PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever think . .

lowell holmes
08-16-2017, 1:03 PM
What will happen to your tools when you pass?
I am 81, good health, walk every morning, see a cardiologist every year, normal blood pressure, so nothing is working here.

My wife has no idea about what I have. I have a grown children and grand children near by. They all have tools. Do you just
let them sort it out when the time comes?

Simon MacGowen
08-16-2017, 1:27 PM
What will happen to your tools when you pass?

Unless I kick the bucket without warning (might not be a bad thing considering that some people I know including family died in a painful and suffering way because of cancer), I know when I pass, all my tools will have been disposed of. My plan is to get rid of all my big machines 5 years before I am done with woodworking. I will keep a few hand tools which I will get rid of near the end of my woodworking life.

I do not foresee any serious woodworking tools (not counting pliers, hammers!) will be around by the time I am gone. I don't plan to do any woodworking after 75 for the record. So around 70, I will begin unloading my collection. Frankly, what else will I want built after (by then) some 50 years of woodworking? I think I will feel tired of woodworking even before that day.

Kudos to those can keep going and going despite their age.

Simon

Jim Koepke
08-16-2017, 1:47 PM
It often bothers me that my grandchildren might not be as enthusiastic about woodworking as myself.

Hopefully one of them will. My oldest grandson has taken some liking to working with me on projects when he is here.

Other than that, maybe some of them can be educated on how everything goes together or Heaven forbid I should have to catalog all my tools and leave instructions for someone on how to dispose of them.

jtk

lowell holmes
08-16-2017, 1:50 PM
Jim,
Have you ever been to see him in Korea?

Jim Koepke
08-16-2017, 1:56 PM
Jim,
Have you ever been to see him in Korea?

Talk about déjà vu, wasn't this answered in another thread?

jtk

lowell holmes
08-16-2017, 2:19 PM
Talk about déjà vu, wasn't this answered in another thread?

jtk
Probably, If you last this long, it will probably happen to you.:)

Warren Mickley
08-16-2017, 2:53 PM
I think my children will be glad I did not invest in collectibles.

Jim Koepke
08-16-2017, 2:59 PM
I think my children will be glad I did not invest in collectibles.

+1 on that. The only tools I have that are not users are the ones that are broken or do not work as they should.

jtk

Charles Wiggins
08-16-2017, 3:01 PM
I am nine years older than my wife, and given other factors she will probably outlive me by 20 years or more. She interested in woodworking, but right now we are working on other things like downsizing in house so that we can upsize in shop space. I hope that by the time I pass she will be actively using everything and know what things are worth and can keep or dispose of them to suit her needs. Beyond that I don't give a rip.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-16-2017, 3:02 PM
Yes- my wife and I have discussed this thoroughly. First of all- I will be gone, and I really don't care what happens to the tools, except that I know my daughter will want to remember me by something, and I have friends that will want some tools. I am making a book with every tool and what it is worth, as well as what I used it for (what specific projects it took part in.) If my daughter wants to pick a certain tool as a keepsake, she can have an idea of what that tool was used for. I have also let her know please to give my workbench to my daughter, and I don't care what she uses it for, but I want her to have it.

I'm young and healthy, but I do travel a lot. You never know. One bad landing and...

Brad Barnhart
08-16-2017, 3:19 PM
I think about this subject, too. My wife is 18 years older than me, we've been married 26 years. She has three grown children. None of them have an interest in woodworking, unless they want me to create them something. None of the grandkids show interest. My nephews are never going to have enough ambition to pursue the hobby. I'm 50 years old & have some health issues, but intend to keep woodworking til I no longer can. I was forced into retirement from trucking 5 years ago due to my health, & my shop & wood tools are all I have to keep my sanity.

Making a book with every tool in it, it's use & value is a good idea. Something to ponder in case that time comes. Have it in a safe place, with details of what I want done with my tools in that same book.

Dave Beauchesne
08-16-2017, 3:20 PM
My wife and I were watching TV on a rainy Sunday and a commercial came on. I grabbed the remote and muted the sound. I blurted out ' when I die, I want you to sell all my ' stuff ' - immediately'. I got a quizzical look from my better half - ' what are you talking about ? ' she said. ' You are a good looking woman, and, with my blessing, I want you to find some one else' - ' besides, I don't want some jerk using my ' stuff '. To which her reply was ' who said I would marry another jerk'?? This question I have pondered as well - at 57, I hope I have a long ways to go, but you never know. - Dave B

Pat Barry
08-16-2017, 3:30 PM
Yes- my wife and I have discussed this thoroughly. First of all- I will be gone, and I really don't care what happens to the tools, except that I know my daughter will want to remember me by something, and I have friends that will want some tools. I am making a book with every tool and what it is worth, as well as what I used it for (what specific projects it took part in.) If my daughter wants to pick a certain tool as a keepsake, she can have an idea of what that tool was used for. I have also let her know please to give my workbench to my daughter, and I don't care what she uses it for, but I want her to have it.

I'm young and healthy, but I do travel a lot. You never know. One bad landing and...
I started the 'book' years ago. I figured it would be good to have a record of everything in the event I got robbed, fire, tragedy, etc. Unfortunately, making that book became such a chore I hated doing it - its really way too organized for the way I do things. I have now finished my 'will' with an attorney. One of the open action items for me is to make a list of everything that I wish to be given to someone. I figure that much will fall under a miscellaneous tools, or miscellaneous woodworking tools category however the lawyer advised that if there are specific items they be described and designated as to who I wish gets them. So that's what I'm working on now. What I'm trying to figure out is what to give my daughters who are not mechanically inclined??

