PDA

View Full Version : Parts hunt

BOB REESE
08-21-2017, 3:50 PM
Hi All, Here's my tale of woe. I have an older Jet 14" band saw. One winter day I was was in the garage and needed to make a quick cut and loosened up the guide post but accidentally let it drop to the table. I'm blaming the cold weather because the guide support bracket shattered. I can't find a replacement for that guide support bracket anywhere.The problem is the age of the saw. It has the older octagonal guide post and no one is making replacement guide support brackets for that post anymore. Has anyone else run into this problem? Will the round guide post work in my saw? Will the guide support bracket for the round post go on the octagonal post? Is this design used on any other band saws that still have parts available? I appreciate any and all information. Thanks much.

Joe Jensen
08-21-2017, 6:24 PM
What about aftermarket? I have Laguna ceramic guides on my bandsaw. Carter makes guides for many saws.

John Lanciani
08-21-2017, 6:56 PM
Is the guidepost hex or octagonal? If you post some measurements of the guidepost and a picture we may be able to help you find a suitable replacement.

Bruce Wrenn
08-21-2017, 9:31 PM
Check with Ittura Designs. They are your best shot.

Doug Garson
08-21-2017, 9:33 PM
I did the exact same thing about 3 years ago, dropped the post and broke the guide support bracket. I repaired it using JB Weld thinking it would be a temporary fix until I could source a new bracket, guess what the repaired bracket has held up and I have no interest in replacing it. I recommend you try repairing the broken guide bracket with JB Weld at least as a "temporary" fix.

BOB REESE
08-22-2017, 6:15 AM
It has the octagonal post. I'll get some pics tonight and post them.
Thanks

BOB REESE
08-22-2017, 6:38 AM
Thanks. i sent Louis an email, hope he can help me out.

BOB REESE
08-22-2017, 6:41 AM
Thanks Doug, i wish i had held on to the broken parts. Doh!!!

Doug Garson
08-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear that, as I said I broke the exact same part and my saw (an Asian clone of the old Delta 14") also has an octagonal post. Don't see that part on their website but you might try R&D Bandsaws, Bob there is very helpful. Good Luck.

BOB REESE
08-22-2017, 12:43 PM
Doug, thanks for the reference. I sent them an email maybe they can help.

Andrew Nemeth
08-22-2017, 1:05 PM
Bob,

can you look up the part in an old manual and maybe post a pic. I have an old 14" Jet, from the blue ol' days, that I put Carter guides on long ago. I kept all the parts that came off when installing the new guides. If it's one of the parts that gets 'discarded' when the Carter guides go on, I'd be willing to part with it. I can't see taking the carter guides off to switch back.

-Andrew

BOB REESE
08-22-2017, 4:09 PM
Thanks Andrew,

I'll be posting pics tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned to this very station.

BOB REESE
08-23-2017, 7:12 AM
I only had time for a quick pic. I could have chosen a better background but maybe you can get the idea. The bracket goes on a hexagonal post,(not octagonal) that's six sides. The post measures .83"

Thanks everyone for all the help

Doug Garson
08-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Looks identical to the one on my 14" Delta Asian clone including the hexagon post (less the JB Weld :rolleyes:) , that's good news because there are lot's of 14" Delta Asian clones out there so finding a replacement should be that much easier.

BOB REESE
08-23-2017, 1:21 PM
Yep,,, that's the animal I'm looking for. Bob at R&D Bandsaws thinks he can help me out if I get him enough pics and measurements. Thanks again for the information.

Andrew Nemeth
08-23-2017, 3:25 PM
Bob,
I just checked what I have and it is for a circular post. If the measurements line up, and the diameter of the post hole happens to be the longest dimention of the width of your post, it may well fit. I tried uploading photos from my phone without success. I even installed a new version of forum runner. I keep getting a "parse error" when I try to open up this thread and it keeps crashing when I try to pm you through there. If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send my pictures directly to you if you think what I have may fit.

Good luck,
Andrew

Doug Garson
08-23-2017, 3:58 PM
Great, glad I could help, I've dealt with Bob a couple of times and he's a straight shooter and very helpful so I'm glad I could throw a little business his way and help you out.

Ed Aumiller
08-26-2017, 9:48 PM
Often you can find a part on a Grizzly saw of the same vintage....
Had an Enlon and needed parts... a similiar Grizzly of the same year fit perfectly...
Check them out... they have excellent stock of older parts..