-Euro hinge? :cool:

Bobby Hatfield
06-23-2003, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the GREAT "heads up", Phil. I had planned on doing some test pieces out of Aspen, to be sure my rail & stile set would work OK, but I completely missed the hinge thing! Fact is, I *had* planned on using Euro-style hinges. May have to rethink that one! Any suggestions for a good, adjustable, non-Euro hinge? :cool:

John most euro hinge 35mm holes are less than 1/2" deep.

John Miliunas
06-24-2003, 9:38 PM
John most euro hinge 35mm holes are less than 1/2" deep.

Bobby, now that's an encouraging bit of information! Actually, I've never done Euro hinges before and I really was hoping this project would give me that experience. I've heard nothing but good things about the design. Thanks for the info! :cool:

Carl Eyman
06-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Bobby, now that's an encouraging bit of information! Actually, I've never done Euro hinges before and I really was hoping this project would give me that experience. I've heard nothing but good things about the design. Thanks for the info! :cool:
I've worked with euro hinges a fair amount albeit as an amateur. If worst came to worst, I see no reason why a piece of 1/16" or 1/8" veneer about 3" square could not be glued to the back side of the door and stile to increase the thickness. If made out of the same wood as the cabinets I don't think it'd look bad. That, of course, is a matter of personal opinion. That's my $0.02 worth and it may be overpriced.

Patrick Lee Hiatt
07-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Be carefull on your door rails and stiles if your below 3/4 already.
If your using a cope and stick set the doors, get real weak from the thin back on the grove. Run a test peice on a peice of wood and you'll see what I mean. And you still have not done your finish sanding yet.
I usually run my rails and stiles at 13/16 and then use a drum sander to sand the doors to a heavy 3/4.
I have also face jointed the rails and stiles of the doors perfectly flat and planed to a heavy 3/4 and that makes for a good door also without the drumsanding.