PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious - Cordless Circular Saws?

lowell holmes
08-20-2017, 1:01 PM
Watching This Old House, I saw a carpenter using a battery powered circular saw.

I have battery powered drills, but my saws are tailed. I had a 6" and an 8" Porter Cable saws.
They were my dads, one of my sons have them now. The 8" saw is almost scary to use, when you pull
the switch, it will really jump. I still have a 6" circular saw, but only occasionally need it. I have it and I will keep it.

My question is do framing carpenters really use battery powered saws? I think you would still need tpoles
when building a house.

John Lankers
08-20-2017, 1:54 PM
They all have one but they rarely use it. My son is left handed and he prefers his worm drive skill saw.

Mark Bolton
08-20-2017, 2:15 PM
Weve never found a cordless saw thats worth its weight but that said I cant say we chased the option very heavily. Saws seem to be the first thing to suffer in an average kit when the batteries start to weaken. They run slower and slower (and they are slow to begin with). They are handy for an odd cut here or there, or climbing up somewhere for a single cut but other than that they havent been of any use to us.

We about swore off cordless tools all together several years back simply due to aging batteries, and constantly having to pack 3-4 batteries in your belt when you take off with a cordless drill (no major advantage over stringing a cord). That said, we bought out a guy's tool collection who was injured in a car wreck and wound up with an arsenal of Makita LXT tools and about 25 batteries. The haul included several impact drivers. Those see daily use all day, every day. Cordless impact drivers have been a game changer for us in the shop and the field but the circular saws and sawzalls in our experience are just about useless. Our corldess sawzalls are relegated to footer drains (pvc) and plumbing. Not useful for much else.

Neil Gaskin
08-20-2017, 2:19 PM
A cordless is certainly handy in certain situations especially remodeling. But I would never only have a cordless.

Phillip Mitchell
08-20-2017, 2:38 PM
I'm a carpenter that does a wide scope of work from framing to finishing. I would never not have a corded circular saw available on a job site, but there are times when a battery powered saw can really come in handy. I was recently given a 6 1/2" Makita cordless saw. Like Neil said above, remodeling is a good reason to have one as well as working up on a roof deck. I wouldn't rip framing lumber with a battery saw, but cross cuts and plywood cuts can be just fine. Sometimes it is way more convenient to grab the battery saw instead of snaking 200' of ext cord to the roof to make some cuts.

So in short, they are handy for back up, tight/awkward situations, or obviously where power isn't readily/easily available. Not a substitution for a corded saw for framing, IMO.

lowell holmes
08-20-2017, 2:47 PM
Actually, the saw I have now is a 7 1/4" .

It is a good compromise between 6" and 8".

Steve Peterson
08-20-2017, 2:59 PM
I have an old Crafstman 19.2V cordless saw with a 5-1/2" blade. I often grab it when I don't want to drag around an extension cord. And it is probably 1/3 the weight of my worm drive saw. Sure, it has a lot less power so you have to know its limits.

I've never tested how long the battery lasts, but it would do at least 3-4 long cuts through 3/4" plywood on a single charge, maybe more.

Steve

Nick Decker
08-20-2017, 4:16 PM
I had a Bosch 18v cordless, don't remember the model number, but it struggled with 3/4" plywood. Sold it on CL, to a guy who wanted it to "fill out his Bosch collection." Whatever.

Andrew Hughes
08-20-2017, 4:45 PM
I used to have a cordless saw.It was very handy for doing small shake roofs at Disney Land.It was nearly impossible to get a spider box within a 200 ft.
I used it to cut the top two rows at the ridge off.Very handy but super small roofs.
I did many or the roofs at the California adventure park when they first opened.Batterys surly have gotten better since then.

