PDA

View Full Version : Pressure treated plywood?

Wade Lippman
08-18-2017, 5:44 PM
I am building a raised bed garden. The easiest and cheapest thing to use is a sheet of PT plywood.

I used a sheet as a sand box cover 25 years ago. It delaminated in the first year. Has the product improved any since then?

Steve Demuth
08-18-2017, 6:13 PM
I've got pressure treated plywood 35+ years old that's been in continuous ground contact with no failure at all, so there may have been some issue with the grade or quality of what you purchased.

Mel Fulks
08-18-2017, 6:40 PM
I remember a real old thread about that stuff. Some posts pointed out that there is a better grade than what is sold buy the BORGS.

John Ziebron
08-18-2017, 11:47 PM
Never had much luck either with PT plywood. About 15 years ago I made some raised garden beds and used composite decking that I bought at a good price on Craigslist. Went 2 planks high (about 11 inches) and used cut up steel fence posts to fasten and hold them in place. Still no sign of any deterioration.

Jim Becker
08-19-2017, 10:06 AM
My raised beds are bordered with composite material at this point. I original used cedar, but it eventually gave up it's integrity, although over many years. I would never use PT in and around a garden if it's being used for producing food products, personally.

Wayne Lomman
08-19-2017, 5:53 PM
I agree with Jim on this. Use something other than pressure treated for food production. I am using steel. I got hold of a heap of steel crates for nothing that I have cut and shut into garden beds. Cheers

John K Jordan
08-19-2017, 11:39 PM
My raised beds are bordered with composite material at this point. I original used cedar, but it eventually gave up it's integrity, although over many years. I would never use PT in and around a garden if it's being used for producing food products, personally.

I've read about studies on this but only remember there wasn't a simple answer. I didn't do a comprehensive search just now but this looks interesting: http://www.finegardening.com/are-pressure-treated-woods-safe-garden-beds

I want to build a few more this fall including a couple of long ones for strawberries. I like the idea of stone raised beds but how do I talk my wife into carrying all those rocks? :)

JKJ

Justin Ludwig
08-20-2017, 7:34 AM
I use cinder blocks.

My FIL uses poly drums cut in half for his blueberries and strawberries. Unsightly, but highly effective.