PDA

View Full Version : Maple burl.........void?

Travis Stinson
10-28-2005, 6:53 PM
I've been working on this the past couple days. Just finished buffing the lacquer today at wor.......err, lunch. 12" diameter by about 5.5" tall. Voids are fun!:D

Ed Scolforo
10-28-2005, 7:10 PM
Travis: Beautiful grain, form and finish. That must have been a real challenge! Just one thing: In my humble opinion, I think the piece would have been better without those rings on top, probably because of the irregularity of the rim. They just don't seem to fit, but I could very well be wrong. Anyway, a stunning piece!
Ed

Don Baer
10-28-2005, 7:13 PM
Heck the piece I've been trying to turn is starting to look a little like that accept it's not a burl.. I think it wants to be a fresbee.

Great job and I bet it was a bit of a challange.

Mark Cothren
10-28-2005, 7:16 PM
What a great piece, Travis! Looks like that would have been "fun" to turn... lil' bit of a "pucker factor" there, eh?

Nice finish, too!

Thanks for the picture!

John Miliunas
10-28-2005, 7:30 PM
Travis, that is just totally awesome!!!!:) How on Earth, did you keep that piece from blowing up into a dozen pieces is beyond me! The finish is killer, as well. Hmmmm....wonder if they'd let me drag my buffing equipment into the office with me????:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 7:30 PM
Holy Moly, Miss America, er, I mean, Travis, I am surprised that this piece didn't fly apart while you were turning it. Spectacular! You do wonders on that 3520...Does the tiara catch all those flying chips? Inquiring minds wanta know....:p :eek:

The jabs aside, beautiful!:D

Jim Ketron
10-28-2005, 7:32 PM
Oh yea I agree Mark!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Some amazing work Travis. Keep these pieces like this coming;)
Its amazing to me how you keep them together:eek:

Travis Stinson
10-28-2005, 7:38 PM
Mike, I tell ya, the heels are the killers!:eek:
Thanks guys. Actually, it wasn't that bad, I left the bark inclusions in until the end.
Ed, I'm with you on the rings, I could take em or leave em, just one of those spur of the moment things.

Dick Parr
10-28-2005, 7:59 PM
WOW Mr. that is really another great looking turning to add to the list of greats. Fine job Travis.;)

Jim Becker
10-28-2005, 8:16 PM
I really admire "fragile" pieces like this. Wonderful execution!!

Michael Stafford
10-28-2005, 8:34 PM
Mike, I tell ya, the heels are the killers!:eek:

But you do rise above the chips.....eh?:D

Loy Hawes
10-28-2005, 8:48 PM
Beautiful work! and for what it's worth, I like the rings.

Keith Burns
10-28-2005, 9:45 PM
Travis, thats what I call turning "art". One fantistic piece. I think you could put a stem on it and enter it in a goblet contest.:D

Dennis Peacock
10-29-2005, 12:59 AM
That's real purdy Travis....but it won't hold much homemade chili will it?:p :rolleyes:

Beautiful, and I'm with Mark and Jim on this one....big pucker factor.!!!! At least it would be for me.:D

Glenn Hodges
10-29-2005, 5:48 AM
Travis, that is so nice. This is the kind of work people will admire for its beauty and say how did you do it? Carole, would you attempt this one?

John Hart
10-29-2005, 6:12 AM
Another spectacular piece Travis. I swear, you could turn a chunk of Bleu Cheese if you wanted to!!!;)