PDA

View Full Version : Last of the Cutting Boards

john whittaker
10-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Hopefully. Can't wait to start on something other than...anything else besides...something completly different than........... a chopping block.:eek: Recently I've made about a dozen of various types of cutting boards. It was a good learning tool for this beginner. The checkerboard is an end grain chop block made from walnut and maple. 1.5" thick and a hair over 12" x 12". The juice groove was a first for me.
The "other" board is just a hunk of 8/4 maple. The round bottom cracker groove was hand carved and took several hours. There must be a better way.... The the inlay was another first for me. The boarder was store bought and the center inlay is paduk. This started out as an experiment or inlay practice but it turned out to be a cheese & cracker board. I'm not too keen on it so if someone stops in and likes it.....it's theirs.

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2005, 10:39 PM
John they are absolutely awesome. Love them both. I am going to make a couple but need to do some research on making them as this will be the first ones I have made. I have also done some reading on inlays. I would like to do that on some other pieces. Got to get the grandson's wooden wagon done first though.

Corey Hallagan
10-28-2005, 10:56 PM
I am with Bernie John, thrry are both very cool, expecially the maple cheese and cracker board. Not your everyday board.

Corey

Andrew Ault
10-28-2005, 11:08 PM
I like the checkered one alot. Nice.

- Andy

Vaughn McMillan
10-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Both boards look great, John. I like what looks like added thin strips of maple in the checkerboard pattern, and also like the way the grain in the maple changes in the "cracker well" on the cheese/cracker board. I know cutting boards can be a lot of work, and yours look like all the effort paid off.

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
10-28-2005, 11:57 PM
I like what looks like added thin strips of maple in the checkerboard pattern...Took me a minute to scope that one out: the word "checkerboard" kept throwing me off:p. Looks like the maple "squares" are about a third longer than the walnut squares...because of the way it lines up, the extra length looks like continuous strips of maple running up the board.

Dennis Peacock
10-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Ok John,

You can be very proud of yourself on those cutting boards. VERY NICE!!!! Very good work and nice craftsmanship.:D

Jason Tuinstra
10-29-2005, 12:48 AM
John, I especially like the walnut and maple board. The strip of maple between the alternating woods was real nice touch. It really makes the walnut stand out. Great job.

Richard Wolf
10-29-2005, 7:11 AM
Both boards look great.

Richard

John Hart
10-29-2005, 7:15 AM
I'm with Jason...I really like how you bordered the checks so it's not a traditional checkerboard. Very classy. Both are beautiful. Nice work all around!

Michael Stafford
10-29-2005, 7:54 AM
Beautiful John, both are very striking! I too love the maple and walnut board. GET that cleaver off of that work of art before someone thinks they are supposed to chop on it.....;)

John Buzzurro
10-29-2005, 8:17 AM
John,

I'm not sure why you don't like the cheese & cracker board. I think it looks fine, and I especially like the inlayed Padauk. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Greg Tatum
10-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Really nice John...how about a little tutorial on the maple/walnut board? I would like to try my hand at a few....It has that little extra something that makes it stand out as a craft piece...at least to my eye....the same way Vaughn's maple/padauk board does...http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23080

(I like the others as well, Vaughn:) )

Greg

Peter Pedisich
10-29-2005, 11:14 PM
John,

Both are nice cutting boards, but that checkerboard one is awesome!
Looks expensive!

Thanks for sharing

Jim Knauss
10-30-2005, 5:58 AM
Very nice John, I really like the checkerboard style. I might have to try one of those and hope it comes out as nice as yours.
Jim Knauss