Mike Kees
08-20-2017, 4:46 PM
I am a full time carpenter for a living. I use Milwaukee M18 Fuel cordless impact drivers,drill ,sawzall, and circular saw. The circ saw I have uses a 7 1/4 blade with the blade on the right side just like my corded saws. We use it constantly,just yesterday I used it to rip two ten foot 2x10s . The sawzall is also used alot,good tool as well. The impacts we could not function without they are used daily. I would say that these tools are definitely not going to replace all my corded tools,however they work well. It is real nice to be able to work on a site forming footings without having to listen to my generator. Mike.

johnny means
08-20-2017, 7:32 PM
Modern battery technology is much better than just a few years ago. Dewalts cordless miter saw will very likely get through a day of framing on a single battery. With newer quick chargers, changing out a battery one or twice is still more convenient than dealing with cords. My cordless mower will mow my lawn, about 1000 sf, 5 or 6 times between charges.

Jim Becker
08-20-2017, 8:20 PM
I agree with Johnny...today's cordless tools have come a long way. That said, my personal view is that cordless cutting tools are a valuable addition to someone's "bag of tricks" and not necessarily going to completely usurp corded tools for heavy use. They are bringing efficiency to many operations since they are "more portable" and easier to use in some situations, such as up high for a few cuts when dealing with a cord might bring more safety concerns, etc. As battery technology continues to soar to new heights, cordless will likely become even more mainstream, however, and more and more displace corded tools, even for heavier work.

lowell holmes
08-20-2017, 11:05 PM
I built 20 or so houses back in the 60's. The responses in this string do not surprise me.
I would be surprised if they were different. Back in the day, the first thing I did when starting
the forms for a house was to set a t-pole and call the power company.

I suspect a trim carpenter might use one, but I had some subs bring a table saw and set up
when starting Job built cabinets. I think I remember when cabinet plywood was a full 3/4" thick.
I had a hissy fit the first time I had to settle for 11/16" thick, or was it 23/32".

If I were building today, I would probably have both corded and cordless saws.

OBTW, I quit building when the interest rates at the bank hit 20%.

Mark Blatter
08-20-2017, 11:26 PM
I am doing fixture installs for a national company on new stores. We fly around to different states and I found it easier to carry all cordless tools, with one exception. My cordless tools include a 6" Milwaukee 18v circular saw. We use it to cut panels and aluminum on every install. Before buying one, I tried a Dremel saw, but it didn't last. I tried a Rotozip for the panels, but kept breaking the bits. Finally just settled on the circular saw. The only corded tool we carry is a Milwaukee hammer drill for putting Tapcons in place. We frequently do not have power on site for the first couple of days, so have to borrow an outlet from a nearby store to charge batteries. The Tapcons could be put in place by the GC or someone else if we cannot get power by the last day.

Yes, the saw burns through batteries faster than the other tools, but will still give pretty good results. I just bought a 12v 'sawzall' too for cutting out parts of the wall frames when an outlet gets covered. Works good too.

Edwin Santos
08-20-2017, 11:38 PM
As battery technology continues to soar to new heights, cordless will likely become even more mainstream, however, and more and more displace corded tools, even for heavier work.

Totally agree. Only a few years ago, most of us would have thought a battery powered car to be a joke. Today, a decked out Tesla is one of the most high performance cars on the road. If battery technology can meet the demands of a car like that on an economically realistic basis, cutting the jobsite power tool cord for even the heaviest tools should be very doable. As Jim points, out, they've come a long way already. They will keep getting smaller, more powerful, lighter, cheaper, longer lasting. It won't be long.

Sorry if this goes off topic, but the real Tesla - Nikola Tesla, envisioned a world of wireless, unlimited power (millions of volts) and documented exactly how to do it - over 100 years ago!

Mike Kreinhop
08-21-2017, 4:06 AM
While I would love to have a worm drive saw, I haven't been able to find any made for the European market. I have the Bosch GKS 18V 57G cordless saw that uses 6.5-inch blades and has two 5Ah lithium batteries. So far, it plows through anything I cut without bogging down, such as 23mm MDF. It is the only cordless Bosch saw here that has the blade on the right side and works with the Bosch guide rails. I went with cordless because most of the places I go don't have commercial power. Fortunately, all of my Bosch cordless tools take the same family of 18V batteries, so I'm never stranded between charges.

