PDA

View Full Version : What to do...part two

steven c newman
08-13-2017, 12:45 AM
Other thread was getting a bit long....so, how about an update to start this second part?

Have the 1/4" plywood on hand, Have 10 "White Birch" knobs and 4 foot pads.

I tried to resize a few drawer sides.....crosscuts were fine.....two boards needed ripped for width. Trouble with the old bandsaw.....stalled dead, even without the v-belt on the motor....NOT GOOD! :mad:

Have torn the saw down.....thrust bearings were frozen ( now have been "un-frozen") drive wheel looked nasty. Cleaned everything out, plenty of WD40 and PBlaster. Will bring the air compressor down to the shop Sunday, and blow EVERYTHING out/off. Finally got the motor to spin up to speed....took a while, but I finally got it so the drive wheel would spin. Whew.:D Got out an old file, while the drive wheel was spinning along.....cleaned the crud off the bare wheel ( tire will be put on Sunday) and gave things a tune up for balance..

While things were spinning ( no blade, nor covers) I shot some "lube" into the spinning parts. 90% of the vibration is gone, now. Thrust bearings spin freely,, don't look very good, but they work nicely.

Tuesday, I pick up a few more Maple planks....doing a bit of trading. Drawer #5 will get re-done...and maybe a few Knot-free sides? :rolleyes:

Not a very good start, but....we'll get this done...stay tuned.:D

Mike Baker 2
08-13-2017, 2:26 PM
Glad you got the band saw sorted.Look forward to the drawer building portion.

steven c newman
08-13-2017, 3:58 PM
Took two people to install that...tire. Will try to get the saw back together in a bit.....then maybe some woodworking....

steven c newman
08-13-2017, 7:56 PM
Ok, saw is back together. Needs a "starter" to get up to speed, before I turn the motor on...
I place that wire brush onto the drive pulley..
This one. Due to the rotation, drill runs in reverse. I spin things up to speed, then turn the motor on. Saw run fine, then. Has a brand new blade installed, too.

Anyway, Drawer wars 1 was underway,,,,
Picked two that were close in size to each other.....not real worried about the knot, either.
Jointed the edges. Got out a few tools..
Well most of them. Had a few others in use, today...
Laid out the pins onto the drawer front.
And carried the lines on around. No.4 backsaw, next.
I tried to split the lines, or at least stay on the waste side....
Set up to do a bit of chopping..
BRB, ran out of picture space..

steven c newman
08-13-2017, 8:10 PM
Ok, chopping out the waste..
I chop about halfway down, leaving a bit for support, for the next part..
One end done. I went ahead and chopped the pins on the other end....for some reason...I came up one pin short? 6 on this end, but only five on the other...meh...try better on the other "Half Drawer"

Sides: They are not as wide as the front is....not a biggie ( have a "plan" for that) one end was a hair out of square..
Easy fix. Used the pins to lay out the tails...had to mark which end went where....I needed the lines only on one side....Bandsaw is the tool of choice..
Then chop out the waste...
Dry fits..
Needs a little tune up...second one was almost too snug. One nice item in the shop..
Much easier doing all of this sitting down. Will need to set up this plane to cut grooves for drawer bottoms

Rather than keep switching out cutters for each drawer....dados for the back of the drawers with be done with the mitre box to cut the side walls, then pop the waste out with a chisel...

Been a long day.....Southwick's Premium Irish Ale is now cold enough...time to close the shop.

Stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
08-13-2017, 8:16 PM
Nice work.
I will have to remember to build me a stool. I'm betting standing bent over a bench for a while, my back will appreciate it.

Pat Barry
08-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Ok, saw is back together. Needs a "starter" to get up to speed, before I turn the motor on...
I place that wire brush onto the drive pulley...

Maybe need a new starting capacitor on that motor?

steven c newman
08-14-2017, 1:51 PM
Intend to check it out, when I get a bit of time to take the motor off the saw.....

Picked up 3 boards of maple today ( doing a bit of trading...) 1 x 8 x 9'......Looking like one drawer front, and all the sides I'll need. Might have some left over for drawer backs, too.

Need to get busy and crosscut some of them down to size....IF I have enough for all five drawer sides. I MIGHT redo that first drawer....

Giving the thumb a day out of the plastic splint....was bothering the thumb a bot too much....thumb is still fat and ugly....still won't move. Find out tomorrow morning what they intend to do..

steven c newman
08-14-2017, 8:52 PM
Ok, saw is running. I have a wire cup brush in a cordless drill. Set to match the rotation of the drive belt pulley. I apply the wire cup to the pulley, and use the drill to get the pulley up to speed....then turn the saw's motor "on". Runs fine.

