PDA

View Full Version : Jet 60" parallel clamp question

John Sayen
08-16-2017, 1:10 PM
Hi all,

Have an opportunity to buy some jet 60" parallel clamps for $40 each. Seems like a decent price?

This is probably a stupid question:

If I find that they're too big and bulky for most tasks, is there any disadvantage to cutting them down to 40, 36, 24"?

Are the pads/feet/bars the same size as come on the smaller versions?

Matt Day
08-16-2017, 1:23 PM
$40/ea is a good price if they're new just a couple months ago Amazon had them for about $36ea.

There's nothing wrong with cutting them down from a use standpoint, but unless you already have a lot of longer clamps, I would leave them long and try to find some short ones.

John Sayen
08-16-2017, 1:28 PM
$40/ea is a good price if they're new just a couple months ago Amazon had them for about $36ea.

There's nothing wrong with cutting them down from a use standpoint, but unless you already have a lot of longer clamps, I would leave them long and try to find some short ones.

I'm sure the answer is "it depends on what kind of work you do" but do we have a feel for how many a decent amount of 60" is? 10?

Mike Henderson
08-16-2017, 2:19 PM
I have 3/4" pipe clamps for long clamping. I find that I use my shorter clamps a LOT more than my longer clamps. I'd probably cut down all of those clamps and get some pipe clamps for long clamping.

I use my 12" clamps the most, and my 24" clamps the next most. If I was cutting down, I'd probably go to 18" rather than 12", however.

Mike

Cary Falk
08-16-2017, 3:00 PM
Amazon currently has a pair of 60" for $77.50. The shipping is long even though it is through Prime. I bought some when they were $70. I think that was back in June. Don't know if they will ever arrive. I plan to cut some of them down to the 24-35" length

Doug Garson
08-16-2017, 3:16 PM
Looks like the price of Jet clamps is all over the map on Amazon.com. Yes a pair of 60" are $70 but a pair of 12" are $95 and a pair of 24" are $103 and a pair of 31" are $140. Guess the price is more dependent on popularity than cost of making them.

David T gray
08-16-2017, 4:46 PM
Amazon currently has a pair of 60" for $77.50. The shipping is long even though it is through Prime. I bought some when they were $70. I think that was back in June. Don't know if they will ever arrive. I plan to cut some of them down to the 24-35" length

i am suprised i bought mine after you for 71 and got them a month ago

Frederick Skelly
08-16-2017, 9:35 PM
I'm sure the answer is "it depends on what kind of work you do" but do we have a feel for how many a decent amount of 60" is? 10?

I normally buy 10 of a given clamp. But 60 inchers - unless you're going to routinely build large cabinets, I'd buy 4. That lets you clamp 2 sides of a large cabinet. You can order more for a specific project when needed for about the same price. Remember: you have to store them if you buy them. YMMV.
Fred

Jim Becker
08-16-2017, 9:55 PM
Good price. And I'd never cut them down. I don't use the five footers I have (K-body) often, but when I need them...I need them.

Wade Lippman
08-17-2017, 9:29 AM
Looks like the price of Jet clamps is all over the map on Amazon.com. Yes a pair of 60" are $70 but a pair of 12" are $95 and a pair of 24" are $103 and a pair of 31" are $140. Guess the price is more dependent on popularity than cost of making them.

Amazon has an automated system that adjusts the price according to sales and inventory. I bought a cyclone from them for 40% off, presumably because they hadn't sold one recently.

Doug Garson
08-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Amazon has an automated system that adjusts the price according to sales and inventory. I bought a cyclone from them for 40% off, presumably because they hadn't sold one recently.
Interesting I wonder if that explains the insanely high prices you see sometimes?

John K Jordan
08-17-2017, 1:27 PM

According to the history on camelcamelcamel that looks like a good price:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Jet-70460-2-Parallel-Clamp-Pack/product/B000UBIXD0

JKJ

Doug Garson
08-17-2017, 6:07 PM
If only there was a website that predicts future Amazon prices.:D

Sebastien La Madeleine
08-17-2017, 6:41 PM
If only there was a website that predicts future Amazon prices.:D
There is, the same site, the hard part is finding the time machine :)

John K Jordan
08-17-2017, 6:57 PM
There is, the same site, the hard part is finding the time machine :)

One thing to do is look a the history of a product then put a watch on it at or below the lowest price you see, or somewhat higher to be more realistic.

Got to be careful though, some low prices are obviously driven by algorithms and will probably never be repeated. For example, I wanted to buy a Brown & Sharpe dial test indicator, normally over $200. I stumbled on one for about $45 and bought it immediately. The next day it was over $200, today it is $237. Looking at the price history it occasionally drops to $150 or even $100 but I never expect to see it at $45 again!

JKJ

Jim Becker
08-17-2017, 8:19 PM
Some "very attractive" prices on Amazon are one-shot deals...they give you the price when you're shopping and when you go back to buy it later, it's back to a more normal price. The algorithm is setup to encourage impulse purchases. ;) But if you do push that button...you can sometime get a very nice "score". :)

David T gray
08-18-2017, 2:17 PM
drill bits on amazon are always crazy discounted got a fractional set of carbide bits for $30 that are made in usa and come in nice metal case also got some tin coated hss for about 20 in the same metal box..