PDA

View Full Version : planer to the basement

Michael B
10-28-2005, 8:42 PM
Hi all.

I need some advice on getting a 20" planer into the basement. It hasn't arrived yet, but want to have this figured out before it gets here. :eek:

So far this is what I'm thinking of. You can jump in any time with comments or advice. I have bilco doors into the basement with a 32" stairwell. We're thinking of a platform of 2x10 to slide the planer down.

Using a motor hoist to get it over the stairwell edge, having webbing (2 around and 2 over the crate hooked to a clevece and attached to the back of my truck slowly sliding it into the basement. Sound good:confused:
Don't know how much can be broken down to lighten it up, so if anyone has done this before...I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Mike

Rick Haigh
10-28-2005, 9:21 PM
Hi Michael,
I would suggest removing at least the motor and planer head if possible. I have a combo machine, so removing the head is pretty easy. If the wings are cast iron, I would also try to remove them before moving it.

Rick

Alan Turner
10-29-2005, 1:49 AM
I had that problem, and we solved it by using a comealong, and an appliance hand truck, and tied off the end of the comealong on a 2/10 of maple across the back of the house. Then we just ratcheted it down, a click at a time. Took a few minutes, but seemed safe. I think the shipping weight on mine was 780#.

Dan Forman
10-29-2005, 3:04 AM
I moved a 14" jointer/ planer into my basement, sliding it down the stairs on 2 ramps made of (2) 2x6's each. Make sure it is securely fastened to whatever platform you're sending it down on. I just blocked the legs in on mine, figuring that would be enough, but halfway down the legs started lifting out of the blocks and it nearly fell forward off of the platform. So I jumped on it while someone else tied it down with a strap, and the rest went relatively uneventful. OOPS, just reread and saw you have that covered. But you might want to put down something on the stairs to protect them from your platform, as they could get pretty well chewed up.
How much does the beast weigh? Mine was 850 lb I think. We had no power equipment, just block and tackle, levers, and steel bars to roll the thing on.

Be aware that it may skew off in an unexpected direction on the way down, as the weight probably isn't balanced. Mine wanted to go left, and we had to lever it away from the wall several times on the way down with a 2x4, which sort of trashed a bit of wall board. Might want to have the driver on a cell phone to someone in the basement to receive feedback on how things are going. Might not hurt to reinforce the stairs with a few 2x4s as well.

Good luck!

Dan

Richard Wolf
10-29-2005, 7:08 AM
Absolutly reinforce the stairs like Dan said if they are of wood constructions. Making ramps that span the staircase will spread the load, but wood stringers on stairs are not designed to carry large loads without being supported with additional frameing under them.

Richard

Jerry Olexa
10-29-2005, 9:56 AM
Dismantle in pieces and take down the individual parts. Be careful. Lots of weight on a delicate machine.

Rob Russell
10-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi Michael,

Welcome to SMC. Please send an email to the site admins (click on Contact Us at the bottom of the screen) to have them update your profile with a full last name. That's one of the Terms of Service of participating in the forum. We're a friendly group so don't be afraid about using your full name.

To answer your question, look at this SMC thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22927) and the thread I link to in that thread.

The gist of this is that I moved (2) 1500+ pound machines down a hatchway and set of cellar stairs.

After you've been through the threads holler if you have questions about the method I used and I'll clear up any questions. The gist of the technique is making wooden sleds to mount your machine(s) on and sliding those down rails mounted over the stairs.

Rob

Bart Leetch
10-29-2005, 1:14 PM
Rob

I am saying this all in fun:D :D :D .

I went back to the links you posted & really enjoyed reading the posts & even found what in my case was humor. Remember this is all in good fun.:D :D :D
"Now - MiniMax. If I weren't going to buy a Felder, I'd buy a MM. To me, that's sort of like going from a Mercedes to an Audi. Either one is way better than a Chevy Cavalier."

Case in point my tricycles that I hope to exchange for Volkswagens someday.

Now the Volkswagons.

A Grizzly 8" Jointer
My Dads Foley 12" planer,molder, gang rip system.

Remember this is all in fun.:eek: :D :D :D

Edit:
So how do you put the pictures where you want them in the post?

Dan Forman
10-29-2005, 3:42 PM
Bart, look in the support forum, there are directions posted there.

Dan

Bob Johnson2
10-31-2005, 4:01 PM
I did it the same as Alan, a come-along, towing strap around a poplar tree, and a suitable lenght of chain. The planer (and a CS), was straped to a HD furniture hand truck and slowly lowered down. Worked much easier then I had envisioned. Watch where you stand. As the planer was in 2 crates I had to hoist the head up onto the base once in the basement. Kind of tight quarters but it worked.