PDA

View Full Version : Beginner laser projects

cody michael
08-11-2017, 1:57 PM
Hello,

What are a few beginner projects to learn how to use a laser? I'm getting some 1/8 plywood today.

Is coreldraw the best option for use with a k40? Is there a specific. Version that works best?

Are there any startup guides out there?

I'm getting one of the cheap Chinese lasers off amazon to play around with.

John Lifer
08-11-2017, 3:14 PM
All kind of things out there. If you are buying ply from a big box, get the better quality. don't get the underlayment it has Mucho Glue that doesn't cut well at all.
instructables.com has a bunch of stuff. (use Laser in your search)
obrary.com has a few easy and some hard projects.
Thingiverse.com has some.
Rabbit laser has a bunch of simple stuff, so does Epilog's site.
If you can't find what you want to do there.....

If you want to really design something, use coreldraw. Especially if you decide to buy a better laser. I'd spend the money for an x version. x8 is last, but it is definitely not needed. I use x7, several here are on x6 or x5.
You can find an older version. Search for k40, there is a few sites devoted to that machine. and facebook groups also.

cody michael
08-11-2017, 3:24 PM
I got a 5x5 sheet of Baltic birch from local wood supplier, it was like 15$ will make lots of blanks.

Bert Kemp
08-11-2017, 6:35 PM
Christmas Oddments, wood coasters, name tags , small things are good learning projects. Wood puzzles, and put togethers I call them LOL Like mentioned Rabbit laser site and epilog site have tons of projects for beginners.