Picked three maple planks up today. 1 x 8 x 8' long. Hauled them done to the shop, one at a time..
Two were rather plain looking.....I left #3 upstairs. At least it has some spalt going on.

Was going to use this saw to crosscut the planks..
But, needing 10 drawers sides cut, my "Get-up-n-go" quickly got up and went,after the first part had been cut....Vintage Sears Circular saw took over..
Then used a drawer front to mark all of these for width...the CORRECT width..cordless saw starter to get the bandsaw running.

Left a wavy cut, we have ways of dealing with "wavy"
Sides are 14" long. So is the Millers Falls No. 14.....
Then dug through the stack to fine a couple the same thickness...have two junky sides to replace.

That first drawer had sides that weren't wide enough.....first order was to replace those two
And a little better job on the tails, too....Stashed this on away..
Will plane to fit, once the glue up has been done. Drawer Number 2

I usually do NOT work in the shop on Mondays....Laid out the pins on the drawer front's edges....had inside label, top and bottom labeled....and cut the wrong pins..
Sooo. The "inside" now is the "outside".....someone asked about doing smaller pins?
Decided to quit right here for the day, before any other items go wrong...

Doctor visit in the morning for this thumb that isn't healing...then a few errands...maybe late afternoon I can get a bit of shoptime?

Stay tuned

steven c newman
08-15-2017, 8:53 PM
X-rays of the thumb came back A-ok.....allowed to use the thumb again!:D.......maybe I can get back up to speed, been moving at the speed of smell, lately

Ok, moved a few supplies to the shop...needed a place to stash them....
Poplar for the drawer backs, plywood for the drawer bottoms...sitting on top of the Washer as a "shelf" (shhhhhh:rolleyes:)
Transferred lines to make sure the dovetails matched each other..
That way, the same number of pins and tails are used...( 7)..
Backsaw to split the lines....biggest thing is the mark what IS the waste sections...hate when I get that messed up...:mad:
Chopped out the waste, after double-checking to make sure they were right. Used those pins to lay out the tails..
Had to sharpen the pencil up. Rough trying to hold things still, while tracing around each pin....
Then come back with a square, and mark a "stop-line" for the bandsaw cuts...
hey, the less I have to chisel out, the better I like it..
Set this aside for a bit..
As I needed the other drawer, with those BIG dovetails.....BRB...stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
08-15-2017, 9:04 PM
Good news on the thumb! Awesome.
I have done some practice dovetails..... and chiseled or cut the wrong thing away. Nice to know it won't get any better, lol.

steven c newman
08-15-2017, 9:07 PM
Decided to clean up the dovetails on the other drawer..
Set up the Stanley 45 to plough a few grooves..
had to cobble a jig to hold parts still long enough to mill the groove for the drawer's bottom...helps when I rub the skates with an old candle..and some of the "flakes" land in the grooves.
Rather than keep switching cutters on the 45....I set the depth stops on the Langdon 75, made two cuts. A chisel to pop the waste out. Dado for the drawer's back is done...got a Poplar back cut to size on the bandsaw....
Checked for square....needed a bit of plywood for the bottom....unable to use the bandsaw....had to drag out the Atkins 59 and hand cut the plywood bottom...whew...
Had to bevel the edges of the plywood, to get a nice fit..
Decided to spread some Elmer's around...
All clamped up....but, I needed the bench cleared, to work on the next drawer...where to stash this, until the glue dries..
Why on that shelf on the washer, of course....
Got the grooves and dado done on the second drawer..
Then it was Suppertime!....maybe when the glue dries, I can finish drawer #2?

Stay tuned

Stew Denton
08-15-2017, 9:31 PM
Hi Steven,

A second "GREAT NEWS" on the thumb, and the project is coming along in spite of the thumb condition....now may get better!

Stew

steven c newman
08-16-2017, 3:08 PM
First drawer is out of the clamps..
Has a "bad" corner to be fix....cleaned all the sides, marked a center point on the drawer front to drill a pilot hole..
And installed one of these..
And stashed the drawer..
Next drawer has be glued up..
366193And then stashed away...

