PDA

View Full Version : Help with Scroll Saw selection

Bill Dindner
08-14-2017, 12:59 PM
In the market for a scroll saw, something for small projects and inlays. Maybe for more in the future.

I"m not very price sensitive, I'll gladly spend more for a better tool.

However, I am space limited, and I plan on keeping this on a shelf.

Id like a small relatively light Saw that I can store away and not take up much space, but still packed with quality features.

Any recommendations?

larry senen
08-14-2017, 1:14 PM
can't go wrong with a 16" excaliber.sp ?i can even use #00 blades with the right tension.

Johanna Johanson
08-14-2017, 1:30 PM
I don't know if any scroll saws are smaller than average. I have an RBI Hawk and love it. That said, it's on a stand that allows me to sit to use it and that stand takes up quite a bit of space.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2017, 1:39 PM
Since money is no object, I would look at the Excalibur brand scroll saws. What is different about it and one other brand is that the blade assembly tilts and not the table. Thus, you are not fighting gravity on an angled surface as you are cutting. I bought the 21" version Excalibur.

Bill Dindner
08-14-2017, 1:47 PM
can't go wrong with a 16" excaliber.sp ?i can even use #00 blades with the right tension.

Thanks I will look into that

I don't know if any scroll saws are smaller than average. I have an RBI Hawk and love it. That said, it's on a stand that allows me to sit to use it and that stand takes up quite a bit of space.

That one is a bit too large and heavy for me. thanks anyway

Since money is no object, I would look at the Excalibur brand scroll saws. What is different about it and one other brand is that the blade assembly tilts and not the table. Thus, you are not fighting gravity on an angled surface as you are cutting. I bought the 21" version Excalibur.

I wouldn't say money is no object, bu darn, that excalibur is expensive. It's also pretty heavy, I will have to think about this one. I wish there was a lighter 14'' excalibur (at around $500)

Ben Rivel
08-14-2017, 2:07 PM
The DeWalt 20" DW788 is the tried and true and for the money you wont find anything better.

Where are you located? There's no location listed on your profile.

Bill Dindner
08-14-2017, 2:15 PM
The DeWalt 20" DW788 is the tried and true and for the money you wont find anything better.

Where are you located? There's no location listed on your profile.

I wish I had the space for saw like that, but it's huge and close to 70 LBs, can't allocate the space in my 1 car garage shop

Ben Rivel
08-14-2017, 2:19 PM
I wish I had the space for saw like that, but it's huge and close to 70 LBs, can't allocate the space in my 1 car garage shop
Darn, thats too bad. Really is a nice scroll saw. What about if you made a flip cart that could hold it and something else. Like one of these: LINK (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLSIgyhlwuU)

John Sincerbeaux
08-14-2017, 2:24 PM
Johanna, you have the coolest name ever!

Bill Dindner
08-14-2017, 2:33 PM
Darn, thats too bad. Really is a nice scroll saw. What about if you made a flip cart that could hold it and something else. Like one of these: LINK (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLSIgyhlwuU)

I can't with the space I have, I am Pretty much maxed out on floor space. just have some shelves left

John Sincerbeaux
08-14-2017, 2:40 PM
Like most woodworking machines, weight is good.
I think any of the scroll saws mentioned are great saws and would serve you well. Maybe make room in a spare room in your home. Really doesn't take that much space. I converted a spare room into my marquetry studio.
Another thumbs up for the dewalt. I have paid for my Martin T60C using my scroll saw.
Take a marquetry course from Paul Schurch. Not only will you learn Marquetry but he has several different saws for you to try.
Good luck

Peter Christensen
08-14-2017, 9:09 PM
I don't suppose you have enough ceiling height to lift the saw and stand with a Kayak/Canoe hoist and leave it hanging? The hoists only cost about $50 or less.

Bill Dindner
08-15-2017, 6:45 AM
Like most woodworking machines, weight is good.
I think any of the scroll saws mentioned are great saws and would serve you well. Maybe make room in a spare room in your home. Really doesn't take that much space. I converted a spare room into my marquetry studio.
Another thumbs up for the dewalt. I have paid for my Martin T60C using my scroll saw.
Take a marquetry course from Paul Schurch. Not only will you learn Marquetry but he has several different saws for you to try.
Good luck

i live in New York City in a 2000sf house and have 3 little kids, so as you can imagine no extra rooms. I may just go for the 16" Excalibur.

That class as looks amazing, I think one day I'd like to take it.

