PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to get minimax slider off pallet

Nancy Strevelowski
08-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Hi there,

i received my new slider, what is the best way to get the saw off the pallet? I have a pallet jack to move the crate and saw once removed but no forklift to remove the saw. I'm sure some of you have been through this!

currently I'm also pondering how to get it safely off my trailer.

Peter Christensen
08-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Rent a gantry style crane or hire a truck with a crane on it.

http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/cranes_all_types/gantry_and_tripod_cranes/gantry_and_tripod_cranes.shtml

David T gray
08-18-2017, 11:45 AM
just make a plywood ramp no reason to rent anything nothing fancy i just used 1 2x4 and a half sheet of 3/4ply

Andy Giddings
08-18-2017, 12:07 PM
just make a plywood ramp no reason to rent anything nothing fancy i just used 1 2x4 and a half sheet of 3/4ply
+1 on David's advice. At least for Felder and Hammer gear, this is the simplest way to get it off the pallet. You could also use the same technique to get it off your trailer depending on the height (or rent some aluminum ramps).

roger wiegand
08-18-2017, 1:13 PM
If you have a hefty beam in your shop rig one or two comealongs with canvas moving straps around the saw and lift it up, slide the pallet out of the way, then let it down on iron pipe rollers that will let you move it to wherever it needs to go.

Erik Loza
08-18-2017, 1:16 PM
You can also just use a Sawzall and gradually nibble away at the pallet (it's nowhere near as beefy as a "regular" pallet you are used to seeing; trust me on that...) until the machine sort of collapses through the floor. The SC4 is actually very stable and won't toip over or anything. I've done that at trade shows where there was no pallet jack nearby. Hope this helps,

Erik

lowell holmes
08-18-2017, 1:28 PM
Tool rental place?

http://www.homedepot.com/c/moving_supplies_equipment_rental

Jim Becker
08-18-2017, 1:59 PM
I did something that was a combination of both David's and Erik's suggestions when getting my S315WS off the pallet and if I recall, it was while my trailer was tipped into the shop allowing things to, um...flow downhill. :)

John TenEyck
08-18-2017, 3:37 PM
The absolute best way is to hook it back up to your truck and drive to my house. End of problem.

John

Jim Andrew
08-18-2017, 8:43 PM
I bought the mobility kit when I got my K3 Winner. Installed it then built a ramp and rolled it off onto the floor.

Brian W Evans
08-18-2017, 9:18 PM
I bought a come-along and some towing chain to drag the pallet off of the trailer. Hooked the come-along to a lally column. Like in your case, a pallet jack wasn't going to work because of the orientation of the saw on the trailer.

Once on the ground, I made a simple ramp and very slowly (and nervously) rolled the saw to the floor. Once it's on the floor, a pallet jack is exactly what you need. The saw has stickers that show where the forks go.

Nancy Strevelowski
08-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Went easy route. Rented a forklift. Simple after that.

Bruce Mack
08-21-2017, 9:29 AM
That's the way to go. Done fast with no damage to you or the machine. Enjoy it.

Jim Becker
08-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Hey, that works...use a very large power tool to unload a very large power tool. :D (I would have done that myself, but a forklift wouldn't have been able to get into my shop due to height I suspect)

Mike Henderson
08-21-2017, 11:33 AM

Just for future reference, what did it cost you to rent the forklift? And how did you get it home?

Mike

Jim Becker
08-21-2017, 1:30 PM
Mike, my local rental place charges $155 for four hours and $248 daily for a forklift capable of 5000 lbs. This assumes you have a trailer to transport. Rental for that adds a little to the cost, of course. But sometimes it's the right call!

Mike Henderson
08-21-2017, 3:06 PM
Mike, my local rental place charges $155 for four hours and $248 daily for a forklift capable of 500 lbs. This assumes you have a trailer to transport. Rental for that adds a little to the cost, of course. But sometimes it's the right call!

Okay, thanks. I just wanted a ballpark figure.

Mike

Andy Giddings
08-21-2017, 5:19 PM
Mike, my local rental place charges $155 for four hours and $248 daily for a forklift capable of 500 lbs. This assumes you have a trailer to transport. Rental for that adds a little to the cost, of course. But sometimes it's the right call!
Do you mean 500lb, Jim? Seems low for a forklift - might be a 0 missing?

Jim Becker
08-21-2017, 8:50 PM
Do you mean 500lb, Jim? Seems low for a forklift - might be a 0 missing?
Yea, a zero was missing. I fixed it. :D (Because I can, heh...heh...)