Brought out parts for the next drawer..
And laid out pins for the next trip to the shop..
Bench was getting a might crowded..
Pizza Hut for Lunch...will take a break for awhile...
Stay tuned

steven c newman
08-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Ok, got the pins done on both ends of Drawer #3..
Used these pins to lay out the tails. Once the sides were done, I dry fitted things up, then stashed them in the case..
I got Drawer #2 out of the clamps...cleaned it up with a Stanley #4c. Installed the knob..
Maybe tomorrow, I can start to get something done? Need to cut grooves and dados, and a back and bottom. Need to get #3 in the clamps before suppertime, tomorrow...then get a start on #4? As for those chisels?
Rather a mixed bag of users. 1/8" up to 1"......and about everything in-between...
Stay tuned...I might get busy, before too much longer

steven c newman
08-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Trying to get Motivated this morning.....too hot outside.....Need to haul a few more boards to the shop, today.....

Will see how the Plough Plane does.....except mine is 92 years old....

Might have enough 1/4" plywood in the shop to make a bottom for #3 Drawer....will need to line up it's knobs with the two above it...

steven c newman
08-17-2017, 6:28 PM
Hauled ONE plank of Poplar to the shop ( how is that for getting motivated?) Cut it done to length with the Disston D-8. It was a tad wide...so a rip cut with the bandsaw....then a few trips along the sawn edge with a small jointer...
Then a few clean ups with a #4....Set this aside. Cut the plywood bottom to almost the size needed ( more on THAT, later)
Set up a jig to hold the drawer front, and then the two sides. Each had a 1/4" x 1/4" groove ploughed....then a dado was laid out..
Getting better at this..I even did a knife line, to guide the dado saw..
Yes, I use that mitre Box to saw the walls. Depth stops were set as needed. Brought it back to a jig on the bench..
And used a few chisels to clear out the waste....then a dry fit..
And, make sure the back is the right height. Got both sides done. Had to bevel the edges of the 1/4" plywood to FIT into the 1/4" ( #12 cutter) grooves. Started to glue the drawer up...plywood AND the back were each a 1/4" too long? Grrrr, a quick trip to the bandsaw to remove the offending excess.....Glue on the fingers, again, but 6 clamps later..
Set this mess aside. Even made a mess on the floor, again..
We have broom for such things...

Getting a bit long with this episode, soo BRB, stay tuned...

steven c newman
08-17-2017, 6:39 PM
The reason I broke this up.....the other half of this afternoon's "Follies" involve a bit of work..
Got the two sides for the next drawer out. One was a hair wider....Junior Jack to fix that. Figured out which to make "Inside" "Top" and Bottom, after opening the paired sides like a book.
Not the prettiest, back they are sides for a drawer. Set these aside, to work on the next drawer front.....had a curve to one edge..
A No. 7 was a tad long, so I used a #5-1/2 to get rid of the curve.
Used one of the sides to check on width....
yep, need a bit off the "top" Jumbo Jack back to work..
Remember, this is Curly Maple I am working with...Double checked for width.....then into the vise to lay out some pins..
Hmmmm, methinks this is going to be...."FUN":eek:
Swept the floor, had errands to run. MIGHT try a little saw work later, after Supper?

I think I'm gaining on it.....stay tuned..

steven c newman
08-18-2017, 1:19 AM
Had a yard to mow tonight,,,,a brand new 21" push mower. Kind of tired, remembered I had left the fan on in the shop..stumbled my way to the shop, shut the fan off, but...not before I had removed the clamps from the glue up. Will try again in the morning, and see IF I can get that drawer done, and the next to last one IN the clamps....

lowell holmes
08-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Had a yard to mow tonight,,,,a brand new 21" push mower. Kind of tired, remembered I had left the fan on in the shop..stumbled my way to the shop, shut the fan off, but...not before I had removed the clamps from the glue up. Will try again in the morning, and see IF I can get that drawer done, and the next to last one IN the clamps....

I have not seen a push mower in Texas in 20 years. I have a riding mower, seldom use it.

A yard service cuts my grass. This old dog does not cut grass anymore.:)

steven c newman
08-18-2017, 3:06 PM
Didn't have much choice...the city will fine people for too tall grass,....

Anyway, back to work...
These were "fun" to do..this after the backsaw was done..
Used these, and the pins on the other end, to layout the tails. Once the tails were done, and fitted up, I place Drawer #4 in it's new home for now..
The one above it needed a few things done..
Corners planed smooth..
Screws added to reinforce the back corners..and
Some to reinforce the bottom....hate saggy bottoms...