Martin Wasner
08-21-2017, 7:46 AM
They're super handy for making a few cuts when you don't wasn't to drag a cord back out of the trailer or in somewhere it'd be a pain to drag a cord.

With big Li-ion batteries, they're better than ever, but all day work is not their gig. If I'm on the ground cutting all day, give me a left worm drive. Trimming tails, or on a roof I like a regular right hand saw.

Eric Commarato
08-21-2017, 8:31 AM
I have the Dewalt 20 Volt model, I only bought it to use when I buy lumber at the mill or someone's house and I need to cut it before loading...

lowell holmes
08-21-2017, 9:18 AM
I think there is a cordless "skillsaw" in my future. :)

Steve Jenkins
08-21-2017, 9:31 AM
I bought a Makita because it uses the same battery as my drill. Needed it to put up about 1800' of cedar fence.it worked great

Kyle Iwamoto
08-21-2017, 12:27 PM
The battery world has certainly changed as mentioned. This could change the power tool game. Theres a jobsite inverter that runs off of your tool batteries and powers 110v ac tools. As long as you don't need an air compressor, it lasts a long time. While this may seem backwards, it does make sense. Not having to run a temp power pole to the jobsite will save a ton of money. Just don't forget to charge your batteries when you get back to the shop!

Alex Mielko
08-22-2017, 1:12 PM
Few years ago, I have purchased Craftsman cordless circular saw. I was never happy with it. It was OK for any soft wood that was 1/2" or less but it would struggle with 3/4" plywood. Even with the latest generation batteries. I sold it, bought corded Skilsaw and now I am a happy camper. For the record, I do not do any construction so all I need is an extension cord that reaches from my garage to the driveway or to the deck in the back.

Mike Goetzke
08-22-2017, 2:40 PM
I use a track saw system that utilizes standard circular saws. In the past I had a few corded saws but the Li-Ion batteries have progressed to a point that I am now cordless. I have both right and left blade versions the Makita X2 (36V) circular saws. They are every bit as powerful as my past corded Makita saws. I also have my 6-1/2" Makita cordless saw permanently attached to a ply ripping jig (this was part of a tool kit and previously not used).

Mike

Rick Alexander
08-22-2017, 3:14 PM
I use a track saw system that utilizes standard circular saws. In the past I had a few corded saws but the Li-Ion batteries have progressed to a point that I am now cordless. I have both right and left blade versions the Makita X2 (36V) circular saws. They are every bit as powerful as my past corded Makita saws. I also have my 6-1/2" Makita cordless saw permanently attached to a ply ripping jig (this was part of a tool kit and previously not used).

Mike
I had hands on this tool http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-6-1-2-in-Cordless-Circular-Saw-Tool-Only-XSH03Z/205875583?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sfN0vvygk|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_195274179 091_pkw__pmt__product_205875583_slid_&gclid=CjwKCAjwrO_MBRBxEiwAYJnDLOJT-5pn67sqlV9TQ22LqYgXPaypENKQx82YlA7WvAVYLeB7jzddJBo C_YgQAvD_BwE at the Makita factory during a visit by our woodworking club. That thing outperformed my Makita 5008 MGA corded saw and is a whole lot lighter. I wouldn't get rid of my corded for sure but I bet I will use that saw more than the corded one.

lowell holmes
08-22-2017, 3:28 PM
It certainly looks like a formidable saw. I have no real need for one, but I would like to have one. Hmm.. . . .

John K Jordan
08-22-2017, 3:46 PM
My question is do framing carpenters really use battery powered saws? I think you would still need tpoles
when building a house.