I don't suppose you have enough ceiling height to lift the saw and stand with a Kayak/Canoe hoist and leave it hanging? The hoists only cost about $50 or less.

never considered that, the ceilings aren't that high, but there may be room.

Robert Parent
08-15-2017, 7:50 AM
I have a Hegner and think it's a very nice saw.

Robert

Geoff Crimmins
08-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Hegner has some nice smaller scrollsaws. They are available in the US from Advanced Machinery. If you don't put it on a steel stand it will need to be clamped down to a heavy workbench. Delta used to make a 16" scrollsaw that's pretty inexpensive and reasonable quality. Inspect one closely before buying, though, because repair parts probably aren't available.

Steve Mellott
08-23-2017, 4:56 PM
I think most scroll saws are on a stand with the same size footprint. I am not aware of any that you can store "on a shelf."

Peter Kuhlman
08-23-2017, 5:46 PM
Another vote for Hegner. Had a Dewalt and hated it. Was no use of me doing stack cutting as the blade runs at such angles causing top and bottom pieces to be no where near identical. The Hegner isn't perfect but is far better for stack cutting. They make several different sizes and are built to last with high quality motors and bearings. The older Dewalt were made in Canada but then moved to China or Mexico. The new ones I have seen were no where near as nicely finished as the original version.

Most scroll saws have vibration due to their stroke action so work best anchored to a stand with some mass. My Dewalt and Hegner had to be clamped to a bench or attached to a stand to use.

richard poitras
08-23-2017, 6:23 PM
The Excalibur is no longer available:eek: or should I say out of production at this time??

richard poitras
08-23-2017, 6:35 PM
Seyco ST-21 Scroll Saw

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-seyco-st-21-scroll-saw-review-video.html.

Larry Frank
08-23-2017, 7:37 PM
Unfortunately, a quality scroll saw is neither light weight or small. I have a Hegner and like it. I just tried an Excalibur this last week and took a good look at the new Seyco.

I would suggest visiting Scroll Saw Village forum to get better info from those folks with lots of experience. What saw you get depends on exactly what you want to do with it. That forum has lots of examples of different types of projects.

Bill Dindner
08-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Unfortunately, a quality scroll saw is neither light weight or small. I have a Hegner and like it. I just tried an Excalibur this last week and took a good look at the new Seyco.

I would suggest visiting Scroll Saw Village forum to get better info from those folks with lots of experience. What saw you get depends on exactly what you want to do with it. That forum has lots of examples of different types of projects.

I'm gathering that a decent Saw is too large and heavy for my shop. I would like to start including scrolling into my projects, may just get a light cheepo model, and see how it goes.

Peter Kuhlman
08-23-2017, 11:04 PM
The really low cost saws use blades with pins. You will quickly realize that the scroll saws under about $200 new are of very little use. The pin type blades prevent doing most inside cuts as the hole you drill would be so large. I feel they are a total waste of money.

I highly recommend you search for used saws on Craigslist and other such sites. Often people find they don't use the saw enough and sell it. You are likely to find a saw worth using and keeping.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2017, 11:11 PM
At another forum web site, I read an article where the guy was unable to provide support to a website user so he contacted the local GI Excalibur salesman. According to the article, GI sold the Excalibur scroll saw to King Canada who is now manufacturing it rebranded as Excelsior. There were comments about the possibility of King Canada potentially allowing the quality of the Excelsior not remain at the same high quality of it's Excalibur predecessor.

The same article said GI was too busy building scroll saws for Jet to take care of their own brand.

I looked at the Jet 22" scroll saw and it sure appears very similar to my Excalibur. One responder to the article had a wife who is a professional scrollsawer. She saws 6-8 hours a day. The motor on her Excalibur burned up. She was going to have to wait for a replacement so she bought a Jet. She's had several saws of different brands but prefers her Excalibur and her Jet.

Peter Kuhlman
08-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Would a 10" bandsaw do what you need? The Rikon (Craftsman) 10" saw is available from $200-300. Won't do inside cuts of course but will do outside scrolling with a narrow blade plus other type work. Not very lite weight and while a compact base they are tall. I have one and it is sure useful. Also have a 14" bandsaw but the small one gets used a lot now for outdoor projects.

Brandon Speaks
08-24-2017, 3:28 PM
I have the dewalt and am quite happy with it. It is heavy but not that hard to move down below the bench when not in use. I have never had a need to bolt it down.