Added a couple knobs. Had to line them up with the two above the drawer, and centered in the drawer front..
Busy morning. may, or may not work on Drawer #4.....laid on some Poplar for the back of the drawer. Plywood for the bottom? need to cut the panel for the back of the case, first. Then I can see where to cut the drawer bottom panels at. Late Lunch, today....

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
08-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Because all I WAS going to do was get a couple measurements....:rolleyes: I didn't get the camera out.

Ok measurements taken of the back of the case, to see what size panel I needed to cut....came back upstairs to the 4' x 4' panel....and tried to mark a few lines....wound up tossing the panel on top of the dinning room table, grabbing a 4' level as a straight edge. Was getting a bit flustered....

Hauled that panel outside to cut it with a cordless circular saw.....wound up needing a little rool-around cooler to help hold it still. Then fought to get the "remains" back into the house, and the saw, and the panel I needed to cut...about tossed it down the steps to the shop....

Dry fit showed a wavy line needed trimmed off...bandsaw worked just fine. Screws to attach the back wanted to go anywhere but into the wood. Back was installed, inspite of itself.

Walnut plugs were popped out, a dab of glue applied, and then they were hammered into the counter-bored holes in the case's front. Drawers were sliding all over the place, finally just set them aside. Got the plugs down, laid the case on it's side..and hammered in the foot pads. Then stood the case back up. Swept the floor, then put the case back where it was. re-installed the drawers. Decided to at least cut a back for drawer #4 out of Poplar..

Had it marked for the cut, was going to clamp it to the bench....went and got the saw, then clamped the board. Saw is a Disston D-8 crosscut. I even rubbed the plate with that old candle..

Set the cut-off part into the scrap stack, and then planed the end grain square. Hauled a load from the dryer up the steps, and closed the shop...had more than enough fun for one day...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
08-19-2017, 7:11 PM
Ok, LONG road trip today, not much shop time....

Pictures of the aftermath of last night's follies?
After all that cussing and fussing, back is installed. Just screws, in case one needs to remove the back in the future...
The Walnut plugs that wer hammered in, with a dab of glue....and made the drawers move around too much...
The Poplar plank for Drawer #4's back. I used a Disston D-8. Saw was made about 1953....same age as me. Can still read the etch on the 8 point, 26" crosscut saw.
Got everything back in place.

Picked a light for the bench, today..$2
So...maybe I can actually see what I am doing?
Cleaned out under the bandsaw today...
even found a few tools that had slipped off the back of the bench...
Need to clean a couple tools up, from the rust hunt, this morning.
Even found a new chair ...
$5...same place I found the light.

Not a great day...still got something done, inspite of last night.....better luck tomorrow?

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
08-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Been working out a solution to a problem with the drawers...:mad:..it will be a bit of a surprise when I am ready to show it off.;) Top two drawers have been worked on, as a test run....

One drawer is clamped up, waiting on glue to cure. Drawer #2 is waiting on those clamps, so it can be glued up, too

Then a bit of trimming, maybe a little sanding, then back into the case...maybe then I'll post a picture. :rolleyes: Need to get busy on the last two drawer builds. Drawer #3 will get the "FIX" once the other two are done.

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
08-20-2017, 12:19 PM
One little hint...someone complained about those "exposed" dovetails on the drawer fronts.....there is a way, used long ago, to cover up such exposed things....think about it.....

getting taken out to Lunch today, Pastor whats to thank the Boss and I for that desk I built him.....that he now uses to teach from. Soooo, since I am all dressed up, I am "Banned" from the shop, until after we get back home!!! Not allowed to get this brand new shirt the least bit dirty, after all.

Maybe this evening, I can get a few pictures of the "exposed" drawer front fix?

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
08-20-2017, 7:39 PM
Hmmm, Got some Maple Noodles made...
Some dados made..
A dry fit, after cutting a plywood panel and the back to final size.
Then glue, clamps and screws. I also glued up a smaller drawer..
There is a hint of what was done....IF you look closely....
Stanley 45 works nicely for these grooves..
Now, about those "exposed" dovetails someone was complaining about. ( even complained about the plywood AND the bandsaw.:eek:..horrors!)
I supposed this will just have to do....can't have naked dovetails running around...:rolleyes::eek:

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
08-21-2017, 9:49 AM
This being a Monday....Shop is normally Closed.

Depending on how bored I get today, that is....

Might try to get the last plank of Maple down to the shop...need it for the last drawer build.