Harold Balzonia
08-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Hi there,

i received my new slider, what is the best way to get the saw off the pallet?

currently I'm also pondering how to get it safely off my trailer.

remove all the straps holding the machine to the pallet...

hook 2 giant eye-bolts to the pallet

connect a big, thick rope or chain to the eye bolts

Make sure the chain/rope is atleast 100' long

borrow a buddy's 1977 chevy dually and connect the rope/chain to the dually leaving as much slack as possible

set up the video cameras for multiple angles

get in the truck wearing a t-shirt with no sleeves

scream "GIT ER DONE"!! As loud as possible

stomp on the accelerator and haul ass until the pallet flies out from underneath. Kind of like pulling the tablecloth out from under a fancy set of tableware

load the video to you tube

go viral

collect lots and lots of views and get PAID!

Peter Christensen
08-22-2017, 2:20 AM
Replace "git er done" with "hold my beer." ;)

Lane Hardy
08-22-2017, 4:05 PM
remove all the straps holding the machine to the pallet...

hook 2 giant eye-bolts to the pallet

connect a big, thick rope or chain to the eye bolts

Make sure the chain/rope is atleast 100' long

borrow a buddy's 1977 chevy dually and connect the rope/chain to the dually leaving as much slack as possible

set up the video cameras for multiple angles

get in the truck wearing a t-shirt with no sleeves

scream "GIT ER DONE"!! As loud as possible

stomp on the accelerator and haul ass until the pallet flies out from underneath. Kind of like pulling the tablecloth out from under a fancy set of tableware

load the video to you tube

go viral

collect lots and lots of views and get PAID!

it sounds like somebody has been watching too many Dukes of Hazard showes.

Erik Loza
08-27-2017, 10:57 AM
...stomp on the accelerator and haul ass until the pallet flies out from underneath...

True tales from the front:

-When I was with Felder in the early 2000's, there was such a skeleton crew in the Sacto office that the sales guys were often charged with loading and unloading machines with the forklift. They had some forklift guy come out and "certify" us at one point, which was like your driver's ed course with cones and such. Yes, we were "certified" but just like passing dreiver's ed doesn't make you a professional driver, you can imagine where this is going. I was trying to load up a giant-ass CF7-41 SP combo machine into back of a box truck for a trade show and accidentally drove the whole forklift WITH MACHINE ON IT into the back of the truck, which was like 3X what the truck was rated for. Anyhow, the forklift ened up cracking off a piece of the machine's cast iron table about the size of a quarter. Like knocking off the edge of a granite counterop. $25K+ machine, basically totaled because of that. I stuck to the pallet jack after that.

-At Minimax in Austin, they hired some new forklift guy. We were sitting in the front office one day and "BOOM!", what sounded like a bomb going off in the warehouse. New guy apparently dropped a 20" SCMi planer from the top shelf. Later that day (not making this up), "BOOM!", again. Dropped a second 20" SCMi planer from the top rack. Guy got fired on the spot.

By far the most damage-prone machines, however, were bandsaws. Tall, slender, and a high center of gravity. In the last five or so years, SCM started shipping all their bandsaws lying down, which essentially has eliminated freight-related damage but in the early days, they were shipped standing upright. I've lost track of the number of times I've had to pick an MM16 back up at a trade show and do something like pound the fence guide bar brackets back into shape or pull the fan cover and tap the dents back out (testimony to rugged Centauro saws are: They would always run great afterwards). Fun stuff.

Erik

scott vroom
08-27-2017, 5:27 PM
We recently received a Hammer K3 for a new shop we're in the process of setting up. The driver wouldn't back down a long driveway to the shop so I had him roll it off his lift gate onto the bed of my truck. We built a simple gantry in the shop from lumber we had...took about an hour or so. We unbolted it from the pallet, lifted it a couple inches with a chain hoist and drove the truck away.

Alan Lightstone
08-27-2017, 5:36 PM
In a similar vein, I'm building a new shop, and the floor will likely be 12-18" elevated from the garage floor.

What is the best way to move heavy machinery onto the elevated floor? Pallet jack? Overhead crane (which I may have anyway, but in different part of the shop), another way?

scott vroom
08-27-2017, 5:42 PM
Alan, are you trying to move equipment currently sitting on the garage floor to an adjacent floor that steps up 12-18"? I can't picture a pallet jack accomplishing that unless you're planning on building a long ramp.

Alan Lightstone
08-27-2017, 6:45 PM
Alan, are you trying to move equipment currently sitting on the garage floor to an adjacent floor that steps up 12-18"? I can't picture a pallet jack accomplishing that unless you're planning on building a long ramp.

Yes. I can't figure out how to do that with a pallet jack either, but was wondering if I was missing something.

Jim Becker
08-27-2017, 7:05 PM
You might be able to do it with a "high lift" pallet jack...

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/400x400/103/103830_400x400.jpg

Frederick Skelly
08-27-2017, 7:14 PM
Replace "git er done" with "hold my beer." ;)

Or with "Hey yawl, watch this!"

Gary Cunningham
08-27-2017, 9:18 PM
Or with "Hey yawl, watch this!"

The proper phrase is 'Hold my beer, and watch this......'