Pat Barry
08-16-2017, 3:31 PM
My wife and I were watching TV on a rainy Sunday and a commercial came on. I grabbed the remote and muted the sound. I blurted out ' when I die, I want you to sell all my ' stuff ' - immediately'. I got a quizzical look from my better half - ' what are you talking about ? ' she said. ' You are a good looking woman, and, with my blessing, I want you to find some one else' - ' besides, I don't want some jerk using my ' stuff '. To which her reply was ' who said I would marry another jerk'?? This question I have pondered as well - at 57, I hope I have a long ways to go, but you never know. - Dave B
Was that the cremation commercial where the older couple look so happy to have made their decision?

Nathan Johnson
08-16-2017, 3:35 PM

Another jerk....

I like her already.

Bill Houghton
08-16-2017, 3:35 PM
My sons will sort them out.

Hasin Haroon
08-16-2017, 3:57 PM
I've spoken about this with my wife on a couple of occasions. Everytime I'm at a garage/estate sale where tools are sold for a pittance or allowed to collect rust it makes me a little sad to think of someones prized possession being treated in such an undignified manner (though it also makes me happy that I'm getting a good deal)...and makes me think of what will happen to my tools when I pass. I'm still young but you never know.

I've made a list of most of my tools on an excel sheet, along with their value (new price, or going market price depending on whether it's a new tool or old), and the price that my wife could sell them for. My hope is that it will help her get fair value for the tools if it comes to that instead of having to look into each item or just sell them for peanuts. But making a list (along with descriptions, manufacturer and price) is a good idea regardless - in case of an insurance claim due to theft or fire etc.

Simon MacGowen
08-16-2017, 6:09 PM
Some folks mentioned about selling their tools at fair market value (after they are gone). We have a few estate service firms here that run estate sales for families whose loved ones passed, leaving behind loads and loads of goods to dispose of, not necessarily woodworking tools. I went to some of them and the fair market prices you have in mind (now) do not exist, because the goal after someone dies, their family have is to get rid of stuff that no one else wants. If you leave behind tools with details about prices etc thinking they will help, you are pretty wrong I am afraid. You may think the chisel is worth $50, they will sell them at $20 tops.

I have seen hand tools in decent conditions sold for 20% or less at their market prices and power tools --better -- at 30% to 50% of the fair prices. The only exceptions are where the estate goods are sold with the help of woodworking friends who spend time selling them on behalf of the deceased. Some of them would even promise they would buy the prices they tag if they don't sell.

This is why my plan is to sell mine when I am still around (after donating some of them to the people or places that deserve them). When I am not in a rush to move (usually the case in estate sales where the house is sold and things have to go relatively fast), I can take my time (over several years). I have no attachments to my tools whatsoever (I take care of them well, very well). When they have done their functions, allowing me to build my projects, I will retire them (along with myself), hoping they will be in some woodworkers' good hands and continue their new journey.

Simon

Jim Koepke
08-16-2017, 6:27 PM
We have a few estate service firms here that run estate sales for families whose loved ones passed,

We have a few in this area also. One of them also has his own antique shop. He asks high ebay prices for stuff and then ends up putting it into his own shop. I seldom will stop at one of his sales or stop in his shop since I know there isn't going to be any bargains.

jtk

bridger berdel
08-16-2017, 6:48 PM
I'll be going to sort out my dad's tools in a couple of weeks. It'll be an exploration, as I haven't worked in his shop in decades. some of his stuff will replace the same item in my shop, just for sentimental reasons. some will be sold, some given away. some will doubtless just be stored. he had been on a mission to thin out the excess, but I don't think he got far.

lowell holmes
08-16-2017, 6:56 PM
Looking at my post that I made this morning and now seeing the number of responses, I think the answer to my question is yes. :)

I am not surprised.

Brian Holcombe
08-16-2017, 8:28 PM
If my son or family take up the cause then they should get them, otherwise prefer they're gifted to someone who will put them to good use. I would like my tools to be discarded after being completely used up by professional work and careful maintenance.

Chris Parks
08-16-2017, 10:03 PM
My son stood in the middle of our workshop (he uses it and the tools therein) and says to me, what am I going to do with all this woodworking crap when you aren't here. I don't mind that actually because at his age I had the same approach to WW and was heavily into cars and I only got involved in WW out of necessity and lack of money. I have recently made a complete spread sheet (500 items) after getting rid of some stuff because a mate had his workshop ripped off and he could not remember all that was in it so months later he had to buy tools out of his own pocket because he had not claimed them. At least we have finished racing and all the superkart stuff is gone so I don't have to worry about that any longer.

Rick Malakoff
08-16-2017, 11:04 PM
About 90 days ago I responded to a thread elsewhere on this forum, I'm a little older now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hi All,
I'm 72 1/2 today, none of my children are interested in wood working nor are my sons in laws but just about every weekend I visit the local swap meet and look for old tools. I figure that it serves many purposes, I get out and spend two hours shambling around and I buy planes for less than the price of a replacement irons, there also braces and bits, Yankee push drivers in all sizes and quite a few egg beaters all for cheep. Not to mention hand saws and back saws.
I clean them up but do not refurbish them, clean meaning no rust but sharped and usable and they do get used.

My kids and grand kids know what I do and know that there will always be a market for what I have accumulated, so yes they will be able to keep or sell "The Antiques" because in the future not everyone can afford a 300$ plane or saw.

The other thing is I know that what I find will be going to a good home!

Rick