Stay tuned

( "Master Baggins, I suggest you keep up.")

steven c newman
08-21-2017, 8:09 PM
Was only going to remove some clamps......Drawer #4 now has two knobs, and the walnut trim done,,,,then set aside, all clamped up..
Got to be a better way to attach those strips....
I cleaned up the walnut on Drawer #2
Which left Drawer #3....a few saw cuts...
From both sides. Then some chisels and rasps, and a slick, to clean the "bed" for each strip of walnut....added a coat of Elmer's and mooshed it around....then pinned it in place with a few small nails....that Ill drive out of sight later...Place this drawer back in the case..
Hmm, needed to bring that plank down to the shop....8' long does not work very well going down those steps....or trying to land it on the bench.....had the saw ready....cut a couple parts about 24-1/4" long...kept the better of the two for a front..
Saw is a 1953 Disston D-8..8ppi, crosscut. Has a fully readable etch..
And, cuts as well as the operator can make it....:rolleyes:
Soo, this is about the best of this plank, and it will be the bottom drawer's front..
Some of that plank looked like trouble..
A little too much going on, for a drawer front? Splits and Knots....:mad:.

Wasn't much done today...might have been a little more exciting than that "Eclipse"....seen through a thunderstorm....

Stay tuned, I might get something done, tomorrow...:rolleyes:

Chris Hachet
08-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Impressive!

lowell holmes
08-22-2017, 12:54 PM
In deed, it is impressive.

steven c newman
08-22-2017, 3:57 PM
Thank you....keeps me out of the local Taverns...

OK, last drawer needs worked on. Sides I had,....were way too thick, almost 4/4"

Decided to cut new sides. At least they will match the thickness of the drawer's front
Different crosscut saw, today. I like to rotate them through...two sides were cut to almost the right length, needed to clean up/square the ends..
small jointer for the rough edges...
And a larger jointer for the edges of the drawer's front.
Stanley No. 6c, type 10...looks like this will be a two-parter....
Welcome to my world....new light seems to help out.
Laid out for more saw work...
Helps when I rub the saw's plate with a candle...
Laid out a few chisels, and a mallet. Chop 1/2 way down then flip the board over, and finish the chops.
Hmm, out of picture space? Ok, Part 2, coming right up...stay tuned

steven c newman
08-22-2017, 4:06 PM
Ok, Pins were done on both ends of the drawer front..
Used these, AND a sharp pencil, to lay out the tails. Bandsaw to cut the waste side of the lines..and a little extra in-between..
The less I have to chop out, the better. As with the pins, I chop 1/2 way from each face...and clean up..
About time for dry fits?
Didn't want to dry it all the way in.....
Joints are tight, there is nothing else holding this up, but those joints. Late lunch, and then I'll see about putting this 92 yr old to work..
Need grooves to house the bottom. Since this is the last of the drawers, I can switch the 45 over to do a couple 3/4" dados...

Busy afternoon, maybe more later? Stay tuned....:D

steven c newman
08-22-2017, 10:42 PM
Well, couldn't sit around and do nothing, all evening, so...
Made some grooves....dug out The Box..
Changed out the #12 cutter, for an 18-1/2 cutter....set the spurs
PITA to do...Rigged up a way to hold the drawer sides in place
Before I started to make a dado...I ran the spurs back towards me, to score the wood, then followed up with a backsaw to prevent any blowouts..
Then repeat for the other side. Resaw to make the back..
Also needed shortened a bit. Got the plywood cut for the bottom....took a few tries. Bevel the edges so it will slip into the grooves better..
Once everything fit together, a glue up was done...:D:D:D Added a few screws to hold the bottom to the back, until the glue dries. couple screws through the sides and into the back.

Gatorades and that fan helped. batteries for the drills were going dead. I think I'll stop for the night...

Need the walnut strips applied tomorrow, and the two knobs. Then a LOT of sanding to prep for Amber Shellac....hopefully this weekend?

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
08-23-2017, 3:27 PM
Drawer taken out of the clamps. Screws from the sides into the back of the drawer were pulled back out, a counter sink was made, then the screws were run back in.

Corners were flattened with a #4c
The recess for the walnut strips was made. Walnut cut to fit and glued and pinned in place..
I leveled the strip with the front of the drawer, AFTER using a nailset to drive the pins in.
Part of the tool list for these drawers, was a rasp....and NOT just any rasp..
Name stamped on it? Johnson. Hmmm

Anyway, got the knobs installed. Then a test fit..
I think this will do....as a PIP?