I'm not a framing carpenter in the trades but I am a framing carpenter when it comes to my own construction. I used a Dewalt 18v cordless circular saw a LOT when building my shop, 24x62. Although the Bosch glide miter saw handled all the studs, bracing, etc, the cordless was invaluable on a 10' ladder when trimming and notching 6x6 posts to inset beams. I notched 16 posts for 2x10s with several batteries on rotation. Plenty of power.

I used it extensively recently when building a 12x24 building on the farm for a new peacock house. I also use it quite a bit when cutting off a short length of a longer board in and around the shop since it is so handy to grab and use.

If I had a lot of 2x lumber to cut I'd drag out the heavier corded Skil saw. My good friend Tim who builds houses on both spec and contract uses a corded saw exclusively and often in his work.

JKJ

Jake Elkins
08-22-2017, 7:17 PM
A bit pricey, but the Bosch 36v saw lineup (both the recip and circ saws -- which I don't think they are continuing) is really nice. The circ saw is just as powerful as my Makita hypoid saw, and much lighter.

Scott T Smith
08-24-2017, 2:22 AM
I've had a 28V Milwaukee cordless saw for about 8 years and it gets used a lot around the farm. It's no substitute for a corded saw, but is very handy for making a quick cut on something or if you're working on a roof or off of a ladder.

John Sanford
09-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Pretty much all framing carpenters today have a corded, and many have a cordless as well, few are exclusively cordless, if for no other reason than the fact of cost. Those who can afford to go exclusively cordless have likely been in the trades for a while, so they have legacy corded tools. Noobs, who might be inclined to go cordless given the ever improving quality of cordless will be unlikely to spend the coinage on it yet. They both have their advantages, but cordless are closing the gap. DeWalt's newish (1 year old now) 60v Flexvolt saw is a beast, as strong as most corded tools and it has really good runtime. Is it the tool of choice for the guy down on the ground who's spending most of the day cutting? No. But reports indicate that for many, it can do a full day's work on a pair of batteries.

The replacement of most corded tools by cordless will follow a different path than it did with corded drills. The cordless drills soon incorporated clutches, something that was rare (and is even more so now) on corded drills. For most other cordless tools, they rarely have a lot of additional features than their corded counterparts, so the primary advantage is convenience.

I don't have a cordless circular saw yet, but it's on my "want list."

Ed Labadie
09-03-2017, 1:13 AM
Just ordered a 7 1/4" DeWalt 20v brushless....bare tool with a free 6amp/hr battery. Time will tell.

Ed

Ronald Mancini
09-03-2017, 3:02 PM
I shifted all my batteries to LI, and now I almost exclusively use battery powered circular saws, sawzall, drills, and hammer drills. So much faster and easier.

Gary Hynes
11-28-2017, 3:42 PM
I shifted all my batteries to LI, and now I almost exclusively use battery powered circular saws, sawzall, drills, and hammer drills. So much faster and easier.

Can I ask what model of circular saws do you have? I'm choosing what to buy from this top ten list of best circular saw from a list just to be sure I won't get an awful one. I'm also thinking of maybe getting a battery powered small one to use around the house. (Btw I'm just a newbie and a DIYer, for a quick BG about me)

lee cox
11-28-2017, 6:12 PM
I am no expert but I think the Milwaukee 28 volt Sawzall and circular saws are the best battery units I have tried. The Sawzall battery is just as good as my old corded version. The Milwaukee 28 volt circular works better than others but I do not think it is as good as my old Skill worm drive saw. The Milwaukee 28 volt circular saw just can not keep up with a corded circular saw. I have 2 Milwaukee 28 volt Sawzalls and I sold my Milwaukee 28 volt circular saw. I also sold my Milwaukee 28 volt drill as it was too big and strong for light stuff. It worked good for building concrete forums but I don't do a lot of that.