Mark Felps
08-25-2017, 3:12 AM
I haven't used one (I have a DeWalt), but Proxxon makes a scroll saw with a very different form factor.
At $150, it's also cheap enough that you might be willing to give it a try and not go broke if it doesn't do the job.
https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collections/bench-top-units-and-related-accessories/products/scroll-saw-ds-115-e

They have a larger model, but I'm not sure it's any space savings from an Excaliber, DeWalt, Hengel, etc.
https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collections/bench-top-units-and-related-accessories/products/2-speed-scroll-saw-ds-460

Raymond Seward
08-25-2017, 7:29 AM
I've got a vintage Rockwell 40-440 with variable speed Reeves drive for sale.....buy that :-)

Bill Dindner
08-25-2017, 7:41 AM
I haven't used one (I have a DeWalt), but Proxxon makes a scroll saw with a very different form factor.
At $150, it's also cheap enough that you might be willing to give it a try and not go broke if it doesn't do the job.
https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collections/bench-top-units-and-related-accessories/products/scroll-saw-ds-115-e

They have a larger model, but I'm not sure it's any space savings from an Excaliber, DeWalt, Hengel, etc.
https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collections/bench-top-units-and-related-accessories/products/2-speed-scroll-saw-ds-460

I think the smaller Proxxon looks promising, need to do some research. Thanks.

Johanna Johanson
08-25-2017, 2:57 PM
Johanna, you have the coolest name ever!
Thanks, John. There are quite a few members of my Norwegian family who have the same name. We seem to lack imagination.

Johanna Johanson
08-25-2017, 3:04 PM
I'm gathering that a decent Saw is too large and heavy for my shop. I would like to start including scrolling into my projects, may just get a light cheepo model, and see how it goes.
One nice thing about scroll saws is that they do not create all that much dust. I think it would be reasonable to use one in the house. The issue, as others have stated, is that the saw does have to be attached to something heavy enough to absorb vibration.

I wonder if there is someone in your area who would be willing to let you try their saw to see if you are going to enjoy using a scroll saw. Try making a puzzle or doing some very simple marquetry - whatever you think you are going to be using it for.

Larry Frank
08-25-2017, 7:27 PM
I am sorry but a scroll saw creates very fine dust and it can get everywhere. My scroll saw creates enough dust that I would not use it inside without very good dust collection. The very fine dust and is the most hazardous.

Peter Kuhlman
08-25-2017, 10:45 PM
Some of the better saws have dust collection ports. My Hegner hooked up to my Festool Midi vac barely leaves any dust at all. Would take days of cutting to have a handful on the floor. Very quiet saw and vac and easily used inside a house.

Mark W Pugh
12-21-2020, 12:33 PM
Any updates to this 2017 thread. Wifey needs to buy me something for Xmas, so...........

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2020, 12:45 PM
The King Industrial appears to be the Excelsior design. The major advantage being the table remains flat and the cutting arm and blade tilt. You don't have to fight gravity when scrolling. Most designs have the table tilting thus one is not only concentrating on cutting on a line but fighting gravity too.

Mark W Pugh
12-21-2020, 1:09 PM
The King Industrial appears to be the Excelsior design. The major advantage being the table remains flat and the cutting arm and blade tilt. You don't have to fight gravity when scrolling. Most designs have the table tilting thus one is not only concentrating on cutting on a line but fighting gravity too.

Any comments on quality now since it changed hands? I don't mind spending the wifey's money on something I may not need, but hey.........

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2020, 1:25 PM
Any comments on quality now since it changed hands? I don't mind spending the wifey's money on something I may not need, but hey.........

I can't comment on the King Industrial version as I have the 21" Excelsior made by GI before they went defunct. If you google you can find several forums that deal exclusively with scrolls saws and they would probably have better advice.

Our local WoodCraft closed and though it's reopened under a new owner, I haven't been there so I haven't actually seen one. That said, the King Industrial does have a dust collector shroud and hookup.

Mark W Pugh
12-21-2020, 3:12 PM
Looking at Pegas. Any new comments?

dennis thompson
12-24-2020, 10:30 PM
Looking at Pegas. Any new comments?

I have had a Pegas for a couple of months, it a great saw. I bought it from QTE, North America, ( qtena.com) and was very happy with their service. I think it was $800 plus shipping. The price was the same at several places I looked at, only the shipping was different. I was amazed at how well it was packed, it was actually bolted to a piece of plywood as part of the packing.

Dave VanDewerker
12-25-2020, 12:56 PM
A good starter scroll saw is the Dewalt, the next step up would be the Seyco or the Pegus, on the high end Hegner and RBI. All good saws, just how much money you want to spend.