Need to sand this all done to 220 grit.....then dust it off, before I start brushing on the Amber Shellac
I think the "Build" part is about done....will be back after the finishing is done...thanks for following along.
Fun little project...

steven c newman
08-24-2017, 8:05 AM
And now a question:

Bullseye Amber Shellac will be used......do I thin it down to brush on? DNA to thin? Been almost 30 years since I've used shellac....

Hope I didn't bore anyone...

steven c newman
08-24-2017, 6:11 PM
Case and the drawers have all been sanded down to 150 grit....hand planed as needed, glass-scrapered as needed. Will try to get to 220 grit. tomorrow....

Priced a quart of Bullseye amber shellac.....$14 or so, plus a new brush. Maybe this weekend?

Mark Stutz
08-24-2017, 9:33 PM
I usually thin it. Pretty much eyeball it, since it is a pretty forgiving finish. I like it thinner to start for the first couple of coats.

steven c newman
08-25-2017, 6:01 PM
Top of the chest and the fronts of the drawers are now sanded to 220 grit..
Had a few areas that needed a bit more than sandpaper
Millers Falls #56B. A few high spots.....
Along with this little plane, I used a piece of glass to do a bit of scraper work. Had rough rough spots the sander couldn't reach..

Just a looksee, I wanted to see HOW the BLO would have worked..
Meh..I'll still use the Amber Shellac, as planned.

Need to move this heavy thing upstairs, away from the dusty shop. Might take a couple people to move it...

steven c newman
08-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Still waiting on finishing supplies to arrive....one check is late, and it is the one paying for the stuff. Two retirement checks,, always late when you need them.

1 qt. Bullseye Amber Shellac
1 can (SMALL one) of DNA to thin the shellac
1 tub to mix the two in.
Good brush or two...
Rest of the items I need are already in-house.

Will report when things get a "coating" if anyone wants to see....

steven c newman
08-29-2017, 3:31 PM
Update! Checks are here....may be able to get this little project done.....

May start a new thread..once I figure out what to do with all of these "extras"
Poplar 3/4" thick. There is also some 1/2" x 12" x 8' upstairs...(box project?)
Have some Cherry...mostly a Flame Cherry..
3/4" stuff.....(Drawer fronts?)
Most of the Maple in stock..some Curly, some not....have a couple larger pieces upstairs....
Haven't dug through the scrap pile....at least it doesn't move on it's own. Secondary wood?
Have a bit of Walnut on hand. A 3/4" x 4" x 7' and these little pieces..
That have a fancy grain to them..
maybe "accent" for other woods? Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is working on a plan....waiting to see WHAT it comes up with...

Mike Baker 2
08-29-2017, 4:15 PM
Loaded up with wood! Love it.

steven c newman
08-30-2017, 1:27 AM
First coat or two of amber shellac.
Side view....
Top view...and...
From the front.....will be adding a few more coats Wednesday , I hope. 50/50 amber shellac-DNA....

Mike Baker 2
08-30-2017, 7:08 AM
Beautiful work! Walnut accents look great.

Don Orr
08-30-2017, 11:24 AM
Looking good!

steven c newman
08-30-2017, 3:00 PM
Thank you!

waiting to see how this second coat turns out....before deciding on whether to add a coat of clear gloss varnish...
Maybe?
Couple of spots need fixed, first...
Maybe go without the DNA next coat?

Mike Baker 2
09-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Would look great with a gloss varnish coat. Looks lovely as is.

Stew Denton
09-01-2017, 3:25 PM
Hi Steven,

Count me as one more who really likes the walnut accents.

Stew

steven c newman
09-02-2017, 9:46 AM
Just spent most of the last three days in the local Cardiac Ward.....BP was sky high.....back to "normal" now, new meds in the system.

Might get a new brush for the Poly Gloss. Have a "Tractor Fest" to go to.....might pick up some new brushes, and a few OLD tools. Lots of Rust Hunting to do. Fest runs through Monday.

Rain has all moved south of here....should be a nice dry weekend....
I did not put any finish on the sides of the drawers.....they tend to stick....

steven c newman
09-03-2017, 1:00 PM
Stairs are kicking my rearend today....not much going on, woodworking wise. Would like to clear off the bench..
Keeping the Cherry. May re-saw it down to 3/8" thick, and make another box. maybe add a touch of Walnut or Maple trim?

Still trying to make some use out of the leftovers from that wood pile. Might make something out of that stack of Maple? As soon as I can't get up and down them steps a little better.

May start a new thread....I think the Dresser build is about done. Been fun...