joseph f merz
11-29-2017, 12:12 AM
the new brushless tools are in a different league .i have makita brushless 6 1/2" with 5ah battery's and milwaukee 7 1/2" brushless .primarily use the makita . I do carry a corded saw in the truck also but it is a 10" . that new makita turns faster then the brushed saw .i can make real nice cuts alot easier then i could before . it follows a line nicely .the light weight and small size must help . framed up a decent deck with it using treated lumber .i cut a lot of material in place with no cord in the way .i do general carpentry and remodel now . i now also have dewalts big 12" cordless mitersaw . very handy for many jobs . the brushless tools are a whole new ball game .they have several cordless worm drives out there .but not for everyone i guess

Jim Dwight
11-29-2017, 1:36 PM
I started using Ryobi cordless tools back when the only batteries available were Ni Cd. With those batteries, the circular saw and reciprocating saw were novelties. They would not do real work. Then my son gave me a 2 pack of small lithium ion batteries when my Ni Cd went bad. In a drill, the main advantage was weight. But in the saws, they suddenly became useful tools. The circular saw will barely cut through 2x material but the battery is not the issue, the tiny blade is. But it is small and light and often I would rather not lug the Milwaukee and a cord. The reciprocating saw only has a 3/4 stroke so it will not keep up with my DeWalt corded saw but often the Ryobi is enough saw. I have a couple 4ah batteries now and that really makes the saws useful. Ryobi has a 7.25 inch brushless circular saw now, that would solve the depth of cut issue with my little one.
For around the house use, I think these cordless tools could be all you need. They do not quite keep up with good corded tools but will really do nearly anything that needs done - albeat a bit slower.

Art Mann
11-30-2017, 7:25 PM
If Elon Musk built a circular saw, it would cost a thousand dollars - even with government subsides. ;)

Totally agree. Only a few years ago, most of us would have thought a battery powered car to be a joke. Today, a decked out Tesla is one of the most high performance cars on the road. If battery technology can meet the demands of a car like that on an economically realistic basis, cutting the jobsite power tool cord for even the heaviest tools should be very doable. As Jim points, out, they've come a long way already. They will keep getting smaller, more powerful, lighter, cheaper, longer lasting. It won't be long.

Sorry if this goes off topic, but the real Tesla - Nikola Tesla, envisioned a world of wireless, unlimited power (millions of volts) and documented exactly how to do it - over 100 years ago!

Bill Graham
11-30-2017, 10:08 PM
When they come out with a battery that'll power a circ saw like a Makita 5007 that'll last all day cutting framing or siding(let's say 1000 cuts) I'll be standing in line.

I've been running framing crews for 15 years and I have yet to see a cordless saw on my jobsites. They have their applications where it would be nice to not have to drag around a cord but production framing isn't one.

I have an older Makita 6-1/2" 18V cordless and it's convenient for ripping down ply or making crosscuts at the yard so they'll fit in my 4Runner but for all day/every day use on a jobsite it would be about as useless as teats on a bull. Think about it: You have 6 guys standing 20' in the air holding a 300 lb ridge beam. Do you want to pay them to stand there while the guy with the saw waits for a fresh battery to trim the temp brace?

You have to have temp power onsite anyway to run the compressor(I haven't seen any cordless compressors) and all the corded tools the plumbers, HVAC guys, electricians, etc. use anyway and temp power is cheap. And the last time I checked Makita doesn't make a 16-1/4 cordless saw which we use every day.

Someday given the advances in battery tech we'll all be using cordless tools, but someday isn't today. In the meantime we have to make a living and battery power doesn't cut it.

Jim German
12-05-2017, 1:09 PM
I've got a Milwaukee M12 FUEL brushless circular saw and it is one of my favorite tools. No it doesn't have the power of a corded saw and it won't last the whole day on a single charge, but who cares? I'm not cutting pressure treated 6x6s most of the time, mostly I'm cutting plywood or 2xs and it does that just fine. The thing is so light and easy to use. I wouldn't want it as my only saw, but its a fantastic compliment and gets used probably 95% of the time when the corded saw gathers dust.